Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on October 01, 2014, 11:39:53 AM
Did Berlin last year and Brussels/Brugges before that. Both great trips I doubt you'd be disappointed with either!

Have to say I love City Breaks as opposed to a Sun holiday. There's something about lying by a pool all day in the sun that just doesn't appeal to me!!
Are you a man?
Are you over the age of 30 and under 60?

If the answer is yes to both of these questions then that explains it.

Joe Blob

Bled in Slovenia is a lovely spot for a wee break. If you like to be active there is plenty of exploring to be done and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Joe Blob on October 01, 2014, 01:44:02 PM
Bled in Slovenia is a lovely spot for a wee break. If you like to be active there is plenty of exploring to be done and it won't cost an arm and a leg.
Where do you fly into for there?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Walter Cronc

Did Berlin last year and Brussels/Brugges before that. Both great trips I doubt you'd be disappointed with either!

Have to say I love City Breaks as opposed to a Sun holiday. There's something about lying by a pool all day in the sun that just doesn't appeal to me!!

Cheers SE!

Mikhailov

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 01, 2014, 02:10:56 PM

Cheers SE!

Have done quite a few city breaks with the missus and they are definitely as enjoyable or if not more enjoyable than a summer sun holiday. Wee bit of culture, sightseeing, she shops - you watch sport in some pub, food etc.  Some of the good cities are Prague, Barcelona, Madrid, Salzburg, Munich and actually London believe it or not. Think you can fly into all of these from Dublin direct with Ryanair, Aer Lingus, Wizz Air, Air Berlin and others

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 01, 2014, 11:30:30 AM
Cheers Boycey, yeah done Krakow and Auschwitz/Birkenau. Was an excellent trip. Would also recommend Budapest. Great city! Never been to Prague so that could be an option. Would love to try Berlin or even Brussels/Bruge.
I have been to Krakow, prague, berlin & budapest and thought all of them where great in their own way for a city break.
If its around christmas Prague is great as it has the christmas markets etc.
The walking tour is fantastic (and free, aprt from whatever you wish to tip teh guide)
we got a scotish guy who lived in prague for years taking ours and he was fantastic.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Boycey

Sell Brussels/Bruges to me please.... :)

Its always near the bottom of the list pricewise when browsing flights but for some reason I always pick somewhere else. Its not "sexy" enough or something.

thanks in advance

armaghniac

Copehagen is pleasant, not too big, you'd get a good feel for it in a few days. Go to to viking ship museum in Roskilde, 20 mins on  suburban train, they have the replica ship there that sailed to Dublin. It is dearer than Bled in Slovenia to be sure.

Personally I'd could take or leave Brussels, but Bruges is lovely, although small. Great grub too.

Loads in Berlin if 20th century history lights your bulb, you could stay for 10 days.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Walter Cronc

muppet

Nice is another great spot for a couple of nights.

Helsinki is quite small compared to say Dublin, but you can walk everywhere.

Berlin is well worth a visit and if the weather is good a great place to walk around.

If you wanted to be adventurous and have a few days, fly to Prague, hire a car and travel to the south and west. Cheap accommodation, cheap food and cheap excellent beer. Cesky Krumlov is well worth seeing: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/czech-republic/bohemia/cesky-krumlov. Should be quiet at this time of year too.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: Boycey on October 01, 2014, 02:43:07 PM

Sell Brussels/Bruges to me please.... :)

Its always near the bottom of the list pricewise when browsing flights but for some reason I always pick somewhere else. Its not "sexy" enough or something.

thanks in advance

For a weekend break it's superb. You can take a day in Brussels walking around the shops/enjoying the beer... there are also a few brewery tours you can take which are good. The light show at the Grand Place is always good as well at night time. We were lucky last time we went as Christy Moore was playing and it was an exceptional gig.

Take a day then and do Brugges on a bicycle. Plenty to cycle around and lots of good food and drink for the many stops you'll make.

If I was staying longer than 3 days I'd probably struggle but Brussels is perfect for a weekend!

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: armaghniac on October 01, 2014, 02:48:52 PM
Copehagen is pleasant, not too big, you'd get a good feel for it in a few days. Go to to viking ship museum in Roskilde, 20 mins on  suburban train, they have the replica ship there that sailed to Dublin. It is dearer than Bled in Slovenia to be sure.

Personally I'd could take or leave Brussels, but Bruges is lovely, although small. Great grub too.

Loads in Berlin if 20th century history lights your bulb, you could stay for 10 days.
+1

Haven't been to Brussels but I'd like to go to Bruges sometime.

Copenhagen is quite expensive compared to Berlin though. Fassbender & Rausch chocolate shop in Berlin is something else!

armaghniac

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on October 01, 2014, 03:30:28 PM
Copenhagen is quite expensive compared to Berlin though. Fassbender & Rausch chocolate shop in Berlin is something else!

Eating and drinking is expensive, for sure, but hotels in Copenhagen are not outrageous, and that is half your bill.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 01, 2014, 09:27:27 AM
A lot of hotels down south have that sort of set up. I suppose depending on what you want really, as regards kids etc. A few I've stayed in.

Castlerosse Hotel in Killarney has nice chalets on the grounds, and you are considered a resident of the hotel so you can swim etc. There's also a golf course on the grounds of the hotel as well.

The Quality hotel in Clonakilty is geared towards kids especially, but is another with apartments on the grounds. This hotel has a cinema on the grounds, a kids play area (ball pits etc), and the pool leisure centre as well..

A more upmarket version is probably Knightsbrook, in Trim. They have the leisure centre, and it's a nice hotel and golf resort. They also have the chalets.

To be honest it's not hard to find hotels with chalets on the grounds, but I've stayed in those 3 and they were all perfect.
Cheers. & the other contributors. Expensive enough carry on, probably better value in heading abroad again, but fancy a home holiday next year.

GJL

Have a wedding to go to in Malta next June. Anyone been?