Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 05, 2012, 03:54:07 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 05, 2012, 03:40:21 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 05, 2012, 03:30:08 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 05, 2012, 03:21:57 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 05, 2012, 03:18:16 PM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 05, 2012, 03:07:58 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 05, 2012, 03:00:33 PM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 05, 2012, 02:27:50 PM
This thing about training budgets is also written by journalists who provide no figures. Well, I've looked at the figures, and Kildare's spend is a long way behind, for example, Cork and Dublin's.

There is a good reason why Kildare are behind Dublin & Cork.

Both of those counties are dual counties with successful underage teams in both codes.

I'm not counting hurling expenditure Heffo. I'm talking about money spent on the senior footballers.

Why not, I'm interested in what under-age success is now deemed as, because in hurling, Corks last Munster minor was 2008 and All-Ireland was 2001 and Corks last Munster u21 was 2007 and All-Ireland 1998, rapid under-age success there?

There are still costs associated with preparing teams at Minor and U21 in both codes - something Kildare don't really have to consider.

Out of curiosity is there a table of expenditure for each county?

Am running out the door to the Stone Roses, but some figures from last year:

Dublin spent nearly €2m from Minor up in both codes.

Kildare spent €775k on the Senior Footballers.

Antrim spent just over €400k on both codes.

Offaly spent €390 on both codes.

Kilkenny spent €486k on the Senior Hurlers.

Bloody hell, where are you walking from, they're not on stage till 9:15pm.

Have to get ready for the ball and have a few sociables

orangeman

Heffo,

Under the table monies aren't included in those "official" figures I assume ?

Not that I'm suggesting that such monies exist.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: heffo on July 05, 2012, 03:58:10 PM
This thing about training budgets is also written by journalists who provide no figures. Well, I've looked at the figures, and Kildare's spend is a long way behind, for example, Cork and Dublin's.

Both of those counties are dual counties with successful underage teams in both codes.

I'm not counting hurling expenditure Heffo. I'm talking about money spent on the senior footballers.

Why not, I'm interested in what under-age success is now deemed as, because in hurling, Corks last Munster minor was 2008 and All-Ireland was 2001 and Corks last Munster u21 was 2007 and All-Ireland 1998, rapid under-age success there?

There are still costs associated with preparing teams at Minor and U21 in both codes - something Kildare don't really have to consider.

You the Rose won't wait till all the Dubs are in!!!

Any decent pubs on the way in from Heuston?
#newbridgeornowhere

heffo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 05, 2012, 04:00:22 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 05, 2012, 03:58:10 PM

You the Rose won't wait till all the Dubs are in!!!

Any decent pubs on the way in from Heuston?

Regrettably no!

Ryans on Parkgate st is a good spot but would imagine it'll be mobbed - am going to head further afield up towards Smithfield

Ohtoohtobe

Yes but Heffo there's this perception out there that Kildare are breaking the bank in unprecedented fashion and it's simply not true.

This year we are cutting our expenditure from €750,000 to €600,000.
Dublin spent €1.75m last year. Even when you factor in the senior hurlers and a successful season for the minor and U21 footballers, it's fair to surmise that Kildare are spending less on their senior footballers than Dublin.

Indeed while we're on the subject, this idea that we've gone mad throwing money at McGeeney really annoys me. I mean, trying to compare Kildare with Dublin is not comparing like with like.

We're sponsored by a slate company whose profits fell 99% last year - Dublin are sponsored by a multinational giant whose Irish profits are more than €100m, and that sponsorship nets €1m a year. Several Dublin players drive free renaults, had the flights for their team holidays paid for by Aer Lingus, and also benefit from spring series gate receipts that Croker spends €200,000 marketing.

Kildare players organise concerts, white-collar boxing nights, anything they can think of to try and fund their own training and give themselves the best chance of success.

I don't for one minute begrudge Dublin any of their financial success. Also, they were deserved All-Ireland winners and are a better team than us at the moment. I'm simply pointing out that it's very difficult for a county with Kildare's resources to try and look after their players as well as a Dublin or a Cork can.

My misgivings on the Johnston transfer aside, I love the Kildare players. I love the fact that they're willing to put in all that extra time raising money to make themselves as well prepared as they can be, that given the choice between using the money (some of which came from their grants) on a holiday or a training camp, they chose the training camp. They do that even though they know that if they fall short, every gobshite from Malin to Mizen will be laughing at them.

I can just about put up with that abuse, but hearing this line that we're wasting millions and spending more than any team in history repeated ad naseum is too much to take. Not one journalist, be it Bogue or anyone else, has produced figures to back that asssertion. If any of them submitted a piece with an assertion like that to any decent business publication, no editor would fail to be straight on the phone to them asking them for proof.

But this is Irish GAA journalism, so yerra, we'll just throw out what I was saying in the pub last night, rather than uncovering any facts.

heffo

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 05, 2012, 04:08:29 PM

Yes but Heffo there's this perception out there that Kildare are breaking the bank in unprecedented fashion and it's simply not true.

This year we are cutting our expenditure from €750,000 to €600,000.
Dublin spent €1.75m last year. Even when you factor in the senior hurlers and a successful season for the minor and U21 footballers, it's fair to surmise that Kildare are spending less on their senior footballers than Dublin.

Indeed while we're on the subject, this idea that we've gone mad throwing money at McGeeney really annoys me. I mean, trying to compare Kildare with Dublin is not comparing like with like.

We're sponsored by a slate company whose profits fell 99% last year - Dublin are sponsored by a multinational giant whose Irish profits are more than €100m, and that sponsorship nets €1m a year. Several Dublin players drive free renaults, had the flights for their team holidays paid for by Aer Lingus, and also benefit from spring series gate receipts that Croker spends €200,000 marketing.

Kildare players organise concerts, white-collar boxing nights, anything they can think of to try and fund their own training and give themselves the best chance of success.

I don't for one minute begrudge Dublin any of their financial success. Also, they were deserved All-Ireland winners and are a better team than us at the moment. I'm simply pointing out that it's very difficult for a county with Kildare's resources to try and look after their players as well as a Dublin or a Cork can.

My misgivings on the Johnston transfer aside, I love the Kildare players. I love the fact that they're willing to put in all that extra time raising money to make themselves as well prepared as they can be, that given the choice between using the money (some of which came from their grants) on a holiday or a training camp, they chose the training camp. They do that even though they know that if they fall short, every gobshite from Malin to Mizen will be laughing at them.

I can just about put up with that abuse, but hearing this line that we're wasting millions and spending more than any team in history repeated ad naseum is too much to take. Not one journalist, be it Bogue or anyone else, has produced figures to back that asssertion. If any of them submitted a piece with an assertion like that to any decent business publication, no editor would fail to be straight on the phone to them asking them for proof.

But this is Irish GAA journalism, so yerra, we'll just throw out what I was saying in the pub last night, rather than uncovering any facts.

Can't argue with any of that - good points all.

Fair play to the Kildare players for going above and beyond the call of duty with their efforts in raising all that money - there are not too many around with that what can I do rather than what can I get atttude.

The only one thing I would say in mitigation is that their fundraising efforts have to (IMO) affect the fundraising of the KCB.

mylestheslasher

I'm praying SJ plays against Cavan. He's going to get abuse and he 100% deserves it. Throughout this whole episode its been all about me me me, to hell with Cavan, Cavan supporters, Cavan Gaels or their volunteers and supporters. Its all about Seanie, so lets see him on the pitch now in a white jersey playing against Cavan. The pressure will be like a rock tied around his neck and  I have seen how Mr Johnston reacts when the pressure is really on. A sly kick at an opposing player, abuse the ref or abuse his own player or maybe run of to the US. Cavan won't win but they will do their best and that's all I care about and what a change it is to have 15-20 players on the field for us giving it everything they have. Maybe Seanie should watch and learn.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 05, 2012, 05:02:56 PM
I'm praying SJ plays against Cavan. He's going to get abuse and he 100% deserves it. Throughout this whole episode its been all about me me me, to hell with Cavan, Cavan supporters, Cavan Gaels or their volunteers and supporters. Its all about Seanie, so lets see him on the pitch now in a white jersey playing against Cavan. The pressure will be like a rock tied around his neck and  I have seen how Mr Johnston reacts when the pressure is really on. A sly kick at an opposing player, abuse the ref or abuse his own player or maybe run of to the US. Cavan won't win but they will do their best and that's all I care about and what a change it is to have 15-20 players on the field for us giving it everything they have. Maybe Seanie should watch and learn.

Finally I found someone to put on ignore, I didn't think I had a tolerance limit but I guess it has just been reached...
#newbridgeornowhere

tommysmith

Whats wrong with what he said alot of it is true?

Edit : It is all true.

J70

The Johnston issue aside, the 'backlash' against kildare is as ludicrous as the hype. They lost one game FFS, and its not the first time Meath roused themselves when written off (Tyrone and dublin should remember).

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 05, 2012, 05:02:56 PM

Jaysus Myles if there's many as small, bitter and jealous as you in Cavan then it's a wonder he didn't leave sooner.

I'd say you were jumping around the place in 2010 when he beat Wicklow on his own.

You obviously had a change of heart from a few days ago when you said you didn't care what he, Kildare or McGeeney did?

mylestheslasher

Take your heads out of the sand ye pair of ostriches. Go on the cavan thread and you can see what I thought of him after that wicklow game instead of pretending to know.

Anyway, seanie will soon be developing one of his big match injuries as outlined in this report. 

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/gaelicfootball/articles/2012/02/15/4009016-seanie-we-hardly-knew-ye--and-now-youre-gone/

Ohtoohtobe

Yeah I read that Anglo Celt piece before  thought it was very brave of the writer to imply he fakes injuries with nothing to back it up except hearsay.

Main Street

That's called truth in Cavan.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 05, 2012, 10:25:35 PM
Yeah I read that Anglo Celt piece before  thought it was very brave of the writer to imply he fakes injuries with nothing to back it up except hearsay.

The writer would know a damn site more than you do about what goes on in cavan football since a third of the paper each week is dedicated to it. Ye will soon learn the truth.