Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatwillbwillb

Previous CCC's have stood referees down for " Mis-representing" in reports or blatantly telling fibs but this CCC or this Refs committee no chance, toothless tigers. No time has been put into referees or real recruitment apart from the usual, get one or your play away from home etc etc.. The players in question have all been there before and walked, its the usual story so why sound so shocked, and remember we all (Club Delegates) put them in at the top, so you reap what you sow.. If it had of been an O'Ds or Eire Og, Shane oneills etc you wouldn't have stood a pups chance.... The standard of officials at present is poor bar a few to say the least and whats in there have had no time or structure put into them to do the right thing always no matter who or what. Spoke with a national ref from Antrim recently at a match who is refereeing in Derry because he wasn't asked to stay on after he retired from national panel, but can referee in county finals elsewhere? Why? Its the Gaa, the story will never change.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Spike on September 16, 2020, 01:38:39 PM
Perhaps we should be appreciative that the correct decision was made in the end following evidence from 2 cameras and independent witnesses.  All of our clubs have felt the benefits / detriments of innocent players being involved / missing matches following harsh suspensions so the disciplinary committee are to be commended for using technology when it can clearly show innocence.

Jarlath perhaps had a poor or fleeting view of a struggle between 2 players. That's not to say he was quick to comment but perhaps in hindsight he is grateful the video showed a better angle than he had and im sure he was pleased that justice was served eventually.

The referee is innocent in all this and was only acting on the advice of his official. Jarlath should not be hounded because of this as again, it appears it was a quick view in real time without the benefit of instant reply.  jarlath has served antrim county for countless years and was trying to appraise a melee with large numbers of players involved which is difficult.

Neither Cargin nor Creggan can have any complaints now about the outcome of the match on Sunday.  It will be a tight game as they always are, hopefully a better fare than 2 years ago. Lets face it, it cant be any worse. Creggan will need to come out more and Cargin will need to ensure they are more direct if it is to be a spectacle at all.

The wisest post on here for a long time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on September 16, 2020, 01:44:48 PM
Previous CCC's have stood referees down for " Mis-representing" in reports or blatantly telling fibs but this CCC or this Refs committee no chance, toothless tigers. No time has been put into referees or real recruitment apart from the usual, get one or your play away from home etc etc.. The players in question have all been there before and walked, its the usual story so why sound so shocked, and remember we all (Club Delegates) put them in at the top, so you reap what you sow.. If it had of been an O'Ds or Eire Og, Shane oneills etc you wouldn't have stood a pups chance.... The standard of officials at present is poor bar a few to say the least and whats in there have had no time or structure put into them to do the right thing always no matter who or what. Spoke with a national ref from Antrim recently at a match who is refereeing in Derry because he wasn't asked to stay on after he retired from national panel, but can referee in county finals elsewhere? Why? Its the Gaa, the story will never change.

We've also referee's that ref in other counties, One ref the Tyrone county final last week, another the Down semi final, and we have plenty ref's from Dpown and Derry refereeing in Antrim.

No time? I remember when I started you had the two or three day event in Dunsilly hotel, really good prep and training with various intercounty referees on board. no fitness test given and that was you.

It has evolved since, one year there was a health check on all referees, though they havent done it again as we lost a few after that with medical issues lol

Currently we follow the same protocol as all the other Ulster counties do, every Jan we have the in house day, includes going over rules new rules videos and reviewing what the county expects, talks from CCC and the main part of the night is done by two intercounty referees that are on the assessment panels also..

We have a beep test, thats a must pass, and you cant referee championship without passing it...

You have a rules test, again you must get 85% correct minimum, and the referee committee also email the referees questions on the rules throughout the year.

And you have the Assessors,  granted we could maybe do with more of this but struggling to get referees never mind an assessor, but they are being done, I'd 2 last year

I can't see what more you'd like them to do, but I'm interested in how you can improve whats being done already, anything extra would be of great help
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

maybe this is already done, but the referees championship panel, do they meet regularly to review selected video footage of matches to try and get a uniform agreement about what a tackle is, what a foul is etc, so at least their is an attempt to get a uniform approach. ??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunsilly King on September 16, 2020, 02:38:17 PM
maybe this is already done, but the referees championship panel, do they meet regularly to review selected video footage of matches to try and get a uniform agreement about what a tackle is, what a foul is etc, so at least their is an attempt to get a uniform approach. ??

I think there is always room for improvement, and there's not one referee who wouldn't take extra work if they felt it would help. We do have a system that the Intercounty referee's are available to chat and go over rules or other things they feel they need help on.

Whats a tackle? christ! your view on a tackle on a club man may be very different to that of the other supporter!

I've yet to hear a supporter shout at the ref that his own club player has fouled a player and you want a card dished out also!

If we are following a uniformed approach across Ulster then we are doing whats asked, and no doubt this is the approach from Croke Park, I can't see it being any different. but if you went on to any forum on GAA there will be people complaining about ref's up and down the country

Video footage of our own performance? or just in general? we do that all on the training day at the start of the year, its lasts for about 2 hours and to a man, everyone has a different approach.

We could maybe look at our own performances and I've done that recently, I've already made a point that there was a couple of calls i would have called different, but its split second decisions. 

Fine margins and all that can make a difference, but mistakes happen in all games, players and managers make more mistakes in games than referees
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bronco

123 big load of balls .

Good to see justice was done regarding the Cargin captain incident.

Quote from: 123Bigball on September 14, 2020, 10:11:59 AM
Think a few of us should watch the video back on the Antrim Facebook page. If you watch clearly there a few strikes being thrown. Are we quick to judge the official based on a players reputation to date

123Bigball

Lol,watch it without the green tinted glasses on. Don't forget there were 2 incidents not just the captain. All the more makes it a better game for neutrals. 2 teams at full strength

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: Calm Down on September 16, 2020, 11:20:00 AM
Quote from: 123Bigball on September 16, 2020, 11:14:59 AM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on September 16, 2020, 11:10:39 AM
Heard BBC had videoed the game also and that video captured all of the incident and was used at the ccc hearing

Well then however said they did strike when they didn't should never get a game again in Antrim.

Speaking to a gent last night who suggested our esteemed Chairman was giving a statement on behalf of Mick McCann that he witnessed the incident and that there was no strike. This raises real questions as to McCavana's role in the County Board, he is getting too involved in my opinion and it appears he does not know where his 'power' begins and ends. Further if this is the case if I were Big Ball Small Ball I would be driving to the County Office today and dropping off my Antrim referee jerseys

Calm Down Calm Down, you've a stroke looming.  Tranquillise yourself or stay in the Monday club please or climb back under your big rock you clown.
I've never been so badly and rudely insulted on this board before. How bloody dare you infer that I am a referee!!!!

PS Think it's unjust that 2 Cargin lads get reds overturned but it's a sign of the times and Co Board authority has crumbled like Trumps Mexican Wall and Brexit agreement. Didn't happen to Clifford in Kerry. Not fair on Creggan but we all expected this outcome to be likely one
Are we gonna get a ref from outside the county who we can't lambast.  Outcome not fair on the Antrim refs and match officials either

PPS, at least get my moniker right next time Climb Down

Bronco

I couldn't give a fiddler's f*ck who wins,no green tinted glasses here.

Maybe you should avoid slabbering with misplaced confidence on matters you didn't even see in future though, there's a good boy.

Quote from: 123Bigball on September 16, 2020, 04:38:45 PM
Lol,watch it without the green tinted glasses on. Don't forget there were 2 incidents not just the captain. All the more makes it a better game for neutrals. 2 teams at full strength

Calm Down

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on September 16, 2020, 04:44:43 PM
Quote from: Calm Down on September 16, 2020, 11:20:00 AM
Quote from: 123Bigball on September 16, 2020, 11:14:59 AM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on September 16, 2020, 11:10:39 AM
Heard BBC had videoed the game also and that video captured all of the incident and was used at the ccc hearing

Well then however said they did strike when they didn't should never get a game again in Antrim.

Speaking to a gent last night who suggested our esteemed Chairman was giving a statement on behalf of Mick McCann that he witnessed the incident and that there was no strike. This raises real questions as to McCavana's role in the County Board, he is getting too involved in my opinion and it appears he does not know where his 'power' begins and ends. Further if this is the case if I were Big Ball Small Ball I would be driving to the County Office today and dropping off my Antrim referee jerseys

Calm Down Calm Down, you've a stroke looming.  Tranquillise yourself or stay in the Monday club please or climb back under your big rock you clown.
I've never been so badly and rudely insulted on this board before. How bloody dare you infer that I am a referee!!!!

PS Think it's unjust that 2 Cargin lads get reds overturned but it's a sign of the times and Co Board authority has crumbled like Trumps Mexican Wall and Brexit agreement. Didn't happen to Clifford in Kerry. Not fair on Creggan but we all expected this outcome to be likely one
Are we gonna get a ref from outside the county who we can't lambast.  Outcome not fair on the Antrim refs and match officials either

PPS, at least get my moniker right next time Climb Down

Big Ball Wee Ball my sincerest apologies, I was trying to maintain a relatively high level of grammar, however if you insist I will succumb to your common vernacular

Thank you for your concern, however, I am in fine fettle

I do agree the referee has been hung out to dry here by an inept county board, however, what do we expect if the most high Chairman is giving statements. The question begs did he approach the CCCC offering a statement or did they approach him?

P.s. Insulted at being mistaken for a referee? Do we not all aspire to be like MR2, or at least MR2 with more hair?

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 16, 2020, 02:00:16 PM

We've also referee's that ref in other counties, One ref the Tyrone county final last week, another the Down semi final, and we have plenty ref's from Dpown and Derry refereeing in Antrim.

No time? I remember when I started you had the two or three day event in Dunsilly hotel, really good prep and training with various intercounty referees on board. no fitness test given and that was you.

It has evolved since, one year there was a health check on all referees, though they havent done it again as we lost a few after that with medical issues lol

Currently we follow the same protocol as all the other Ulster counties do, every Jan we have the in house day, includes going over rules new rules videos and reviewing what the county expects, talks from CCC and the main part of the night is done by two intercounty referees that are on the assessment panels also..

We have a beep test, thats a must pass, and you cant referee championship without passing it...

You have a rules test, again you must get 85% correct minimum, and the referee committee also email the referees questions on the rules throughout the year.

And you have the Assessors,  granted we could maybe do with more of this but struggling to get referees never mind an assessor, but they are being done, I'd 2 last year

I can't see what more you'd like them to do, but I'm interested in how you can improve whats being done already, anything extra would be of great help

All looks and sounds good on paper MR2 and i would expect nothing but loyalty if i was was BT. However the reality as we all know is completely different and its been for all to see. Not getting into a ping pong with you on this you've done well personally, great to have a county senior medal if you ever actually get it, which i would say would be 50/50 but happy to stand corrected on that one, maybe that has changed in recent times also.

Milltown Row2

No ping pong at all, I'm happy after my involvement for championship is over to have debate and an honest one.
I've no axe to grind nor do I have deep set loyalties, I've been at loggerheads in the past with county committees as a manager when things went against me, and put them on here!

The information I give on our set up is real, I'd be happy if we can curb the abuse. It's been getting worse and every club has it. No club is free from it. It'll take the club themselves to police it, I think if they do it'll make it better.

If you feel I've said untruths I'd like to know what they are? Club loyalty and biased opinions will always be at the forefront of some people

Calm Down

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on September 16, 2020, 05:18:22 PM

All looks and sounds good on paper MR2 and i would expect nothing but loyalty if i was was BT. However the reality as we all know is completely different and its been for all to see. Not getting into a ping pong with you on this you've done well personally, great to have a county senior medal if you ever actually get it, which i would say would be 50/50 but happy to stand corrected on that one, maybe that has changed in recent times also.

As MR2 has neglected to confirm or deny, I know from speaking with a ref who did a county final within the last few years you don't get a medal

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: bannside on September 16, 2020, 10:40:07 AM
Big boost for Cargin. Mick and Marty both cleared to play in Sundays final.
Surprise Surprise. Must be a few brown envelopes going about.
I wonder how the officials feel now having been undermined by the county..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Calm Down on September 16, 2020, 05:53:18 PM
Quote from: whatwillbwillb on September 16, 2020, 05:18:22 PM

As MR2 has neglected to confirm or deny, I know from speaking with a ref who did a county final within the last few years you don't get a medal

Players who win get a medal, I wouldn't be looking for a medal, that's just me, others may want that but I don't see the point in that.