Steps...

Started by Dinny Breen, July 24, 2017, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: StephenC on July 25, 2019, 11:29:02 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2019, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 23, 2019, 01:25:05 PM
The problem is the speed with which the game is played now. Its impossible to solo/bounce every 4 steps and run as fast as the modern game.
This is what congress should be focusing on. They'd be better off making the rule 6 steps and enforcing it.

That's simply untrue. If you comply with the rule you're giving your opponent a chance to make an effective tackle so they run as fast as they can and when they feel safe they play the ball. Defenders have an impossible job. See Gavin White's black card the last day. He was all over Ryan McHugh but after fouling McHugh for 6/7 steps felt he had to continue to foul him hold on and then dragged McHugh to the ground fell himself (he was stupid to maintain hold of the jersey and pull him down, granted). If McHugh had played the ball in 4/5 stpes White would have had a chance to dispossess. Everyone says - definite black card but in truth is was a free for overcarrying.

I've been on about this for ages and it has gotten way, way worse.

FYP

There are many examples in every game where it should be a free for over-carrying and I'm sure Ryan has been a culprit on many occasions. This was such a clear black-card that I don't think you are helping your case by trying to use it though.

But had the ref blew for the first 'foul' (overcarrying, then there would have been no black card). I battle with the 4 steps rule as a ref. We'd be blowing every 20 seconds and the cries for over carrying from all involved would be unreal! 

Ref's still apply the 'player being held slightly' and allowing more steps to break free from the challenge, rather than sticking the arm up right away for a pull/drag back (advantage rule), which normally happenes when a quick player tries to get past an defender.

And yes, Ive applied it before, the 4 steps rule during a few games and they were the most stop start games ever. I believe the key is to make sure that both teams get application of the 'rules' during the game, then there are no complaints
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

The problem is the speed with which the game is played now. Its impossible to solo/bounce every 4 steps and run as fast as the modern game.
This is what congress should be focusing on. They'd be better off making the rule 6 steps and enforcing it.

That's simply untrue. If you comply with the rule you're giving your opponent a chance to make an effective tackle so they run as fast as they can and when they feel safe they play the ball. Defenders have an impossible job. See Gavin White's black card the last day. He was all over Ryan McHugh but after fouling McHugh for 6/7 steps felt he had to continue to foul him hold on and then dragged McHugh to the ground fell himself (he was stupid to maintain hold of the jersey and pull him down, granted). If McHugh had played the ball in 4/5 stpes White would have had a chance to dispossess. Everyone says - definite black card but in truth is was a free for overcarrying.

FYP

There are many examples in every game where it should be a free for over-carrying and I'm sure Ryan has been a culprit on many occasions. This was such a clear black-card that I don't think you are helping your case by trying to use it though.

Ah, a sensitive Donegal man. It ended up being a black card after overcarrying and a mere foul (the order of which is debatable but both occurred). Ryan is a serial offender in this regard but while it's working for him he might as well.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2019, 11:46:57 AM

FYP

But had the ref blew for the first 'foul' (overcarrying, then there would have been no black card). I battle with the 4 steps rule as a ref. We'd be blowing every 20 seconds and the cries for over carrying from all involved would be unreal! 

Ref's still apply the 'player being held slightly' and allowing more steps to break free from the challenge, rather than sticking the arm up right away for a pull/drag back (advantage rule), which normally happenes when a quick player tries to get past an defender.

And yes, Ive applied it before, the 4 steps rule during a few games and they were the most stop start games ever. I believe the key is to make sure that both teams get application of the 'rules' during the game, then there are no complaints

Can understand that being the case but if it was stuck to by all referees it would tighten up quickly.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2019, 04:19:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2019, 11:46:57 AM

FYP

Can understand that being the case but if it was stuck to by all referees it would tighten up quickly.

If it's not being adhered to, it's purely the refs fault, I get that.

Certain directives come from HQ's each year on rules and during counties courses for refereeing at the start of the year they are discussed and highlighted as a major part of the rules to be enforced. In my many years of refereeing it's never been a bone of contention. This years one was on strikes to the head and the hurling hand pass rule, was other things brought up but these two were more so highlighted.

I'd personally like it to be 4/5 seconds rather than steps.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

4/5 seconds? Intercounty players could run 30-40 metres in that time.

Rossfan

Simple way out -let them carry as long as they like but allow man to be tackled who must then play the ball with his foot :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2019, 11:33:58 PM

Well the rule is four steps or the time it takes you to take four steps.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 26, 2019, 12:22:01 AM

Exactly, the whistle's blown (or should be) on the 5th (count/second), nach ea?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

laceer

Tyrone posters might remember Clithero refereeing. In underage matches, if someone was soloing the ball near a tackler or was in danger of overcarrying he used to count 1,2,3,4.. out loud. Actually worked well enough.

t_mac

Quote from: laceer on July 26, 2019, 12:48:32 AM
Tyrone posters might remember Clithero refereeing. In underage matches, if someone was soloing the ball near a tackler or was in danger of overcarrying he used to count 1,2,3,4.. out loud. Actually worked well enough.

Did he also do a ten count when they dived.  :)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 26, 2019, 12:22:01 AM

I know that. You suggested allowing "4/5 seconds rather than steps" which I pointed out would be madness.

haranguerer

Complete rubbish. It is the game for chrissakes.

RedHand88

Quote from: haranguerer on July 26, 2019, 10:02:18 AM

Are you telling me it's possible to solo/bounce every 4 steps running at the speed that McCaffrey run at?

trueblue1234

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 26, 2019, 10:11:48 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 26, 2019, 10:02:18 AM

Are you telling me it's possible to solo/bounce every 4 steps running at the speed that McCaffrey run at?

But the point is that it's not a sprinting competition. I don't care how fast McCaffrey can run. I do care about how well he can pass a man while legally soloing/ bouncing the ball. If he's not doing that, he's not playing football. It's more akin to rugby.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Keyser soze

F**k me there are some silly c***ts on this board, players run too fast to play the ball every 4 steps, I have heard it all now, talk about empty vessels....