Clare v Mayo Round 3A Qualifier

Started by From the Bunker, July 03, 2017, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 03, 2017, 01:32:00 PM
They did a lot of work on it there last year....

That was just the stand though, didn't touch the terraces to the best of my knowledge
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Gael85 on July 04, 2017, 04:30:52 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 04, 2017, 03:25:42 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on July 04, 2017, 09:40:49 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 03, 2017, 10:06:53 PM
Ok lets be done with the Plámásing!

Clare won two games in the National League - Down and Cork.

Drew with Derry away.

They lost four in the League - Galway, Kildare, Fermanagh and Meath. Bar the Kildare game, Clare got some good beatings in some of those games.

Clare only survived Division 2 on Goal difference.

Clare beat Limerick by a point this year in the Munster Championship and were beat by six by 14 man Kerry in the second half.

Clare beat Laois who played the last 25 minutes with 14 men.

Clare biggest win of the past 15 months was beating Roscommon. A Roscommon team who had six days to recover from a hiding from Galway.

This is not putting Clare down, their heads are up presently and will be a formidable threat, but lets not lose the run of where they are at!

Clare have achieved greatly against the odds over last 4 years under Colm Collins who inherited a group of players that had little underage success compared to the hurlers. This season they lost 5/6 from last year panel so its a miracle they stayed in Division 2 and to progress in qualifiers working off a small pool of 21/22 players.

Can you name the 5 or 6 players because looking at last and this years reports they seem to have retained more or less the same 20 plus players.

Shane McGrath
Shane Hickey
Enda Coughlan
Pat Burke
Podge Collins

Alan O'Neill,Jack O'Dea,Sean Haugh,Declan McMahon,Sean O'Donoghue,Damien Burke and Martin O'Leary were on panel also gone. Liam Markham, John Hayes, Ciaran Russell and Shane Brennan are back this year. Apart from John Hayes none of the bench against Laois has started a senior championship game for Clare

Thanks. Like every county not in the running for the All Ireland have a lost a number of players from their panel however it seems they have only lost a few starters from last years All Ireland quarter final.

V Laois last Saturday

Joe Hayes; Dean Ryan, Kevin Harnett, Gordon Kelly; Pierce Lillis , Sean Collins, Martin McMahon; Ciaran Russell, Gary Brennan; Cathal O'Connor, Jamie Malone, Cian O'Dea; Eoin Cleary, David Tubridy, Keelan Sexton

V Kerry in the All Ireland quarter final in 2016.

J Hayes; S Hickey, K Harnett, D Ryan; M McMahon, G Kelly, C O'Dea; G Brennan, C O'Connor; S Collins, P Collins, E Cleary; J Malone, D Tubridy, P Lillis.

Keelan Sexton for Podge Collins and Ciaran Russell for Shane Hickey the only changes to their first 15.

Zulu

I think this is a very difficult draw for Mayo, one they should win alright but one they could also lose. Clare will be underestimated by many but I reckon they ar definitely a division 2 standard team and are well coached and motivated. I don't think they'll win but if Mayo aren't focused they could be caught. Mayo by 4 after a close enough game.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on July 04, 2017, 06:13:47 PM
I think this is a very difficult draw for Mayo, one they should win alright but one they could also lose. Clare will be underestimated by many but I reckon they ar definitely a division 2 standard team and are well coached and motivated. I don't think they'll win but if Mayo aren't focused they could be caught. Mayo by 4 after a close enough game.

Step back from the ledge, Zulu. No need to go out on such a limb.

Gael85

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 04, 2017, 06:00:14 PM

Drew with Derry away.

They lost four in the League - Galway, Kildare, Fermanagh and Meath. Bar the Kildare game, Clare got some good beatings in some of those games.

Clare beat Limerick by a point this year in the Munster Championship and were beat by six by 14 man Kerry in the second half.

Clare biggest win of the past 15 months was beating Roscommon. A Roscommon team who had six days to recover from a hiding from Galway.

This is not putting Clare down, their heads are up presently and will be a formidable threat, but lets not lose the run of where they are at!

Clare have achieved greatly against the odds over last 4 years under Colm Collins who inherited a group of players that had little underage success compared to the hurlers. This season they lost 5/6 from last year panel so its a miracle they stayed in Division 2 and to progress in qualifiers working off a small pool of 21/22 players.

Can you name the 5 or 6 players because looking at last and this years reports they seem to have retained more or less the same 20 plus players.

Shane McGrath
Shane Hickey
Enda Coughlan
Pat Burke
Podge Collins

Alan O'Neill,Jack O'Dea,Sean Haugh,Declan McMahon,Sean O'Donoghue,Damien Burke and Martin O'Leary were on panel also gone. Liam Markham, John Hayes, Ciaran Russell and Shane Brennan are back this year. Apart from John Hayes none of the bench against Laois has started a senior championship game for Clare

Thanks. Like every county not in the running for the All Ireland have a lost a number of players from their panel however it seems they have only lost a few starters from last years All Ireland quarter final.

V Laois last Saturday

Joe Hayes; Dean Ryan, Kevin Harnett, Gordon Kelly; Pierce Lillis , Sean Collins, Martin McMahon; Ciaran Russell, Gary Brennan; Cathal O'Connor, Jamie Malone, Cian O'Dea; Eoin Cleary, David Tubridy, Keelan Sexton

J Hayes; S Hickey, K Harnett, D Ryan; M McMahon, G Kelly, C O'Dea; G Brennan, C O'Connor; S Collins, P Collins, E Cleary; J Malone, D Tubridy, P Lillis.

Keelan Sexton for Podge Collins and Ciaran Russell for Shane Hickey the only changes to their first 15.

Football is a 21 man game and the lack of options on bench will cost Clare. Most games their subs have only been used in last 5-10 minutes. In 10 games between championship and league none of subs have scored.It still been a good season for Clare football regardless of Saturday result.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Gael85 on July 04, 2017, 06:47:53 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 04, 2017, 06:00:14 PM

Drew with Derry away.

Shane McGrath
Shane Hickey
Enda Coughlan
Pat Burke
Podge Collins

V Laois last Saturday

Football is a 21 man game and the lack of options on bench will cost Clare. Most games their subs have only been used in last 5-10 minutes. In 10 games between championship and league none of subs have scored.It still been a good season for Clare football regardless of Saturday result.

Was just thinking of this. In the Kerry game, Kerry were able to bring on Stephen O'Brien at half-time and he scored 1-1 in the 2nd half. Sheehan also came on in the dying minutes and kicked a free/45. 1-2 from their subs bench in that game. They were also able to bring on Donaghy, Buckley, Lyne, Sheehan and Savage . Being able to bring on subs of that quality especially when down to 14 is a massive massive advantage.

Farrandeelin

Reality is setting in. Mayo cannot afford to shitehawk around with the ball for 65 minutes against any other team this year. Clare have nothing to lose imo and will throw everything at Mayo. What Mayo will turn up is another thing. Let's hope it's the one in extra time, although if Derry had the fitness levels Mayo had the last day in et it could be different.

I couldn't believe my ears last night when I was in conversation with a man who said that AOS had a bad game the last day. Then I told him that he kept Mayo in the game when the rest were falling badly. 'I suppose' was his response...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayoman dan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 05, 2017, 05:35:55 PM
Reality is setting in. Mayo cannot afford to shitehawk around with the ball for 65 minutes against any other team this year. Clare have nothing to lose imo and will throw everything at Mayo. What Mayo will turn up is another thing. Let's hope it's the one in extra time, although if Derry had the fitness levels Mayo had the last day in et it could be different.

I couldn't believe my ears last night when I was in conversation with a man who said that AOS had a bad game the last day. Then I told him that he kept Mayo in the game when the rest were falling badly. 'I suppose' was his response...

Agree about O Se Farr but how do we best use him??? I think Andys days as a starter should be over he was badly beaten to a few balls against Derry when he had a few yards on the defender.Id keep Andy and Loftus in reserve and throw them in for the last 25 minutes.Could we use O Se at ff with Cillian and Doherty playing off himor is he needed further out the field???

Syferus

Quote from: mayoman dan on July 05, 2017, 05:46:38 PM

Agree about O Se Farr but how do we best use him??? I think Andys days as a starter should be over he was badly beaten to a few balls against Derry when he had a few yards on the defender.Id keep Andy and Loftus in reserve and throw them in for the last 25 minutes.Could we use O Se at ff with Cillian and Doherty playing off himor is he needed further out the field???

Moran is still Mayo's best forward. For all his failings Rochford at least realises that. If anything he should b e leaving him on longer. Probably cost them the Galway match taking him off and letting the likes of Regan on to shoot wild balls in the direction of the posts and Kirby who did absolutely nothing at all.

mayoman dan

Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2017, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on July 05, 2017, 05:46:38 PM

Moran is still Mayo's best forward. For all his failings Rochford at least realises that. If anything he should b e leaving him on longer. Probably cost them the Galway match taking him off and letting the likes of Regan on to shoot wild balls in the direction of the posts and Kirby who did absolutely nothing at all.

He is but when hes on the pitch our forward play is kick it into Andy who will win it and dish it off to runners.Im Andys biggest fan but i think we would be better to have O Se at ff for the first 50 minutes and bring a fresh Andy on for the last 20.Our critics can talk about marquee forwards till the cows come home but i believe Mayos single biggest weakness from the Horan era right up to today is the lack of respect for possesion.The amount of soft ball we give away is unreal especially for a team that works so hard to win it back

imtommygunn

He's your best forward so keep him on the bench for 50 minutes doesn't make sense...

mayoman dan

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2017, 06:32:40 PM
He's your best forward so keep him on the bench for 50 minutes doesn't make sense...

Id rather have him for the last 20 minutes when the game might have opened up a bit

larryin89

This game will most likely see out this core group of players,i really hope our brilliant support can show tjem appreciation in defeat. A massive thunderous clap when its over in a big grma to the lads for the massive gallant effort theyve put in these last few years.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

joemamas

Quote from: larryin89 on July 05, 2017, 09:08:57 PM
This game will most likely see out this core group of players,i really hope our brilliant support can show tjem appreciation in defeat. A massive thunderous clap when its over in a big grma to the lads for the massive gallant effort theyve put in these last few years.

Larry,

I agree wholeheartedly with the latter part of your comments and I hope I am also present when that happens. It will not however happen next Saturday.