Assaults at GAA games

Started by Rudi, September 01, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 07, 2023, 08:40:08 AM
Quote from: Jerome on July 07, 2023, 06:13:39 AM
Whilst not condoning the actions or anything like that I believe there was no knife involved as earlier reported. Believe the weapon was an umbrella.

from tyrone thread...
Ffs. Bit of a difference isn't there.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 07, 2023, 10:25:44 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2023, 09:53:10 AM
I've never been to an amateur or Sunday league soccer game - does the same go on there or is it worse at GAA games?
Never heard of a referee being stabbed at the soccer, so no.

But why even start the whataboutery

Is it a societal problem or is it a GAA problem? That's why.

TabClear

Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2023, 10:42:11 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 07, 2023, 10:15:39 AM
This will likely be an unpopular opinion, but referees have been feeding this beast for years, by turning a blind eye during matches, and accepting post-match apologies deliberately feigned to ensure a more favourable report. And now they can no longer control the beast.

Now they need to take control again, which means getting together and forcing through a new code, along the lines of:

1. personal abuse from player or mentor - immediate red card.
2. more than two instances from the one side - match abandoned.
3. abuse from supporters - registered as a complaint with their CCCC.  Every second complaint sees the reversal of a home match, or a requirement to play with no spectators for a match.

And re no. 1, suspensions should work on a multiplier level and carried over two seasons. First offence, 1 match ban. Second instance, two match ban, and so on.

Perhaps more importantly, they need to police this from within. If they find tgat one of their own is being lenient on personal abuse, then sanction him.

One season of learning and heartache for players, mentors and supporters would clean up football forever.

This kind of approach seems necessary. Personal abuse should not be tolerated at any level.

Agree with this.

One simple change I would take is the AFL approach of moving the ball forward 50m rather than 10m (14m?) for any mouthing or backchat from players. You very rarely see it in AFL because it is such a huge penalty.

Players might soon keep their mouths shut if every transgression is likely to give a shot at goal. If the players/coaches are not constantly guldering that will reduce vitriol in the crowd.

smort

And I also think the current rules need to be enforced better. Isn't remonstrating with a referee not a black card currently?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: JohnDenver on July 07, 2023, 10:47:04 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 07, 2023, 10:25:44 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2023, 09:53:10 AM
I've never been to an amateur or Sunday league soccer game - does the same go on there or is it worse at GAA games?
Never heard of a referee being stabbed at the soccer, so no.

But why even start the whataboutery

I don't think O'Neill is going for the "whataboutery" angle. Seemed like a genuine question to me.

I too would be interested in the answer. I am imaging there wouldn't be the same vitriol as you don't have the same parish vibes and that the soccer games are a gather up of people from everywhere with less spectators.

Referees went on strike in Dublin and last year. Abuse happens. The difference is it isn't tolerated.

And spare us the 'we are more passionate' justification

general_lee

Is there a bit of conflation going on?

Not to take away from the seriousness of the situation; or from the very obvious problem we have at club level when it comes to respecting match officials, verbal abuse, assaults etc... but it's not like this sort of incident is a regular occurrence - especially at a juvenile match. A couple of posters have provided some context with regards to the alleged perpetrator who it seems has some behavioural issues. Talk of a referee strike is a bit ott.

Armagh18

As bad and stuck up their own holes as most refs are that I've ever come across, I'm yet to meet one that has changed his mind after being told what a blinder f**ker he is. Safer off saying nothing as frustrating as it is.

Cavan19

Quote from: general_lee on July 07, 2023, 11:08:44 AM

Not to take away from the seriousness of the situation; or from the very obvious problem we have at club level when it comes to respecting match officials, verbal abuse, assaults etc... but it's not like this sort of incident is a regular occurrence - especially at a juvenile match. A couple of posters have provided some context with regards to the alleged perpetrator who it seems has some behavioural issues. Talk of a referee strike is a bit ott.

From what i have read the behavior of players and management teams towards the referee both before and after the incident needs looking into.

Franko

Quote from: TabClear on July 07, 2023, 10:58:35 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2023, 10:42:11 AM
This will likely be an unpopular opinion, but referees have been feeding this beast for years, by turning a blind eye during matches, and accepting post-match apologies deliberately feigned to ensure a more favourable report. And now they can no longer control the beast.

Now they need to take control again, which means getting together and forcing through a new code, along the lines of:

3. abuse from supporters - registered as a complaint with their CCCC.  Every second complaint sees the reversal of a home match, or a requirement to play with no spectators for a match.

And re no. 1, suspensions should work on a multiplier level and carried over two seasons. First offence, 1 match ban. Second instance, two match ban, and so on.

Perhaps more importantly, they need to police this from within. If they find tgat one of their own is being lenient on personal abuse, then sanction him.

One season of learning and heartache for players, mentors and supporters would clean up football forever.

This kind of approach seems necessary. Personal abuse should not be tolerated at any level.

Agree with this.

One simple change I would take is the AFL approach of moving the ball forward 50m rather than 10m (14m?) for any mouthing or backchat from players. You very rarely see it in AFL because it is such a huge penalty.

Players might soon keep their mouths shut if every transgression is likely to give a shot at goal. If the players/coaches are not constantly guldering that will reduce vitriol in the crowd.

+1 to both of these

tc_manchester

I'd agree with The Wobbler on this. I've been to a good few DDSL (Dublin District Soccer League) matches and the refs who take no shit have the quietest matches. The worst matches (crowd wise) have been were the refs have been debating with players and the sideline. The Sideline mentors have the biggest effect on the atmosphere in a match and the ref needs to shut them down quickly before the atmosphere heats up. I was at one U14 game where the referee sent one player off after 10 minutes and we couldn't figure out what for. I spoke to the ref after the game and asked him why he was sent off and he told me that after he'd blown for a foul the lad had said 'for f**k sake ref'. He'd told both teams that he was not going to take any abuse and send the lad off on a red card. There was not a word said to the ref from players and sideline after that.

RedHand88

Quote from: general_lee on July 07, 2023, 11:08:44 AM

I recently heard abuse being shouted at a referee at an under 8s tournament, by fully grown men. This is not the rare occurrence you think it is.

Rossfan

All starts off with hurley stuff where Refs ignore loads of fouls......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dec

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 07, 2023, 11:17:01 AM
As bad and stuck up their own holes as most refs are that I've ever come across

And that attitude towards referees is part of the problem

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2023, 11:47:22 AM
All starts off with hurley stuff where Refs ignore loads of fouls......

But generally it's bog ball that people start getting personal.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dec on July 07, 2023, 12:14:18 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on July 07, 2023, 11:17:01 AM
As bad and stuck up their own holes as most refs are that I've ever come across

And that attitude towards referees is part of the problem

This guy is a twat though, last of the hard men, probably couldn't get on his reserve team so likes to talk out his arse
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea