Sam Maguire permutations

Started by seafoid, April 11, 2023, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 04, 2023, 03:17:47 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on May 04, 2023, 03:11:07 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2023, 11:26:07 AM
I should think the final games in each Group will have to start at the same time.

Going by Super 8s, yes.
Although different groups can be on different days so some teams may wish to finish 3rd rather than 2nd when they see the final positions in other groups.
to do it fair, all finalgames should really be played at the same time although not sure if that is logistically possible

I think 2 double headers in Croke Park and then 4 other games at various locations picked based on size and proximity.
E.g.
Round 3 (Neutral venues)

June 17 - 18

Group 1
Kerry v Louth (Croke Park)
Mayo v Cork  (Limerick)

Group 2
Galway v Ulster runner-up (Armagh/Derry)  (Breffni Park)
Tyrone v Westmeath  (Croke Park)

Group 3
Dublin v Sligo (Clones)
Roscommon v Kildare (Croke Park)

Group 4
Ulster winner (Armagh/Derry) v Clare (Pearse Stadium)
Monaghan v Donegal (Breffni Park)

Full fixture details will be confirmed by the CCCC on Friday, May 5th.

rosnarun

i would be feRFUL MAYO CORK would be in ennis rather than limerick. going on history . no good seats in ennis even if you were in first and a dump of a town
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Captain Obvious

Quote from: blanketattack on May 04, 2023, 03:35:57 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 04, 2023, 03:17:47 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on May 04, 2023, 03:11:07 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2023, 11:26:07 AM
I should think the final games in each Group will have to start at the same time.

Going by Super 8s, yes.
Although different groups can be on different days so some teams may wish to finish 3rd rather than 2nd when they see the final positions in other groups.
to do it fair, all finalgames should really be played at the same time although not sure if that is logistically possible

I think 2 double headers in Croke Park and then 4 other games at various locations picked based on size and proximity.
E.g.
Round 3 (Neutral venues)

June 17 - 18

Group 1
Kerry v Louth (Croke Park)
Mayo v Cork  (Limerick)

Group 2
Galway v Ulster runner-up (Armagh/Derry)  (Breffni Park)
Tyrone v Westmeath  (Croke Park)

Group 3
Dublin v Sligo (Clones)
Roscommon v Kildare (Croke Park)

Group 4
Ulster winner (Armagh/Derry) v Clare (Pearse Stadium)
Monaghan v Donegal (Breffni Park)

Full fixture details will be confirmed by the CCCC on Friday, May 5th.

Provincial grounds should be used for round 3 neutral venues and then leave Croke Park double headers for the following week with the All-Ireland Quarter finals.

Eire90

provincial champions should probably get two games at home instead of a neutral round.

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on May 04, 2023, 07:51:24 PM
provincial champions should probably get two games at home instead of a neutral round.
well one of them will lol

Rossfan

Group games in Croker would hardly fill the lower Hogan.
At least give Provincial Grounds and Towns a bit of a boost or sense of occasion.
Kerry v Louth Portlaoise
Mayo v Cork Limerick
Galway v Armagh  Breffni or Hyde
Tyrone v Westmeath Enniskillen or Markievicz.
Dublin v Sligo Breffni
Ros v Kildare Tullamore
Derry v Clare Markievicz
Monaghan  v Donegal Omagh.

I think the Tailteann Qtr Finals are that weekend which might  complicate things.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

I think the new championship format looks promising .
My only (repeatedly mentioned)  gripe so far  is that the provincial runners up are 2nd seeds in the group stages.
I'd opine that the provincial winners be  first seeds  and the rest of the qualified teams be seeded according to their league placement. Keep it simple.

As regards Monaghan , I'm content enough to get Clare at home and Donegal neutral. I don't think we were going to beat Derry at any venue so it's bonus away fixture, we have nothing to lose  there (except the game) with some hope for a better performance, and should it be Armagh, revenge is a dish best served ice cold.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on May 04, 2023, 08:50:54 PM
My only (repeatedly mentioned)  gripe so far  is that the provincial runners up are 2nd seeds in the group stages.
I'd opine that the provincial winners be  first seeds  and the rest of the qualified teams be seeded according to their league placement. Keep it simple.

Would agree with that.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

LeoMc

Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2023, 08:48:03 PM
At least give Provincial Grounds and Towns a bit of a boost or sense of occasion.
Kerry v Louth Portlaoise
Mayo v Cork Limerick
Dublin v Sligo Breffni
Ros v Kildare Tullamore
Derry v Clare Markievicz

I think the Tailteann Qtr Finals are that weekend which might  complicate things.
Double up with Tailteann games. That way all Tailtean games can throw in at 1:45 and Sam games at 4:00 and hope no Tailteann game goes to penalties.

Armagh18

Quote from: LeoMc on May 05, 2023, 08:41:01 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2023, 08:48:03 PM
Kerry v Louth Portlaoise
Mayo v Cork Limerick
Dublin v Sligo Breffni
Ros v Kildare Tullamore
Derry v Clare Markievicz

Double up with Tailteann games. That way all Tailtean games can throw in at 1:45 and Sam games at 4:00 and hope no Tailteann game goes to penalties.
If the ticket scramble for the Ulster final is anything to go by, not a chance we could be part of a double header outside croker. Most clubs have 3 or 4 times over their allocation on looking tickets.

Rossfan

Difference between a Provincial Final ( 1st in ?? years) and a Group game to sort out final places where both teams are already through.

yellowcard

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 04, 2023, 09:29:36 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 04, 2023, 08:50:54 PM

Would agree with that.

Yes, it seems a bit ridiculous that Sligo can be a second seed for winning 2 games against Leitrim and New York.

Apart from that it seems like a decent set up although playing 24 games to get from 16 teams down to 12 takes a lot of the hazard out of the group games. It will benefit teams with larger stronger squads though it feels like the championship won't kick off properly until the last 12 knockout games. 

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on May 05, 2023, 10:12:46 AM
Difference between a Provincial Final ( 1st in ?? years) and a Group game to sort out final places where both teams are already through.
15.  :o :(
Yeah different level of importance obviously.

Depends how results are going for us but if we were to go on a run we'd probably keep most of the bandwagoners to be honest and there's always a sizeable core support.

Rossfan

With the 4 Provincial Finals still to be decided I suspect we'll see a lot of "If X vs Y at .. ..."

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on May 05, 2023, 10:52:15 AM
With the 4 Provincial Finals still to be decided I suspect we'll see a lot of "If X vs Y at .. ..."
Connacht and Munster are probably 99% certain, Leinster maybe 80/20 at a push. Ulster is probably anywhere between 50/50 and 60/40 Derry.