Sligo town

Started by bogball88, July 08, 2015, 04:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogball88

Heading down to Sligo on Saturday for a couple of nights with herself. Anyone recommend a couple of good watering holes worth visiting? Some decent to watch the provincial finals on Sunday as well? Cheers in advance

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Nigel White

Yup Hargadons is a good spot. Had more that a few creamy ones there during the Fleadh last year and hope to do the same this year. There's also a nice spot close to the beach at Strandhill that's well worth a visit if you're out there

macdanger2

Haven't drank much there but Fleur cafe is a nice spot for lunch

Clov

"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Ed Hardy

Mc Hughs or Haragons are two good pubs.. Try 5th on Teeling if your looking for live music! 

T Fearon

Thought when I saw this Sligo Rovers had changed their name!

Syferus

McGarrigles have a lot of live bands (usually rock music if that's your thing) and a nice interior. Some rip-off prices though. The Swagman is a good bar too but with much better prices. They have their own cider (Red Back) on draught which is worth a try. They do plenty of live music too. Hargadons is a lovely (massive) old school bar with loads of snugs. McHugh's closed down earlier in the year but re-opened again soon after. Probably the most modern bar and decent prices, usually quiet too which is probably the reason it closed down..

After 12:30am the main spot people go is the Garavogue by the riverfront, unless there's something on in one of the niteclubs.

To watch matches in it's hard to beat the Belfry, and they have a big snooker/pool room with full-sized tables to boot if that's your thing.

BennyCake

Sligo is an optical illusion. Drove round it 6 times looking a parking space, and each time went a different route even though I went the same way!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Clov on July 08, 2015, 05:31:29 PM
It's been a few years since i've been there but Thomas Connolly's is a grand spot.

https://republichouse.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/thomas-connollys-sets-the-standard-for-sligo-town-pub-hoppin/

That's a good write up. It's an excellent pub. Hargadons and Shoots also are well up there. Excellent pints and the food in Hargadon's is top really good.

For watching a match the suggestions so far are good. I'm from close to Strandhill and love the place so The Strand House (right at the shore) in Strandhill is a good place to watch a game if you venture out that far. In town as has been said, The Belfry is a very good option.

Sligo has lots of nice pubs, cafés and restaurants - enjoy to the full and come back often!

Premier Emperor

Sligo is a big soccer town and some of the pubs might not want to put on GAA on the tv.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 09, 2015, 09:26:58 AM
Sligo is a big soccer town and some of the pubs might not want to put on GAA on the tv.

You'll be fine in the places mentioned. The Belfry group (including Toff's Night Club and Kennedy's Bar) sponsor the club championships in Sligo and the Strand in Strandhill are long time sponsors of my club. There are no soccer matches on anyway.

Syferus

Never heard such shite in fairness Emp! All the bars who show sports show all the big GAA games. They're not going to be losing business over soccer zealotry.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2015, 03:16:44 PM

Never heard such shite in fairness Emp! All the bars who show sports show all the big GAA games. They're not going to be losing business over soccer zealotry.
I was in Sligo about 10 years ago one Saturday and wanted to see the hurling. It was around this time of year, so there was no English soccer leagues on. The first pub was clearly a soccer pub as it had soccer jersies and posters in it. It had horse racing on one tv and rolling soccer news on the other.
I asked the barman could he switch it over, and he started asking stupid questions like who is playing. Then he said the regulars would want it switched back to their channels and wouldn't turn on the hurling. There were about 7 or 8 people in the pub and none of them seemed that interested in what was the tv.

The next place had Darts on the tv and I asked the bar girl, who was foreign, could it be switched over. She went off the check with the owner and came back and told me it had to stay on the channel it was on. At that stage I gave up and went back to the hotel I was staying.

Syferus

Jesus that BS Emp, sorry you went into those places. Never had it happen once in Sligo and I've been here a few years now, though I've never actually had to ask because it's always been on when I go. Like Seanie said some of the places in town sponsor GAA competitions and teams so it's definitely not a case of there being some widespread hatred of GAA, more of a detachment more than anything else.

Watched the club finals in the Fiddlers' and the Belfry on Paddy's Day myself. The Belfry probably has the best setup for matches so if it ever happens your in town again don't let some bollixs stop you from going to a bar and enjoying the match.

Oh and I forgot about Lillies - nice bar just off The Mall in the town.