All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 23, 2023, 01:20:52 PM
Quote from: lenny on January 23, 2023, 01:15:18 PM
There's a lot of jealousy and resentment here and people just need to get over themselves. Malachy O'Rourke as expected showed a lot of class afterwards saying Glen would accept the defeat. The ref and 4th official made big mistakes as the subs shouldn't have been allowed onto the field without players coming off. This was purely an officiating error. There's no asterisk or anything else, Crokes are very worthy champions. They'll be celebrating today like any team and the comments of a few jealous people on here will be a long way from their minds. As regards Walsh, fair play to him, he's a great player and will enjoy this victory. Glen did a great job of keeping him quiet though and it was other Crokes players who did the real damage.
I don't think that's fair. I've made a few comments here based on what I think the right thing to do is. I'm not from Glen. It's nothing to do with jealousy or resentment (although the Walsh thing i'm not sure sits 100% right with me).

Wasn't aiming it at you. IMO the right thing to do is accept the result. Personally I don't think Crokes were deliberately at fault. As for Walsh, he wanted to move to Dublin for his own reasons and got the chance to play for Crokes there. Lots of players move clubs around the country when the relocate. Fair play to him.

highorlow

QuoteGenuine question, if you're Walsh, as great as it would be to win a county championship of any sort, never mind a provincial and and all ireland, would it not feel seriously hollow winning it with lads you barely even know in comparison with lads you grew up with?

I could never play for another club like he's done.

Agree to this to a certain extent.

Maybe if the lad was in the area for a few years then somewhat acceptable, for example, Bundie Aki does appear to be genuinely proud to be Irish now.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

seafoid

Quote from: lenny on January 23, 2023, 01:32:05 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on January 23, 2023, 01:20:52 PM
Quote from: lenny on January 23, 2023, 01:15:18 PM
There's a lot of jealousy and resentment here and people just need to get over themselves. Malachy O'Rourke as expected showed a lot of class afterwards saying Glen would accept the defeat. The ref and 4th official made big mistakes as the subs shouldn't have been allowed onto the field without players coming off. This was purely an officiating error. There's no asterisk or anything else, Crokes are very worthy champions. They'll be celebrating today like any team and the comments of a few jealous people on here will be a long way from their minds. As regards Walsh, fair play to him, he's a great player and will enjoy this victory. Glen did a great job of keeping him quiet though and it was other Crokes players who did the real damage.
I don't think that's fair. I've made a few comments here based on what I think the right thing to do is. I'm not from Glen. It's nothing to do with jealousy or resentment (although the Walsh thing i'm not sure sits 100% right with me).

Wasn't aiming it at you. IMO the right thing to do is accept the result. Personally I don't think Crokes were deliberately at fault. As for Walsh, he wanted to move to Dublin for his own reasons and got the chance to play for Crokes there. Lots of players move clubs around the country when the relocate. Fair play to him.
It doesn't matter whether or not it was deliberate. What counts is the rule.

weareros

Yeah has to be a replay. If slowly strolling off like the 17th man, Mannion, then that's fine, not interfering with play. But the 16th man was in there defending the goal. HQ has to make a firm decision here.

tbrick18

Quote from: weareros on January 23, 2023, 02:00:20 PM
Yeah has to be a replay. If slowly strolling off like the 17th man, Mannion, then that's fine, not interfering with play. But the 16th man was in there defending the goal. HQ has to make a firm decision here.

Yep.
But when have they ever done that.

whitey

Was it a genuine mistake by the 16th player or did they try and pull a fast one?

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 01:22:44 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 01:05:00 PM
Genuine question, if you're Walsh, as great as it would be to win a county championship of any sort, never mind a provincial and and all ireland, would it not feel seriously hollow winning it with lads you barely even know in comparison with lads you grew up with?

I agree with you that it must feel hollow as he's only been at the club a few months. Should Mickey Moran and Conleth Gilligan feel the same about their AI success with Kilcoo though?
Moran and Gilligan had at least been with Kilcoo a while, Walsh never even played a league game for Crokes did he? What stage of the championship did he join? I'd be fuming if i was the lad who lost my place to a blow in.

On your wider point about managers, if I had my way no outsider would be allowed to come in and get a fortune managing a team but the horse has long bolted on that

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: highorlow on January 23, 2023, 01:42:49 PM
QuoteGenuine question, if you're Walsh, as great as it would be to win a county championship of any sort, never mind a provincial and and all ireland, would it not feel seriously hollow winning it with lads you barely even know in comparison with lads you grew up with?

Agree to this to a certain extent.

Maybe if the lad was in the area for a few years then somewhat acceptable, for example, Bundie Aki does appear to be genuinely proud to be Irish now.

How long a time period is "somewhat acceptable"?
If Walsh changed his plans to go back to Galway in a few years and ended up settling in Dublin and playing with Crokes for another - say 6 years, does that retrospectively change the value of the medals he won this year to him or to their perceived value to other people? Would that make it less hollow? If he slogged away with them for that time period and they won nothing else, not even another Dublin SFC, does that raise the value of these medals?

Owen Galllagher was on the Galway panel last year, saw a bit of game time, he's from Antrim and has played IC for them, even beating and knocking out Galway while lining out for Antrim in 2012. If Galway had managed to get over the line last July would it be a hollow AI medal win for him because he was only in the door with them? Would it be worth less of a medal to him than it would be to the likes of Paul Conroy whose given years to Galway? What's the criteria of acceptance?

I know I'm playing devil's advocate here but genuinely, what do people want. Is it to really look to significantly changing the GAA transfer system because they are so affronted as a result of a complete edge case that involves an All Star?

Walter Cronc

Genuine question - does Galway University not offer teacher training courses? Or Limerick? Why would he want to move to Dublin to do this course?

As for the replay talk. Park it! Too sick to even consider one.

clarshack

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 02:07:41 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 01:22:44 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 01:05:00 PM
Genuine question, if you're Walsh, as great as it would be to win a county championship of any sort, never mind a provincial and and all ireland, would it not feel seriously hollow winning it with lads you barely even know in comparison with lads you grew up with?

I agree with you that it must feel hollow as he's only been at the club a few months. Should Mickey Moran and Conleth Gilligan feel the same about their AI success with Kilcoo though?
Moran and Gilligan had at least been with Kilcoo a while, Walsh never even played a league game for Crokes did he? What stage of the championship did he join? I'd be fuming if i was the lad who lost my place to a blow in.

On your wider point about managers, if I had my way no outsider would be allowed to come in and get a fortune managing a team but the horse has long bolted on that

will he ever play a league game for them? doubt it.

weareros

Quote from: whitey on January 23, 2023, 02:03:01 PM

Was it a genuine mistake by the 16th player or did they try and pull a fast one?

It felt they were mainly trying to eat up the 3 minutes of injury time (which they did well), and in the process both the officials and sideline screwed up. All the more reason there should be a replay.

Eire90

walsh cup final at croke park  on saturday   will croke park be getting a relay of grass before championship season

armaghniac

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 23, 2023, 02:16:56 PM
Genuine question - does Galway University not offer teacher training courses? Or Limerick? Why would he want to move to Dublin to do this course?

Plenty of people study in Dublin for one reason or another, you can't hold that against them.
There is no doubt that the likes of Kilmacud benefit from this, many people attend UCD and end up living in those parts. Apart from players it was people like that who built the club to what it is today. 

Quote from: clarshack on January 23, 2023, 02:17:46 PM
will he ever play a league game for them? doubt it.

County players play few league games even in their own county nowadays.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/01/23/news/gaa_won_t_investigate_16th_man_without_a_glen_objection-3013728/

As expected the GAA put the onus onto Glen to lodge an appeal which would very likely be successful. The GAA will be now desperately hoping there is no appeal forthcoming, it will be a long wait before Wednesday.

naka

Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 02:35:09 PM
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/01/23/news/gaa_won_t_investigate_16th_man_without_a_glen_objection-3013728/

As expected the GAA put the onus onto Glen to lodge an appeal which would very likely be successful. The GAA will be now desperately hoping there is no appeal forthcoming, it will be a long wait before Wednesday.
would love glenn to put one in so the feckers have to make a decison one way or the other.  they should have  the balls to make a call either way.
jeez