Election for turkeys ? Will FG go for it?

Started by seafoid, November 24, 2017, 08:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I dont follow ROI politics as much as the UK but i reckon he should force FF's hand and call their bluff, blame them for an unwanted election.  Election weariness was a big factor in the Conservatives poor showing in the last UK.

AZOffaly

I think FF will back away from this "in the general interest" albeit with "serious reservations". This is the first shot across the bow though. They know Varadker isn't as visible or popular as maybe Fine Gael thought he would be. Nobody wants a Christmas election.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2017, 09:11:41 AM
I think FF will back away from this "in the general interest" albeit with "serious reservations". This is the first shot across the bow though. They know Varadker isn't as visible or popular as maybe Fine Gael thought he would be. Nobody wants a Christmas election.

I don't know about that AZ. There's some FF voters unhappy that they are propping up the govt because of bennydorano's post above.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owen Brannigan

Don't know how it is reported in RoI but it appears that Varadkar is never out of the media in NI.  Perhaps he is more interested in his media image and travelling abroad than making any real contact outside the Dublin political bubble.  Not really a man of the people, gives the impression of being aloof.  However, he has given SF a fair working over in the Dail.  In the end, FG election prospects depend on reaching out well beyond their small core vote and I wouldn't be sure that Varadkar has managed to make that broad reach across the country.

Orchard park

look at the positives Syferis will be too busy canvassing for FG to be on here

magpie seanie

FG might be happy to dodge the abortion referendum. FF look like they're going for it. FG will have to get rid of Frances or go for the election.

If it's FF or FG it's basically rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic though.

Rossfan

If there's "No confidence" voted in Fitzgerald what then? Is she obliged to resign or what?
Do FF have to wait to see if she'll step down and if not put a No Confidence motion in the Government?

Can't see  a GE changing much other than FG and FF might get a few more seats each while some of the loonier lefties and Indos might be dumped.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Brexit is getting very serious for Northern Ireland. The 4th green field may have a new entrance and slatted shed.  Now is not the time for an election
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AQMP

FF no confidence motion to be debated on Tuesday.  Bad time for an election, maybe Fitzgerald will resign before Tues??

Syferus

LV is way more competent in debates than MM (and lord help Mary Lou or Zombie Gerry if they to debate him). And a lot less baggage than either too. Of the four main leaders he's probably the best equipped to run a good campaign.

The only problem is there's alot of budget related legislation that would be shelved if an election happens next month. The reality is Fitzgerald will be told to fûck off, if we're being honest.

Unless LV wants to go for the big prize..

AZOffaly

He's not engaging though. He comes across as a D4 head, and he hasn't reached the constituencies I think. I'm not sure anybody really pays any remarks to debate. In Ireland, as most places, politics is local but the man or woman at the top has to be somewhat popular.

Orchard park

I think Varadkar is seen as toxic in rural ireland and have seen no proof yet as to his superior debating prowess...

balladmaker

Given the present situation with Brexit and the whole border question, the last thing anyone on this island needs is an election in the Republic.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2017, 04:06:19 PM
He's not engaging though. He comes across as a D4 head, and he hasn't reached the constituencies I think. I'm not sure anybody really pays any remarks to debate. In Ireland, as most places, politics is local but the man or woman at the top has to be somewhat popular.

There's a reason they stick up as many posters of the party leader as the local candidate in areas where it's a toss up, AZ. A leader that is seen as polished and competent (which is enough with the field we have at the minute) can bring home enough preferences to pull those candidates over the line. FF will likely be blamed for this election, so LV has an opportunity if he wants it.

The left wing parties like SF and the water charges are going to get a punch in the face if this goes to the polls.