Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Mikhailov on August 11, 2023, 12:34:56 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2023, 11:06:50 PM
The Derry game in 95 was the best memory of all those years.

The Derry game of 1995 was the best memory of my lifetime following Tyrone - easily the best.

I know we won 4 AI titles but that day was hard to beat. Actually the first AI win was a bit of an anti climax. But in fairness the 2005 final was a brilliant final to win as was 2008.

The opposition, the rivalry, the excessive heat on the day, the tension in the stands, the tension on the pitch, red cards, the animosity, the hits, the intensity in the air, the late winner - it had absolutely everything.

We will never forget that day !!!!

It can't be overstated what big Art did for Tyrone football. A true legend. 95 was definitely up there as the best wins and atmospheres.

We were spoilt with some unbelievable days in the 2000's as well though. 2005 in particular was hard to beat - the Dublin games/last minute free v Armagh after the 3 game saga/Kerry in the final.

trailer

The Derry game of 1995 was the best memory of my lifetime following Tyrone - easily the best.

I know we won 4 AI titles but that day was hard to beat. Actually the first AI win was a bit of an anti climax. But in fairness the 2005 final was a brilliant final to win as was 2008.

The opposition, the rivalry, the excessive heat on the day, the tension in the stands, the tension on the pitch, red cards, the animosity, the hits, the intensity in the air, the late winner - it had absolutely everything.

That was some day. The scorching heat. Hog Donnelly with a second half for the ages. f**k them Derry ones were sick.

BennyHarp

100% agree with this but I'll add to that list, the complete arrogance of the Derry fans around us at half time and their growing sense of desperation as the second half unfolded 😁 Not sure if it was because I was younger or had a bit of drink in me that day but the elation at the final whistle that day was greater than I felt after any of the AI wins. It was also the day Peter announced himself as unequivocally the greatest footballer in the land. What a display he put on that day. Jimmy Magee on commentary for UTV's coverage, "if ever there was a point worth repeating over and over again...Peter Canavan is some footballer"
That was never a square ball!!

statto

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2023, 10:03:16 AM

100% agree with this but I'll add to that list, the complete arrogance of the Derry fans around us at half time and their growing sense of desperation as the second half unfolded 😁 Not sure if it was because I was younger or had a bit of drink in me that day but the elation at the final whistle that day was greater than I felt after any of the AI wins. It was also the day Peter announced himself as unequivocally the greatest footballer in the land. What a display he put on that day. Jimmy Magee on commentary for UTV's coverage, "if ever there was a point worth repeating over and over again...Peter Canavan is some footballer"
What a man!

square_ball

[/b]

One of the best lines of commentary there ever was. Jimmy Magee was the voice of that summer in 1995.

inowbest

Quote from: square_ball on August 11, 2023, 10:20:36 AM

[/b]

One of the best lines of commentary there ever was. Jimmy Magee was the voice of that summer in 1995.

Another great line from jimmy that game was when Pascal got sent off and it showed the replay of his punches and he said "there's the right hook, left hook, and at this stage Canavan is leading on points" 🤣

A day that will never be forgotten by any Tyrone supporter.

BennyHarp

Quote from: inowbest on August 11, 2023, 10:28:04 AM
Quote from: square_ball on August 11, 2023, 10:20:36 AM

[/b]

Another great line from jimmy that game was when Pascal got sent off and it showed the replay of his punches and he said "there's the right hook, left hook, and at this stage Canavan is leading on points" 🤣

A day that will never be forgotten by any Tyrone supporter.

Peter in possession and is knocked to the ground, gets up and pings it over the bar...Jimmy Magee "That man could kick points off the kitchen table" 😂
That was never a square ball!!

LC

Remember the day well as it was a real scorcher, couldn't get to the match as we had to put the hay in that day so had the radio on in the field.

RedHand88

Quote from: LC on August 11, 2023, 02:23:05 PM

Remember the day well as it was a real scorcher, couldn't get to the match as we had to put the hay in that day so had the radio on in the field.

I read this without reading any other comments and knew straight away yous were talking about Derry 95. It was boiling.

Jim Bob

Read somewhere that the Canavan parents weren't at the match as they were attending the ordination of a neighbour

Walter Cronc

An Watcher

You skipped 96 lad, enjoyable as well

tc_manchester

I was in the Gerry Arthurs that day. I've never experienced an atmosphere like it at any match I've been at before or since. It was just on the edge of boiling over. There was 2/3 pages of letters in the Irish News the next week about how bad it was.

shawshank

Personally I thought 04 was never to be forgotten. Tyrone, All Ireland champs didn't score in the first half as we put you in our back pocket. You just lay down.

clarshack

Quote from: shawshank on August 15, 2023, 01:04:34 PM
Personally I thought 04 was never to be forgotten. Tyrone, All Ireland champs didn't score in the first half as we put you in our back pocket. You just lay down.

that was actually 06. we hammered Derry in 04.