Best dead-ball kicker - ever?

Started by befair, April 02, 2023, 06:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 04, 2023, 02:58:47 PM
McConville was a master at stealing yards. He used to be take off the ground - I assumed that his hamstrings wouldn't let him kick off the ground as much.

His back more than his hamstrings. Guaranteed us 6-7 points every single game,  I won a fair few of them too round the D.... ;)  Always said I helped pad his stats!

Sportacus

Larry Tompkins was a serious free taker in his day.

grounded

Brian Stafford didn't miss many for that great Meath side.

rrhf

Stafford v Tompkins in the late 80s were serious exponents. Eamon Mc enamey from memory was a fine kicker. Gormley had a lovely high curl in and over style. Corkers was class as well.

blanketattack

Dara Ó Cinnéide was an underrated free kick taker. 
I believe one year he had a 100% record from frees/45s.

thebuzz

Quote from: tintin25 on April 04, 2023, 01:01:19 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on April 04, 2023, 12:47:49 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 04, 2023, 09:50:19 AM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 02, 2023, 08:43:21 PM
Former kerry player Bryan sheehan needs to be included in this discussion

Totally agree. Him and Maurice Fitz.
Absolutely mental shoutout to yer man Shelly something from Antrim who kick about 15 points from frees V Down in the 00's. Can't mind his surname or exactly how many points he scored but he had two different boots and had a crazy good game.

Sheeny McQuillan ?

Sheeny McQuillan lol...he was barely putting them over

I think Big Tohill caught one of his to hold Antrim to a draw back about 2000.

rosnarun

Quote from: rrhf on April 04, 2023, 10:15:27 PM
Stafford v Tompkins in the late 80s were serious exponents. Eamon Mc enamey from memory was a fine kicker. Gormley had a lovely high curl in and over style. Corkers was class as well.
its not about scoring great frees other wise one of the goalies would win. probably beggan though Robbie hennelly hs scored some amazing Kicks from out near the middle of the field .
Consistency is what its about and thats why Cillian wins as teh stats show.
though maybe bounus points should be awarded for importance ,3 i can thingk of are MC enamey to win the league  and Cluxton and Rock to secure  The AIF
i
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Armagh18

Quote from: rosnarun on April 05, 2023, 03:32:24 PM
its not about scoring great frees other wise one of the goalies would win. probably beggan though Robbie hennelly hs scored some amazing Kicks from out near the middle of the field .
though maybe bounus points should be awarded for importance ,3 i can thingk of are MC enamey to win the league  and Cluxton and Rock to secure  The AIF
i
O'Connor is not ahead  of Dean Rock.

bennydorano

Quote from: grounded on April 04, 2023, 01:38:20 PM
Quote from: tc_manchester on April 04, 2023, 08:37:08 AM
The cleanest kicker of a dead ball I've seen was Matt Connor of Offaly

A fantastic free taker. Having seen both though, i'd still say Maurice Fitzgerald was better at frees. Matt Connor was a better all round player though!
Not wanting to be disrespectul to the man but Matt Connor enters nearly every GAA conversation eventually in a Godwins law type way. Mo Fitz going the same way.

lenny

i

The thread is about dead ball kicking ie the ball is stationary. That rules out cillian as he takes most of his frees from the hands. Beggan is far and away the best at the moment. Bryan Sheehan of Kerry has a good claim to being the best ever because he was so consistent over short kicks, long kicks and even kicks from huge distances.

rrhf

Quote from: bennydorano on April 05, 2023, 04:40:44 PM

A fantastic free taker. Having seen both though, i'd still say Maurice Fitzgerald was better at frees. Matt Connor was a better all round player though!
Not wanting to be disrespectul to the man but Matt Connor enters nearly every GAA conversation eventually in a Godwins law type way. Mo Fitz going the same way.
Matt Connor is the football connoisseurs answer. Most people cannot dispute as they have only seen a clip or 2.

tc_manchester

Quote from: rrhf on April 06, 2023, 07:47:47 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 05, 2023, 04:40:44 PM

Matt Connor is the football connoisseurs answer. Most people cannot dispute as they have only seen a clip or 2.
I only seen him once live in a Centenary Cup match in Dungannon but his free kicks made a real impression on me. Frank McGuigan was still the best footballer on the pitch that day though.

rosnarun

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 05, 2023, 03:34:02 PM
i
sorry, stats disagree with you.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

blanketattack

Quote from: lenny on April 05, 2023, 06:41:45 PM
i

The thread is about dead ball kicking ie the ball is stationary. That rules out cillian as he takes most of his frees from the hands. Beggan is far and away the best at the moment. Bryan Sheehan of Kerry has a good claim to being the best ever because he was so consistent over short kicks, long kicks and even kicks from huge distances.

If you're going to be that pedantic, the ball isn't stationary anyway with the rotation of the earth on its axis and around the sun and the Solar System's movement and the Milky Way's :P

Armagh18

Quote from: rosnarun on April 06, 2023, 12:11:26 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 05, 2023, 03:34:02 PM
i
sorry, stats disagree with you.
Stats or no stats, in their prime I know who I'd want standing over a high pressure important kick.