We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

Quote from: Gael85 on June 07, 2017, 08:11:56 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 06, 2017, 11:26:55 PM
Quote from: blast05 on June 06, 2017, 11:22:35 PM
Put yourself in the linesmans shoes .... you have 3 or 4 players jostling for the ball on the sideline after a kickout. Ball goes over the line. You award the line ball to Carlow but the Dublin guy holds on to the ball and a bit of jostling starts. Then ...you have Diarmuid Connolly screaming at you and pointing his finger, Diarmuid Connolly FFS, you have Carlow sideline and a few thousand people in the stands screaming at you, you know there is a TV camera behind you. Your heart is jumping out of your chest, you're can barely remember what has just happened. OK, calm down, gather your thoughts - what the fcuk just happened there? I don't know .... it was a blur, maybe i got the line ball call wrong given Connollys reaction. Was it much of a reaction ? sure all the Carlow lads were screaming at the same time. Oh fcuk it, let the game run, next time.

After the game....  'ah bolloux, he did put a hand on me, he was screaming in my face. Why the fcuk didn't i take a bit more time to gather my thoughts. Well f**k it. Sean ... come here to see this side line incident on my phone. I think we fcuked up and we should have made a call on it. It needs to go in your report'

Yes, of course i made it all up but this scenario (linesman and ref realizing afterwards as they togged in that they messed up and should have adjudicated on the incident) allows for CCCC intervention as i understand it.

The perhaps more amazing thing from the game is how completely ineffectual Connolly was. 1pt from a 45 with the last kick of the game. 2 pts from play in his last 3 championship games. Its all fine and well Connolly showing his genius when Dublin are hammering some team or other in Leinster, but (and please correct me if i am wrong Dublin folks) he hasn't consistently made a big enough contribution when it counts in the Dublin colours.

Anyway, no one wins in all of this. As a Mayo fan, i'd rather Connolly hadn't done what he done on Saturday but given that he has then, then given his profile and the implications for refs at club level if no punishment, then he has to get the 12 weeks

As a matter of interest and balance, do you find Colm Boyle's reactions to refereeing decisions acceptable? In big games in the past few years I've seen him jumping up and down in front of a referee and roaring in his face and the only punishment he has received is the ball being brought further forward.

Cillian O'Connor is far worse than Boyle for roaring at referees

You're use of the word 'roaring' undermines the point you are trying to make wrt O'Connor. What we do have throughout the GAA is a culture of players pleading their case with the referee. I don't like it and it should be stamped out. There perhaps is room for the captain to take a discussion a la rugby.
What we don't have - thankfully - is a culture of laying hands on the official in a threatening tone/manner and pointing fingers at the ref in an equally threatening tone or manner.

five points

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 06, 2017, 09:56:06 PM

Have Mayo not done the same in recent years? They had Keegan and Kevin Keane's bans overturned when they were clear as day red card offences.

Keane's certainly wasn't. He didn't strike his man.

longballin

Such a crying session about Connolly. Dublin will walk into the All Ireland semi-final. Go and enjoy the summer and learn the lesson.

greatpoint

Connolly thought he spotted a potential contaminant on Brannigan's uniform, he was only looking out for him.

Gael85

Quote from: blast05 on June 07, 2017, 09:32:22 AM
Put yourself in the linesmans shoes .... you have 3 or 4 players jostling for the ball on the sideline after a kickout. Ball goes over the line. You award the line ball to Carlow but the Dublin guy holds on to the ball and a bit of jostling starts. Then ...you have Diarmuid Connolly screaming at you and pointing his finger, Diarmuid Connolly FFS, you have Carlow sideline and a few thousand people in the stands screaming at you, you know there is a TV camera behind you. Your heart is jumping out of your chest, you're can barely remember what has just happened. OK, calm down, gather your thoughts - what the fcuk just happened there? I don't know .... it was a blur, maybe i got the line ball call wrong given Connollys reaction. Was it much of a reaction ? sure all the Carlow lads were screaming at the same time. Oh fcuk it, let the game run, next time.

After the game....  'ah bolloux, he did put a hand on me, he was screaming in my face. Why the fcuk didn't i take a bit more time to gather my thoughts. Well f**k it. Sean ... come here to see this side line incident on my phone. I think we fcuked up and we should have made a call on it. It needs to go in your report'

Yes, of course i made it all up but this scenario (linesman and ref realizing afterwards as they togged in that they messed up and should have adjudicated on the incident) allows for CCCC intervention as i understand it.

The perhaps more amazing thing from the game is how completely ineffectual Connolly was. 1pt from a 45 with the last kick of the game. 2 pts from play in his last 3 championship games. Its all fine and well Connolly showing his genius when Dublin are hammering some team or other in Leinster, but (and please correct me if i am wrong Dublin folks) he hasn't consistently made a big enough contribution when it counts in the Dublin colours.

Anyway, no one wins in all of this. As a Mayo fan, i'd rather Connolly hadn't done what he done on Saturday but given that he has then, then given his profile and the implications for refs at club level if no punishment, then he has to get the 12 weeks

As a matter of interest and balance, do you find Colm Boyle's reactions to refereeing decisions acceptable? In big games in the past few years I've seen him jumping up and down in front of a referee and roaring in his face and the only punishment he has received is the ball being brought further forward.

You're use of the word 'roaring' undermines the point you are trying to make wrt O'Connor. What we do have throughout the GAA is a culture of players pleading their case with the referee. I don't like it and it should be stamped out. There perhaps is room for the captain to take a discussion a la rugby.
What we don't have - thankfully - is a culture of laying hands on the official in a threatening tone/manner and pointing fingers at the ref in an equally threatening tone or manner.

O'Connor has form for abusing officials verbally over the years likewise Donaghy. Always in referee ear or running to a linesman however none of them have done what Connolly done on Saturday.

Gael85

Quote from: longballin on June 07, 2017, 09:46:45 AM
Such a crying session about Connolly. Dublin will walk into the All Ireland semi-final. Go and enjoy the summer and learn the lesson.

Exactly. I'm a Dub. DC deserves to be suspended for 12 weeks. Can't see county board appealing this. Time to be move on.

Gael85

Anyway, no one wins in all of this. As a Mayo fan, i'd rather Connolly hadn't done what he done on Saturday but given that he has, then given his profile and the implications for refs at club level if no punishment, then he has to get the 12 weeks

Diarmuid Connolly has played a big part in our success over the years and has contributed in all big games for Dublin and his club St Vincents. His game is not about scoring 1-5. He is a play maker and his game is roaming around the field getting on the ball setting up scores. When he left panel in 2010 he came back a year later a better and more composed player and become one of the top players in the country. As for the 2 points in 3 games. He had a poor game against Carlow however he done well to score 2 points against Mayo considering he was been well marked/held off the ball, don't forget the winning penalty which showed great bottle. DC knows at this stage he's a marked man so stupid of him to become involved in antics with his markers and worse getting involved with match officials. Connolly showed his genius kicking the insurance point against Kerry last year. Hopefully he will come back a stronger, more mature player and we can talk about his football skills for a change :)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gael85 on June 07, 2017, 10:38:33 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 07, 2017, 09:46:45 AM

Exactly. I'm a Dub. DC deserves to be suspended for 12 weeks. Can't see county board appealing this. Time to be move on.

I think you're right. This will be accepted and Dublin will move on. They don't need Connolly until August anyway (if at all), they'll sail through the games up to that. Appealing a decision involving aggression towards an official would send out the wrong message.....not least to officials. Discretion will be the better part of valour here I'd guess.

Fuzzman

I totally agree magpie & Gael85. Dublin know they can get to the semifinal stage pretty easily without Connolly and so they can take this on the chin. Jim Gavin is always trying to portray this clean Dublin image so it would benefit them more if they take their punishment this time.

At least it is unlikely they will be meeting Mayo in that semi final when he does come back.

Can he still play club football?

mayoaremagic

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 07, 2017, 11:29:44 AM
I totally agree magpie & Gael85. Dublin know they can get to the semifinal stage pretty easily without Connolly and so they can take this on the chin. Jim Gavin is always trying to portray this clean Dublin image so it would benefit them more if they take their punishment this time.

At least it is unlikely they will be meeting Mayo in that semi final when he does come back.

No I think 3 month bans include club action.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: five points on June 07, 2017, 09:46:35 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 06, 2017, 09:56:06 PM

Have Mayo not done the same in recent years? They had Keegan and Kevin Keane's bans overturned when they were clear as day red card offences.

Keane's certainly wasn't. He didn't strike his man.

He clearly did, in the face. It was as blatant a red card as you will see.

Il Bomber Destro

Is roaring in the referees face and aggressively gesticulating and motioning to him after he has made a decision or about to, showing the referee respect?

Mayo are certainly the most guilty county with it comes to attempting to put undue pressure on match officials. It's about time referees clamped down on Cillian O'Connor trying to referee games.

magpie seanie

Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 07, 2017, 12:10:03 PM

To clarify - a suspension for this type of infraction (Category V) applies to all codes and all levels so he couldn't play football or hurling at any level.

mayoaremagic

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 07, 2017, 12:16:32 PM

Is roaring in the referees face and aggressively gesticulating and motioning to him after he has made a decision or about to, showing the referee respect?

Mayo are certainly the most guilty county with it comes to attempting to put undue pressure on match officials. It's about time referees clamped down on Cillian O'Connor trying to referee games.

When did Cillian referee a game? News to me

mayoaremagic

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 07, 2017, 12:27:05 PM
Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 07, 2017, 12:10:03 PM

To clarify - a suspension for this type of infraction (Category V) applies to all codes and all levels so he couldn't play football or hurling at any level.

and banned from training with Dublin too?