Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 14, 2017, 11:06:54 PM
nrico2006 by  the sound of it, you never been in a real fight, double. triple teamed, kicked in the head, maybe unfortunate enough to get stabbed, thats a real fight in todays society, this  illusion that MMA is real fighting is laughable, a failed NFL footballer and WWE wrestler came into MMA and became champ in no time.

Brock Lesnar was an NCAA champion wrestler before any of those things. You only need to look at him to know he'd be pretty good at throttling the shit out of someone.

Try again..

gawa316

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 14, 2017, 10:09:43 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 14, 2017, 10:00:14 PM
Those final 2 conferences were crap enough. Toronto was great crack - they just rehashed old stuff from then on. You could see McGregor was bored with it by the last one.

So badly staged and both were struggling to remember the lines they were given.

In hindsight have the 4 press conferences back to back probably wasnt the greatest idea as the last 2 were shite enough

bennydorano

See they reckon £60 for UK PPV with either Sky or ITV Box Office. I've no notion of watching anyway but that's surely a bit steep for this market.

nrico2006

If this was real and not scripted surely there would have been a bit of shoving at least as well as some slabbering about Mayweathers women beating antics. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on July 17, 2017, 09:34:00 AM
Not that I'm any particular fan of Sweeney's but I think he sums it up pretty well here . . .

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/eamonn-sweeney-conor-mcgregor-represents-not-toxic-masculinity-but-toxic-imbecility-35934744.html

"McGregor makes a strange bedfellow for those who appear alongside him in the sports pages. Look at Aidan O'Shea, that most unfairly criticised of Gaelic footballers, who during the week decided to answer the criticism levelled at him by Bernard Flynn.

O'Shea explained, eloquently and with good manners, that when he was a ten-year-old he'd loved getting autographs from players, so when kids ask him for the same thing he always obliges them. He didn't say, 'F**k you Bernard Flynn, f**k you, f**k you, f**k  you, you Meath cockroach'"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Not that I'm any particular fan of Sweeney's but I think he sums it up pretty well here . . .

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/eamonn-sweeney-conor-mcgregor-represents-not-toxic-masculinity-but-toxic-imbecility-35934744.html

I really don't like Sweeney but I'll admit he occasionally has his "stopped clock" moments. I don't believe the above is one of them though. Pretty poor piece. Saying McGregor is "blank from the neck up" and comparing him to Anna Kournikova? Bullshit. He's certainly not stupid and he has won titles including fights that he was not expected to win. He is dedicated to his craft and I believe is getting every last ounce out of his abilities. By all means dislike the language* and behaviour and criticise the farcical nature of this bout but Sweeney often goes too far trying to make his point and this is a prime example. I do not like MMA or am I particularly fond of McGregor but that article is just wrong on many levels.

* I sometimes laugh at the fake indignation of some at the use of the f word. People use it in every day life, certainly where McGregor is from, so why pretend otherwise. It's typically Irish. Like banning abortion and ignoring the huge numbers going overseas to heathen lands to get them.

Sweeney should stick to writing about Sligo Rovers.

nrico2006

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 17, 2017, 10:09:00 AM

I really don't like Sweeney but I'll admit he occasionally has his "stopped clock" moments. I don't believe the above is one of them though. Pretty poor piece. Saying McGregor is "blank from the neck up" and comparing him to Anna Kournikova? Bullshit. He's certainly not stupid and he has won titles including fights that he was not expected to win. He is dedicated to his craft and I believe is getting every last ounce out of his abilities. By all means dislike the language* and behaviour and criticise the farcical nature of this bout but Sweeney often goes too far trying to make his point and this is a prime example. I do not like MMA or am I particularly fond of McGregor but that article is just wrong on many levels.

* I sometimes laugh at the fake indignation of some at the use of the f word. People use it in every day life, certainly where McGregor is from, so why pretend otherwise. It's typically Irish. Like banning abortion and ignoring the huge numbers going overseas to heathen lands to get them.

Well said, found the Kournikova reference a bit crap myself.  Kournikova achieved nothing in the singles game really, whereas McGregor has won UFC titles at two weights.  As for using the f word, dunno what part of Ireland he is from as everyone I know uses it as commonly as any other word.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 17, 2017, 11:16:32 AM

Well said, found the Kournikova reference a bit crap myself.  Kournikova achieved nothing in the singles game really, whereas McGregor has won UFC titles at two weights.  As for using the f word, dunno what part of Ireland he is from as everyone I know uses it as commonly as any other word.

He must have earplugs in when he's at the Showgrounds.

Syferus

No surprise you don't like a good journalist.

Taylor

Am embarrassing read.

Either he knows nothing about CMcG's achievements in MMA or he is on the wind up.

Getting more attention so I suppose the Indo are delighted he has put this dirt in print

screenexile

Quote from: Taylor on July 17, 2017, 03:50:02 PM

Am embarrassing read.

Either he knows nothing about CMcG's achievements in MMA or he is on the wind up.

Getting more attention so I suppose the Indo are delighted he has put this dirt in print

People talk about Sky and the hype machine. . . has there ever been a more hyped guy than McGregor?

Wildweasel74

People keep talking about McGregor winning titles at 2 weights! But g he didnt even defend one if them! When he fighting the no 1 rated fighter at his current weight and not someone like diaz who only rated 5th or6th

magpie seanie

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 17, 2017, 08:59:46 PM
People keep talking about McGregor winning titles at 2 weights! But g he didnt even defend one if them! When he fighting the no 1 rated fighter at his current weight and not someone like diaz who only rated 5th or6th

Look - I know very little about MMA but most informed commentators thought he'd lose to Jose Aldo who was widely regarded as one of the top 2 or 3 pound for pound fighters in UFC at the time and he wiped him out in seconds. In his field he has done the business, certainly more than Anna Kournikova.