Graham Linehan on Twitter / Trans debate

Started by bennydorano, May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on June 12, 2020, 06:53:56 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 12, 2020, 05:15:10 PM

Well, that's abuse angle of the Rowling supporters' fake victimhood shown up for what it is, anyway.

You slate me and make false accusations, I'll tell you to get fucked. It's not very complicated.

You think me telling you to get fucked or calling someone a gobshite is remotely the same as some of the abuse Rowling gets (TERF ****, for example)? Or that people are too stupid to be able to see through your shamelessly transparent tactic of drawing false equivalences to discredit the very real abuse some people (not just women) have suffered as a result of all this?

Talk to trans people? I live in one of the European capitals of the LGBTQ. I'll be having my cafe and croissant tomorrow morning and there'll be trans people sitting a table away. There are trans run businesses left, right and centre here. And you think you're in a position to tell me to educate myself on the topic?! Laughable.
You were the person who drew a false equivalence between the "oppression" suffered by a billionaire author and the oppression suffered by the trans community, but carry on.

I'm not sure what the abuse Rowling got on the internet for her transphobia or you living in a city in which there is sizeable LGBTQ presence has to with the validity of what either of you are saying.

Actually, I am.

Nothing.

seafoid

"Transphobia" seems to mean refusing to accept trans doctrine.
It doesn't seem to tally with actual hatred of anyone.

Maiden1

Quote from: seafoid on June 14, 2020, 07:19:49 AM
"Transphobia" seems to mean refusing to accept trans doctrine.
It doesn't seem to tally with actual hatred of anyone.
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/transphobia

NOUN
Dislike of or prejudice against transsexual or transgender people.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

seafoid

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TERF

Feminists described as TERFs generally object to the term and sometimes refer to themselves as gender critical] British columnist Sarah Ditum wrote in 2017 that "the bar to being called a 'terf' is remarkably low."

Some self-described gender critical feminists say they cannot accurately be described as trans-exclusionary because they say they are inclusive of trans men.Some critics have called this reasoning "divisive and contradictory" and say that it represents "transmisogynist ideology".

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/22/authors-quit-jk-rowlings-literary-agency-row-trans-rights/

The Harry Potter author is represented by the Blair Partnership. Three authors - Fox Fisher, Drew Davies and Ugla Stefanía Kristjönudóttir Jónsdóttir - announced via The Guardian that they could no longer work with the firm. A fourth writer has quit but wished to remain anonymous.
The Blair Partnership said it had declined to "meet their demands to be re-educated to their point of view".
Jónsdóttir, also known as Owl Fisher, and Fox Fisher are partners and non-binary trans activists who co-wrote the Trans Teen Survival Guide. They described Davies as "an incredible trans ally".
In a statement, the trio said: "This decision is not made lightly, and we are saddened and disappointed it has come to this. After JK Rowling's - who is also signed to the agency - public comments on transgender issues, we reached out to the agency with an invitation to reaffirm their stance to transgender rights and equality.
"After our talks with them, we felt that they were unable to commit to any action that we thought was appropriate and meaningful. Freedom of speech can only be upheld if the structural inequalities that hinder equal opportunities for underrepresented groups are challenged and changed.

"Affirmations to support LGBTQIA people as a whole need to be followed up by meaningful and impactful action, both internally and publicly. As LGBTQIA writers ourselves we feel strongly about having an agency that supports our rights at all avenues, and does not endorse views that go against our values and principles."
They said that they had taken a stand as an act of solidarity: "Trans women are women, trans men are men and non-binary identities are valid. This is a particularly difficult time when it must sometimes feel like the world is closing in on you. We want you to know that you are not alone, that there are many people who will always stand by you and fight for you and that better times are coming."
The authors said they were making a collective donation to a charity that supports BAME women in Scotland who have experienced domestic abuse.
According to The Guardian, Jónsdóttir suggested the literary agency should conduct staff training with the group All About Trans but "these requests weren't met positively by the management".
A spokesman for the Blair Partnership said: "We support the rights of all our clients to express their thoughts and beliefs, and we believe in freedom of speech. Publishing and the creative arts are dependent on these things.
"It is our duty, as an agency, to support all of our clients in this fundamental freedom and we do not comment on their individual views.

"We are disappointed by the decision that four clients have taken to part ways with the agency. To reiterate, we believe in freedom of speech for all; these clients have decided to leave because we did not meet their demands to be re-educated to their point of view. We respect their right to pursue what they feel is the correct course of action."

Earlier this month, it was reported that several staff at Hachette UK, Rowling's publisher, had threatened to stop work on her new children's book, The Ickabog, over her stance on trans issues.
Rowling has affirmed her belief in biological sex and said in one tweet deemed controversial: "I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives. It isn't hate to speak the truth."

armaghniac

QuoteFreedom of speech can only be upheld if the structural inequalities that hinder equal opportunities for underrepresented groups are challenged and changed. if people agree with us
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2020, 12:46:56 PM
QuoteFreedom of speech can only be upheld if the structural inequalities that hinder equal opportunities for underrepresented groups are challenged and changed. if people agree with us
That was pretty much how Rowling's publisher Blair House perceived the 'rebellion' by the 4 authors.

To reiterate, we (Blair House) believe in freedom of speech for all; these clients have decided to leave because we did not meet their demands to be re-educated to their point of view.

Maiden1

Quote from: Main Street on June 23, 2020, 01:31:16 PM
That was pretty much how Rowling's publisher Blair House perceived the 'rebellion' by the 4 authors.

To reiterate, we (Blair House) believe in freedom of speech for all; these clients have decided to leave because we did not meet their demands to be re-educated to their point of view.
They probably had about as much success as me going into a branch of Santander and saying I will close my current account unless they cut all ties with Roman Abramovich
There are no proofs, only opinions.

sid waddell

Presumably they'll be publishing David Irving's next tome of Holocaust denial, then.

Otherwise they're full of shit.

Main Street

Quote from: sid waddell on June 23, 2020, 02:35:12 PM

Presumably they'll be publishing David Irving's next tome of Holocaust denial, then.

Otherwise they're full of shit.
Reactionary Sid on a cherry picking excursion, reduced to using the strawman argument again.

seafoid

"Rowling believes in biological sex"
That is the problem