All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Can you really mention Tyrone on the same breath as the other 3 any more?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

clarshack

macdanger2

Well done Dublin and to the sound Dubs on here, Hound, thehillisblue, Declan, sid, not sure who else.

Gutted obviously but we had chances and didn't take them - Vaughan sending off and turned over free was huge and he'll know that himself and will be hurting more than anyone.

We needed a couple of big calls to go our way to win the first AI - a yellow for Vaughan or the penalty decision would have been that call. I wouldn't say either was a wrong call but equally, either one could have easily gone the other way. In real time on the hill, I called a red and a penalty. A second penalty call that doesn't seem to have been discussed was after the Doherty goal chance, in real time I didn't think it was but on second viewing, it's a definite penalty for me. That said, who knows how the game would have gone if there had been a penalty, the entire dynamics of the game would have been different. On the other hand, I'd be confident of an extra man having made the difference.

Big mistake by Gavin to start O'Gara, if Dublin had lost he would have rightly been pilloried. As it is, he was able to call on serious artillery off the bench to win it for him.

How did Mccarthy win motm? Cleaned out for 50 mins, scores two points and catches a couple of crucial kickouts when the mayo legs are tiring. Rock (4 pts from play and the winning free) or Connolly motm for me.

criostlinn

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 20, 2017, 08:44:33 PM
Seen Redmond crying in the Herald there,about a new low, nearly as low as staying on the pitch after been sent off in a final, the worst action of the game was O`Gara which wasn't mentioned at all, or no mention of Costello throwing away kicking tees, blue blinkers on as always. Alot of ex dublin players like him and Murphy would put you off admiring this great Dublin team.

Agree with this.

I had a great day Sunday. Really enjoyed the match, except for the result obviously. Was very proud of the Mayo team and sometimes you just have to accept you were beaten by the better team. During and after the match I was annoyed with some of McQuillans decisions, the non penalty most of all, but in these games its swings and roundabouts. After the match I couldn't stomach hanging around Drumcondra with the "only bleedin banter brigade" and instead had a few pints with some proper true blue gaa men. Obviously they were delighted with the result and the three in row but they were able to chat about the match without feeling the need to belittle Mayo with the nonsense trash talk I've seen all over social media the last few days.

I've been going to Mayo - Dublin matches for manys the year and always enjoy them. The majority of the Dublin support are 100% but the vocal minority who are egged on by gobshites like Charlie Redmond and Vinnie Murphy along with these so called "fan" pages on social media are hard to put up with.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on September 20, 2017, 09:06:24 PM
Only last year Tyrone lost a quarter final more than Mayo won it. They aren't at the level of the Tyrone All Ireland winning teams however come next summer i would expect them to be there or thereabouts against both Mayo,Kerry where one side is in transition and the other about to go into transition.

tonto1888

I don't know what to make of Keegans antics. On one hand it's pretty low but on the other hand you and see why he done it. People saying that anyone would have done it, well that remains to be seen. Maybe we will see it a lot more next year. Maybe not

Orchard park

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 20, 2017, 09:40:34 PM
I don't know what to make of Keegans antics. On one hand it's pretty low but on the other hand you and see why he done it. People saying that anyone would have done it, well that remains to be seen. Maybe we will see it a lot more next year. Maybe not

Any worse than Costello  behaviour from moment he came on including the goalie teegate

tonto1888

Seen Redmond crying in the Herald there,about a new low, nearly as low as staying on the pitch after been sent off in a final, the worst action of the game was O`Gara which wasn't mentioned at all, or no mention of Costello throwing away kicking tees, blue blinkers on as always. Alot of ex dublin players like him and Murphy would put you off admiring this great Dublin team.

I'm not familiar with his pieces but isbit possible he didn't see it? I certainly didn't notice it during the game and don't think it was mentioned on TSG. Costello I'm talking about

tonto1888

Quote from: Orchard park on September 20, 2017, 09:42:32 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 20, 2017, 09:40:34 PM

Any worse than Costello  behaviour from moment he came on including the goalie teegate

I think so. Not defending Costello as he came on and started to wrestle straight away. It that happens all the time. Keegan was unique. As for teegate I didn't notice that but that's not on either. Would t be as unique as what keegan done though? I'd say more people would be inclined to do that than take their gps tracker out and throw it at the ball

I'm not defending him in anyway. Costello that is. I hate all that wrestling shite he was at and thinknit should be a black card. As should chucking the tees. Is the keeper allowed to kick the ball out without the tees?

Gael85

Quote from: criostlinn on September 20, 2017, 09:14:31 PM

Agree with this.

I had a great day Sunday. Really enjoyed the match, except for the result obviously. Was very proud of the Mayo team and sometimes you just have to accept you were beaten by the better team. During and after the match I was annoyed with some of McQuillans decisions, the non penalty most of all, but in these games its swings and roundabouts. After the match I couldn't stomach hanging around Drumcondra with the "only bleedin banter brigade" and instead had a few pints with some proper true blue gaa men. Obviously they were delighted with the result and the three in row but they were able to chat about the match without feeling the need to belittle Mayo with the nonsense trash talk I've seen all over social media the last few days.

I've been going to Mayo - Dublin matches for manys the year and always enjoy them. The majority of the Dublin support are 100% but the vocal minority who are egged on by gobshites like Charlie Redmond and Vinnie Murphy along with these so called "fan" pages on social media are hard to put up with.

You be doing well to stomach pints in Drumcondra especially Quinns where the drink is muck. Wouldn't pay any heed to players from Dublin 90 team especially Charlie and Vinny Murphy.Paul Curran was at same re kerry during the league. These lads have no attachment to current Dublin side

trileacman

Redmond is some cuunt for whinging and him sent off against us and wouldn't leave the pitch. Where the f**k was his Corinthian spirit in 95?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

blast05

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 20, 2017, 09:16:22 PM
Only last year Tyrone lost a quarter final more than Mayo won it. They aren't at the level of the Tyrone All Ireland winning teams however come next summer i would expect them to be there or thereabouts against both Mayo,Kerry where one side is in transition and the other about to go into transition.

Surely surely you know realise that Mayo in semi-finals and finals versus earlier in the seasons are 2 completely different beasts. They plan to peak for semis and finals and have got it fairly consistently right.
There is simply no way on earth i would compare the Mayo performance against Tyrone last year with any of our performances v Dublin in past few years or v Kerry in 2014.

straightred

Quote from: blast05 on September 20, 2017, 10:43:17 PM

Surely surely you know realise that Mayo in semi-finals and finals versus earlier in the seasons are 2 completely different beasts. They plan to peak for semis and finals and have got it fairly consistently right.
There is simply no way on earth i would compare the Mayo performance against Tyrone last year with any of our performances v Dublin in past few years or v Kerry in 2014.

Maybe they do plan to peak for August/Sept but was Derry missing a free in the last minute to knock them out part of the plan. Or cork, or roscommon, or Kerry even. If it was part of the plan fair play to them as it worked. However its high risk and they very very lucky not to get caught out

Lar Naparka

Quote from: criostlinn on September 20, 2017, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 20, 2017, 06:37:54 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 20, 2017, 05:44:05 PM
I think I've had three reasonable answers to the questions I posed and thanks to those who took the trouble to reply.
The attitude to the negative policies of some, especially northern, counties was my main interest.
It seems all of us believe that the end justifies the means and that whatever it takes to win comes before entertaining anyone. Now, Dub supporters by and large were very critical of Tyrone  and their negative tactics in the semi, forgetting it seems that Mickey &co. were more afraid of losing rather that confident of winning.
They played the way that gave them the best prospect of winning as they couldn't hope to match the Dubs if they went toe to toe. It was a case of damage limitation before the ref threw the ball in. They knew they weren't going to score much but they concentrated on trying to prevent Dublin scoring more than them and feck the spectacle.
I imagine Mayo is the only county that wouldn't go on the back foot when playing Dublin but I may be biased here. However, I don't think so.
@The Greatest.
No, I don't blame the Dubs for Mayo's defeats in any year you care to mention. I wasn't referring to Mayo in any sense. It's just that the Hill is Blue fella always struck me as a reasonable individual but the stuff he came out with in his last post astounded me. Talk about cliches and generalisations!  I get a lot of that stuff in my local alright but I was curious to see how many Dubs would think the way he does.

Lar, I'm puzzled as to which post of mine you're referring.

I think he's mixing you up with someone else
Lar, stay with the program. its Hill16 Blues and I wouldn't be really putting much thought into what that jackass say.
You are right Criost, I mistook the troll for one of the more sensible posters on this forum.
This goes back to a post on page 33, before the game, when I answered a query from Wildweasel , looking for info on Mayo's training expenses.(Or something like that.)
I gave him the figures for both Mayo and Dublin, which I'm confident are correct.
Imagine my surprise when The Hill is Blue replied saying it was time to cut out the bitching and enjoy the prospect of the game.
As there wasn't an iota of bitching in my post, this was the last reply I expected from him. Then when I saw "Hill" and "Blue" in the troll's post, I jumped to a wrong conclusion. Bejaysus, I thought if The Hill is Blue is thinking like that, what's going on on the Dublin side of the divide?
I suppose you could take this as a backhanded compliment  as I know it wasn't likely for him to stoop that low. I
jumped to the wrong conclusion and decided to see what genuine Dub supporters thought about what had been posted here.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Captain Obvious

Quote from: blast05 on September 20, 2017, 10:43:17 PM

Surely surely you know realise the super 8 will be the new quarter final stage of the competition next year.  As for planning to peak i highly doubt any team would have planned to sail as close to the wind as Mayo did the last two years.