Graham Linehan on Twitter / Trans debate

Started by bennydorano, May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: trailer on February 22, 2023, 02:01:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 22, 2023, 01:08:39 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 22, 2023, 12:59:00 PM
The truth in all of this is that any man wanting to compete in a women's sport is mentally unwell. But you're not allowed to say that because mental health and feelings.
This issue isn't going away and Men who want to play in women's sports need to get ready for a scrutiny that will rightly come their way.

That's the "truth", is it?

Homosexuality was medically a mental illness until the 70s and remained criminalized in Ireland for another 15 years after that.

I'm sure there were plenty crying about woke agendas and the collapse of civilization then too.

I am making one very small specific point about Men wanting to compete in Women's sport. You have lost the run of yourself talking about Homosexuality, woke agendas and the collapse of civilisation. This is exactly the problem with this debate. My point is very specific.

They aren't men tho

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on February 22, 2023, 02:59:44 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 22, 2023, 02:51:47 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on February 22, 2023, 01:51:05 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 22, 2023, 01:22:04 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on February 22, 2023, 01:12:08 PM
The truth in all of this is that any man wanting to compete in a women's sport is mentally unwell. But you're not allowed to say that because mental health and feelings.
This issue isn't going away and Men who want to play in women's sports need to get ready for a scrutiny that will rightly come their way.

Homosexuality was medically a mental illness until the 70s and remained criminalized in Ireland for another 15 years after that.

I'm sure there were plenty crying about woke agendas and the collapse of civilization then too.

And were they wrong?!!

By any decent, moral and rational standard, yes, they were.

But sure knock yourself out and defend homophobic bigotry if you want.

I'm not anti-gay at all, but I think normalising what is clearly 'fringe' only leads to more and more - and more and more crazy - 'fringe' 'interests' also being normalised. Where does it stop? As for the collapse of civilisation; well it's a slow process, and many more factors are involved other than homosexuality, but the western civilisation is most certainly on the wane.

I'm hesitant to bring up what's normal and fringe after a bad faith (on their part) exchange with a moron with the moniker "no wides" a few years back, but it's warranted.

Lots of things are "fringe". The human race is full of variety. Simple left handedness is a relatively fringe trait (10% is the usual stat). Was once looked upon with serious superstitious suspicion (the word for left in some languages shares roots with the word sinister for example). My own aunt was forced, with the threat of violence, to learn to write with her right hand by west of Ireland nuns charged with her education.

There are all kinds of things, not just homosexuality, with where condemned and repressed for much of history just based on their supposed abnormality and immorality.

Things change as society becomes more enlightened and open and less irrationally prejudiced. If the prejudice and bigotry was justified, then the traditionalists and bigots wouldn't be losing the debate on these issues over and over again across decades.

And I don't see how western civilization can be said to be on the wane because it is becoming more open and diverse and tolerant.
I think we have to think carefully before extending tolerance to the trans project. Why do they have to walk all over female spaces?
If they really were persecuted wouldn't their own spaces do? Women find the presence of men in female changing rooms really uncomfortable.

Gay rights were achieved without any of this provocation.

The state of this. Project. Provocation. Catch yourself on

seafoid

Trans is a culture war. A man can't become a woman. Catch yourself on.

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 22, 2023, 03:27:18 PM

I am making one very small specific point about Men wanting to compete in Women's sport. You have lost the run of yourself talking about Homosexuality, woke agendas and the collapse of civilisation. This is exactly the problem with this debate. My point is very specific.

They aren't men tho
If they've been born a man and went through puberty as male they shouldnt be in female sports. Simple.

It is f**king sick.

thebigfella

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 22, 2023, 02:09:40 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on February 22, 2023, 01:51:05 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 22, 2023, 01:22:04 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on February 22, 2023, 01:12:08 PM

And were they wrong?!!

By any decent, moral and rational standard, yes, they were.

But sure knock yourself out and defend homophobic bigotry if you want.

I'm not anti-gay at all, but I think normalising what is clearly 'fringe' only leads to more and more - and more and more crazy - 'fringe' 'interests' also being normalised. Where does it stop? As for the collapse of civilisation; well it's a slow process, and many more factors are involved other than homosexuality, but the western civilisation is most certainly on the wane.
Sexualisation of children/paedophilia will be next. Look at that Balenciaga shit

As opposed to back in the good old days of "out of sight and out of mind"  ::)

Jesus Christ, as we have only begun to understand the level of abuse that has been occurring in this and previous generations; thus as more and more victims are confirmed it's hard to see how could debate or discuss of normalising paedophilia let alone it actually happen.

Armagh18

Gabriel_Hurl

trailer

To be absolutely clear I have no issue with people who want to transition. I have an issue with people who transition who then want to use that to their advantage in sports and in whatever other areas.

Men can dress and act like a Woman but they are biologically male and vice versa and I am happy to address them as they see if (even if I think it is a load of shite personally). But science will always win through.

When we deny science we allow a space for all sorts of nonsense like Anti Vax stuff for example.

imtommygunn

Tbh it's a significant advantage in the sport and it makes it not a level playing field. The risk of injuries to women, born women, is much greater etc. I don't think there even needs to be depths to the argument. I have no problem with all the identification things going on but in sport it creates a very uneven playing field which isn't fair and that's it.

It's not a slight on people doing it and people don't transition just to gain advantage in sport. Those that do transition should have a place too but the question is where is that.

whitey

Serena Williams at her prime admitted she wouldn't beat any man seeded in the top 100

The World Champions US Ladies soccer team were beaten 5-2 by a boys U15 team

Women's Sport and competition will just become meaningless

CK_Redhand

Sports could have 2 categories.
Open (accept all comers. People who identify as men, women, trans, cats, ...)
Women's (born female, went through female puberty, levels of hormones etc. within a range)

trailer

Quote from: CK_Redhand on February 22, 2023, 04:15:29 PM
Sports could have 2 categories.
Open (accept all comers. People who identify as men, women, trans, cats, ...)
Women's (born female, went through female puberty, levels of hormones etc. within a range No Cocks Ever)

thebigfella

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 22, 2023, 03:44:29 PM
Give it 50-100 years.

Yet as society has evolved the trend has been for paedophilia and abuse of childre to become less acceptable  ::) ::) ::)

Armagh18

Quote from: thebigfella on February 22, 2023, 04:29:09 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on February 22, 2023, 03:44:29 PM
Give it 50-100 years.

Yet as society has evolved the trend has been for paedophilia and abuse of childre to become less acceptable  ::) ::) ::)
Look at Balenciaga.

Mourne Red

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 22, 2023, 03:27:18 PM

They aren't men tho

Just because The Big Bad Wolf identified as Red Riding Hoods granny doesn't mean it was