We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Pretty poor carry on from Connolly and his legal advisors per that article which I'd struggle to believe is untrue. Disappointing to read that. He should be so grateful that he has avoided the slammer.

twohands!!!

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 04, 2017, 12:04:20 PM
Pretty poor carry on from Connolly and his legal advisors per that article which I'd struggle to believe is untrue. Disappointing to read that. He should be so grateful that he has avoided the slammer.

There's zero chance that a solicitor was coming out with this in front of a judge if not true. The stuff about Connolly's solicitor and how he acted is the real clincher; very rarely does one legal professional call out another legal professional like this in front of a judge.

Crete Boom

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 04, 2017, 02:54:17 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 04, 2017, 12:04:20 PM

There's zero chance that a solicitor was coming out with this in front of a judge if not true. The stuff about Connolly's solicitor and how he acted is the real clincher; very rarely does one legal professional call out another legal professional like this in front of a judge.

That legal firm has been called out by other legal firms for about 30 years now and much more than that!!

Avondhu star

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 03, 2017, 08:50:27 PM
In fairness Diarmuid is the victim once again here. Diarmuid volunteers his free time year in year out. What more do the Public expect from him?
Tom Humphreys was a great man for volunteering as well.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: mup on November 04, 2017, 09:14:15 AM
Its only matter of time before an ex Dublin footballer appears in the media to blame Lee Keegan for this.

Or Jim Gavin blaming Pat Spillane  ;D

TheGreatest

The fascination continues. People care more about him than their own county players or club, sad really.

Bottom line, he did wrong 6 years ago, got away it with easily but that's the way the world works now.

I would also look at some the history of violence is some of your own counties GAA pitches were cowards keep their mouths shut, for example, Tyrone GAA was is and was built on violence and thuggery. Just ask the county chairman who was knocked out at a ladies county final.

magpie seanie

Quote from: TheGreatest on November 06, 2017, 08:53:13 AM
The fascination continues. People care more about him than their own county players or club, sad really.

Bottom line, he did wrong 6 years ago, got away it with easily but that's the way the world works now.

I would also look at some the history of violence is some of your own counties GAA pitches were cowards keep their mouths shut, for example, Tyrone GAA was is and was built on violence and thuggery. Just ask the county chairman who was knocked out at a ladies county final.

Could you not just accept the story presented reads poorly for Connolly? Your post unfortunately is "the way the world works now" with people defending the indefensible when it suits and then taking the opposite tack when going after others. Very Trumpian.

TheGreatest

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2017, 09:46:33 AM

Could you not just accept the story presented reads poorly for Connolly? Your post unfortunately is "the way the world works now" with people defending the indefensible when it suits and then taking the opposite tack when going after others. Very Trumpian.

I do, he did wrong, should of done jail time, got lucky, this was resolved in the courts a few years ago, suspended sentence, community service, anger management classes and a payment to the victim. Done. Now Victim wants money from Connolly and McGowan's, this is a civil matter. The criminal case long resolved. 

I also believe is 2nd chances and people make mistakes, small and big mistakes.

51 pages and counting.

Gael85

Connolly done wrong and very lucky to get away with this. But why is the civil case been discussed on GAA forum??. Connolly scored 1-1 in a county final and no mention of that.

Syferus

Quote from: Gael85 on November 06, 2017, 11:16:46 AM
Connolly done wrong and very lucky to get away with this. But why is the civil case been discussed on GAA forum??. Connolly scored 1-1 in a county final and no mention of that.

You serious?

magpie seanie

Since when did Dublin people get so sensitive? I remember when ye were able to take it as well as give it!

I think the story is newsworthy as it brings into question how sorry he really was. I know he's probably following the advice of his legal team but it come across badly.

I think Connolly is one of the best players I've ever seen and tremendously enjoy watching him play. I've no axe to grind with him and unlike many non-Dubs have no problem with them winning the AI. This isn't a case of anti-Dub bias or me having a go for the laugh.

All that said - perhaps with an ongoing legal case we should limit what is said here. Might be an idea to lock this thread.

Gael85

Quote from: Syferus on November 06, 2017, 01:06:59 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on November 06, 2017, 11:16:46 AM

You serious?

i am serious. The thread has gone completely off topic and some of the stuff has nothing to do with GAA. Is there any moderators on this forum as thread should be closed??

magpie seanie

I'm sure if you report something to them they'll deal with it appropriately.

Gael85

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2017, 02:42:28 PM
I'm sure if you report something to them they'll deal with it appropriately.

I wouldn't have any faith in moderators around here  ;D

Beffs

Quote from: TheGreatest on November 06, 2017, 10:41:39 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2017, 09:46:33 AM

I do, he did wrong, should of done jail time, got lucky, this was resolved in the courts a few years ago, suspended sentence, community service, anger management classes and a payment to the victim. Done. Now Victim wants money from Connolly and McGowan's, this is a civil matter. The criminal case long resolved. 

I also believe is 2nd chances and people make mistakes, small and big mistakes.

51 pages and counting.

Thankfully, I have zero personal experience of violent crime, so my knowledge of how our judicial system treats it would be minimal. But would it be the usual thing for someone to do jail time for a 1am drunken punch up in a pub, where someone gets their jaw broken?

I see a lot of people saying he should have been locked up for a spell, but is it the norm for a first offense? If I was the victim or his family, I'd probably think it should be. I'm no big fan of Connolly, or defending him, but shouldn't he be treated the same as everyone else & not receive a tougher sentence just because of who he is?

Like I said, I'm no expert, nor am I excusing his actions, but if every single bust up outside a chipper or pub, resulted in every single man who threw the first punch, doing serious jail time, we'd need a prison on every single street corner. Let's be honest here.