Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: 50fiftyball on November 06, 2015, 12:00:35 PM
Anyone recommendations between Christmas & New Year? I know its got hugely popular and prices have went up, talking about boxing day onwards and back first week of Jan - you know the week where you lay about, eat, drink, eat again and get fat!

Love the US but its expensive, there isn't really anywhere warm enough in Europe - beach weather. Anyone been to Thailand etc? Talking 25-35 age group.

I priced going to California direct from Dublin to LA with Ethiopian Air between Christmas and NY and flights were reasonable. 

Instead we decided to go to....Aberdeen!

The Subbie

Anyone any tips on Bali?? Going in April.

stiffler

Anyone recommendations between Christmas & New Year? I know its got hugely popular and prices have went up, talking about boxing day onwards and back first week of Jan - you know the week where you lay about, eat, drink, eat again and get fat!

Love the US but its expensive, there isn't really anywhere warm enough in Europe - beach weather. Anyone been to Thailand etc? Talking 25-35 age group.

Thailand a great spot to go to for that age range? Loads to do , and plenty of nightlife.

Guaranteed warm weather , however can be overcast. Christmas and new yrs is peak season so more expensive and accomodation can be sparse.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Gold

I'm staying in Sligo next weekend. Any good spots/bars etc to go to/things to do?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

GJL

Quote from: The Subbie on November 07, 2015, 02:32:51 AM
Anyone any tips on Bali?? Going in April.

Great spot for outdoor adrenalin sports. White water rafting, scuba diving, etc. Was in it for a week as part of my honeymoon.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Gold on November 07, 2015, 10:38:19 AM
I'm staying in Sligo next weekend. Any good spots/bars etc to go to/things to do?

This would start you off.
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=25998.msg1488135#msg1488135

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: Rois on November 06, 2015, 03:15:48 PM

I priced going to California direct from Dublin to LA with Ethiopian Air between Christmas and NY and flights were reasonable. 

I can't make any sense out of either of those sentences!

What is 'between Christmas and NY'?

MWWSI 2017

Rois

Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2015, 10:16:42 AM
Quote from: Rois on November 06, 2015, 03:15:48 PM

I can't make any sense out of either of those sentences!

What is 'between Christmas and NY'?
The week that you're forced to take off work between 25 December and 1 Jan because the office is closed or there's not much happening.   

omaghjoe

Ye prob heard Rois ( and anyone else) but if your headin to Socal Aer Lingus is reopening the direct  flight from Dublin to LAX in May

...Thank God for IAG and Willie Walsh ;)

Rois

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 10, 2015, 05:24:54 PM
Ye prob heard Rois ( and anyone else) but if your headin to Socal Aer Lingus is reopening the direct  flight from Dublin to LAX in May

...Thank God for IAG and Willie Walsh ;)
Oh yes I sure did - features in next year's holiday plans already!

JimStynes

Anyone been to Annecy or that region of France for a holiday? Thinking about heading in July for a few weeks, stopping and touring about different places.

Rois

Quote from: JimStynes on November 15, 2015, 09:41:50 PM
Anyone been to Annecy or that region of France for a holiday? Thinking about heading in July for a few weeks, stopping and touring about different places.
We went to Chamonix for a few days around the 12th July this summer past for our anniversary as we got married there the summer before, and spent a day in Annecy on the way. One of the nicest towns I've ever visited, it was my second time to visit the place and my opinion hadn't changed in the ten years in between. We didn't stay in Annecy though. The town of Evian is beautiful and in the same region. The Montreux jazz festival (Swiss side of the lake) is on in July too and we stayed along the lake a little from Montreux in the Chablais vineyard region, it was so stunning, getting up and going for an early morning swim in Lake Geneva. We did some hiking in Chamonix, stayed a few days there, such a busy town. Any outdoor activity can be done there and it is motorway accessible.
I hope we make it an annual trip as it is an amazing part of Europe. So much to do.

heffo

Quote from: JimStynes on November 15, 2015, 09:41:50 PM

The whole area around there is beautiful - you've loads of different options for places to visit too if you had time

JimStynes

I don't know where to start in terms of an itinerary as there are so many options. Could even drive to nice but that would be a rush. I will be in the area for a few days cycling then my wife is coming to meet me at Geneva airport and we will start our trip there. I spent a day in Annecy last year and loved it! Only got to see a little bit of it. One of the nicest places I've ever been. Definitely want to spend a few days chilling out here. Maybe even finish the trip in Annecy for 3 or 4 days. Ive seen a place Talloires mentioned as well. That Montreux Chablais vineyard region you mentioned sounds good, Rois. Chamonix is also on the list of places to see and take a cable car up Mont Blanc.  We aren't party animals or anything. Like a mixture of an active and chilling out/sunbathing holiday.

I'm assuming car hire is essential?

Any itinerary suggestions or BnBs/hotel suggestions let us know!

Rois

Yeah def hire a car for travelling in France. You could start from Geneva on the a Swiss side of Lake Geneva and spend a few days around the area, we stayed in Clarion Hotel Lavaux and you get a free train pass to go to Lausanne/ Montreux on the regional line so you can ditch the car and enjoy the wine. You could then drive around the lake to the French side.

If you go into the mountains around Chamonix, there are so many accommodation options as the place is set up for tourists. We stayed in Hotel les Aiglons because it had an outdoor pool and was in the town centre. The weather was absolutely amazing, though it lashed all week when we got married the year before! The hotel is right beside the Mont Blanc lift.  If you go there you can pay to drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel into Italy and the town of Courmayeur (sp) for another perspective.
It's an hour's drive between Chamonix and Annecy. Don't forget 14 July is Bastille Day, and the Euros might still be on.
I spent 3 summers working about 1.5 hours from Geneva in the Swiss pre-alpes which was when I first visited Annecy, the place is amazing. Where are you cycling?