Where now for Tyrone?

Started by bennydorano, August 27, 2017, 07:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real Talk

Have to say that Tyrone's major problem yesterday was not being able to win primary possession especially from their own kick-out. All teams(except Mayo & Dublin) still need 2 or 3 big fielders in the middle 8 to win kick-outs when the short options are blocked off.   Mayo and Dublin won a big lot of ball from Kerry and Tyrone in what is the most important aspect of todays game.   Mayo will give Dublin a very competitive match ..... its a 50/50 game ... with the ref being a big factor

southtyronegael

Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2017, 04:08:31 PM
Tyrone in no different to everyone else shocker.
The thing about long serving managers in any sport is they run out of ideas or players. Look at Man U.
Or Declan Kidney. Or Wenger.
Mickey owes Tyrone nothing.  I think in a lot of ways for a lot of people he sort of is Tyrone. And that is some achievement.
no man is bigger than his county you fool. If Harte thought more about his county rather than himself then should have quit years ago.

APM

This is now Tyrone's longest gap between All Ireland Final Appearances since 1986. However, it is hard to see who will break their dominance in Ulster so they'll still be there or thereabouts in August.  I'd be surprised if Monaghan continue to exceed expectations.  Hard to know what Down and Cavan are capable of and Armagh, Derry and Fermanagh won't do much from Division 3. That leaves Donegal who with the right manager probably have it within themselves to compete with Tyrone.

Funny thing is I think the one team that might benefit from the Super-8s is Tyrone.  They are young, athletic and learning. Extra games against quality opposition will help them develop.  If they had got that tanking from Dublin in the Super 8s and met them again in the final, it would have been a different proposition.

imtommygunn

Quote from: APM on August 28, 2017, 06:42:49 PM
This is now Tyrone's longest gap between All Ireland Final Appearances since 1986. However, it is hard to see who will break their dominance in Ulster so they'll still be there or thereabouts in August.  I'd be surprised if Monaghan continue to exceed expectations.  Hard to know what Down and Cavan are capable of and Armagh, Derry and Fermanagh won't do much from Division 3. That leaves Donegal who with the right manager probably have it within themselves to compete with Tyrone.

Funny thing is I think the one team that might benefit from the Super-8s is Tyrone.  They are young, athletic and learning. Extra games against quality opposition will help them develop.  If they had got that tanking from Dublin in the Super 8s and met them again in the final, it would have been a different proposition.

No it wouldn't.

seafoid

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 28, 2017, 06:39:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2017, 04:08:31 PM
Tyrone in no different to everyone else shocker.
The thing about long serving managers in any sport is they run out of ideas or players. Look at Man U.
Or Declan Kidney. Or Wenger.
Mickey owes Tyrone nothing.  I think in a lot of ways for a lot of people he sort of is Tyrone. And that is some achievement.
no man is bigger than his county you fool. If Harte thought more about his county rather than himself then should have quit years ago.
That is bollocks. Some managers drag the county to the top by force of personality.  Mickey found the Tyrone g spot.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rois on August 28, 2017, 01:21:08 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 28, 2017, 12:45:14 PM
The u21 failures over a period of 5/6 years are coming home to roost.

I don't understand this - we won the U21 All Ireland in 2015 with what is still a very young team. 
Do you mean that their transition to senior has failed?

Tyrone had one good year at u21 with Logan & Co but failed since then.  Prior to that there were many barren years first under Donnelly and then Monroe.  The minor AI champions of 2008 and 2010 lost out on u21 experience to AI level.  The 2008 minors were Petey Harte's year and more of them should be making the backbone of the current senior team along with some of the 2010 champions as they are coming to their prime at 27/28 years old.  By failing to gain championship experience at u21 level and being held out of the squad for too long by Mickey Harte holding on to his own AI winning players, a whole cohort of potential county players have missed out badly.  2015 AI u21 squad will take a while to mature enough to compete with Dublin but at least they have gained experience denied to the 2008 and 2010 AI minor champions.

yellowcard

Quote from: APM on August 28, 2017, 06:42:49 PM

I highly doubt that. Mickey Harte is firmly entrenched in a negative tactical mindset, it's all about safety first. Even in his interview after the match he was sort of regretting having to try and attack more after they fell behind at half time as it meant that Dublin could exploit the extra space more. He is far too concerned with the opposition instead of trusting his own players ability a bit more.

T Fearon

No matter what,Mickey has kept Art Mc Rory out of the Tyrone manager's post for 15 years in a row.Some achievement

trileacman

There's a lot of premature talk of this is the end of defensive football. I heard that before in '06 '10 and '14. Each time football evolved and became more defensive not less.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dub000737

Stop worrying about Tyrone not able to match Dublin. Don't be using that to call for change. No team in Ireland will get near Dublin.

1 Dublin
2 No other county
3 No other county
4 Tyrone, Mayo, Kerry
5 No other county
6 Monaghan, Donegal, Galway
7 Tipperary, Down, Armagh, Clare, Meath, Kildare
8 The rest

Zulu

Quote from: trileacman on August 28, 2017, 09:49:19 PM
There's a lot of premature talk of this is the end of defensive football. I heard that before in '06 '10 and '14. Each time football evolved and became more defensive not less.

How could it become more defensive, we've got 15 behind the ball now?

Sean Dearg

Beaten by every Div 1 team we have faced in AI series since 2008. The management structure does need a long hard review. Kerry and or Mayo would have given Dublin a much better game, I don't buy the Dublin are invincible talk, why didn't we at least mix it up or have a plan B to rattle them. Jim McGuinness in the Irish Times today I thought summed us up and couldn't believe how passive we were. With exception of Colm Cavanagh the rest of the team were so paralysed by our defensive striaghtjacket that they got very rapidly demoralised. I expect Mayo to at least put it up to Dublin, we desperately need a change in tactics/ approach.

MoChara

Quote from: Zulu on August 28, 2017, 10:31:16 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 28, 2017, 09:49:19 PM

How could it become more defensive, we've got 15 behind the ball now?

2 Goalies

Main Street

Tyrone need to rediscover their inner swarm, it was totally absent v Dublin. Find the inner swarm and the rest will be built on that foundation.

seafoid

Their inner mongrel must have got carried away by all the promo work.
It also looks like tyrone's mojo got married and settled down and lost a bit of focus

Mr Mojo was not risin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JskztPPSJwY