2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 06, 2018, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O moore parklife

Quote from: vetoldthe on March 17, 2019, 06:36:20 PM
Taking this line from Giovanni forum

The free taking was abysmal, the tackling was dreadful and the pace and intensity was really low.

This is our big problem all during the league, Why can't Sugrue fix this,

Mother of God this time 2 years ago we were nearing relegation to div 4 not a decent championship run in nearly 10 years. Today we have won 11 of the last 13 leauge games not including finals all be it in div4 and div 3 but its relevant to the present day.
I genuinely believe some people think we are far better than what we are. Let's accept at present we are a competitive div 3 team who are improving. Not even mister Sugrue can make a silk purse from a pigs ear but he is doing a great job.
Let's get behind the players and not heap pressure on them to be a team they might not have the capabilites to be just yet.

Don Draper

High Fielder

I don't see any pressure. I think the players and Sugrue would know if we don't achieve promotion, that we probably should have. Notwithstanding that, nobody will get carried away if we don't. The pressure will more than likely come from within because they will know themselves. It's obvious enough that we have yet to put all of the pieces together, and listening to Sugrue after matches, he has yet to declare himself fully happy. For what it's worth, I believe there's a lot more in the tank, but in an overall context, we're moving forward.

Shocking turnout yesterday by the way. We probably outnumbered Offaly in Tullamore, and that says very little because the crowd was tiny. Both panels deserve so much more than that

Giovanni

I think most people who commented on this match agreed that Laois were better than Offaly. I don't see anyone on here who was "miserable" having won the match.

On the other hand, anyone that was there would not be going home thinking this was a great performance. As HF pointed out, Sugrue himself recognizes this. For what it's worth, I think he's doing a fantastic job. This doesn't mean that every game is always perfect. We're entitled to point out what we think are the weaknesses as well as the strengths.

O moore parklife

Quote from: Giovanni on March 17, 2019, 11:58:51 PM
I think most people who commented on this match agreed that Laois were better than Offaly. I don't see anyone on here who was "miserable" having won the match.

On the other hand, anyone that was there would not be going home thinking this was a great performance. As HF pointed out, Sugrue himself recognizes this. For what it's worth, I think he's doing a fantastic job. This doesn't mean that every game is always perfect. We're entitled to point out what we think are the weaknesses as well as the strengths.
Please tell me how you're ENTITLED to spread your negativity.
Are you over there putting your shoulder to the wheel coaching?
Are you indeed a player?
All above doubtful, we as faceless nameless forum trolls are Entitled to very little bar the minimum duty of backing and being supportive to the men like Sugrue and the players who put their shoulder and name to the wheel.
This includes myself laois abu and thank Christ we are contemplating promotion this week rather than relegation to div 4 as we were 23 months ago

Don Draper

There's not a whole lot worse than a fella who believes he's entitled to something without doing a tap to get it.

High Fielder

I'd say the fact that Giovanni was at the match is proof enough that he supports Sugrue and the team. And the fact that we all put our shoulders to the wheel in some way for Laois GAA entitles us to an opinion. As long as nobody is being victimised, then general discussion about about teams and tactics has been going on for as long as games were being played. If you check back through everyone's posts, you'll see negativity in one way or another. I think it's fairly obvious when someone has overstepped the mark, and this forum rarely does that. As forums go, I would say this one is very tame, despite the odd wind up merchant trying to make it otherwise

Tony

Get over yourselves, lads. Leave your handbags down. Back to talking about the matches. Not a disaster if we don't get promoted, but, it's hard to replicate that "feel good" feeling and positivity going into championship in the camp should we not do so.

Don Draper

Quote from: Giovanni on March 18, 2019, 09:50:30 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on March 18, 2019, 08:07:20 AM
There's not a whole lot worse than a fella who believes he's entitled to something without doing a tap to get it.

You have some neck - there's no doubt about it! Just a couple of days ago you posted that one Laois player was more responsible for our relegation than Offaly were! I think that I'm entitled to post my own reflections on the game without personalizing the criticisms. If you and O Mooreparklife feel so positive about that performance, maybe you can set out a little more clearly what you liked about it and we can have a normal conversation.

I'm not sure how being a player or "putting your shoulder to the wheel" would give me a pass for posting on here. I am not a player any more - I'm in my 50s now so I hope you'll agree that playing is no longer an option for me.   I don't coach a team due to work commitments (I'm out of the country at least 100 days a year). I have supported my home club (and indeed other clubs) with financial donations). I am based in Galway. Despite this, I manage to get to almost every Laois football game and a good few of the hurling games. And yourself? Maybe you can also share your CV showing that you're entitled to wind up genuine Laois posters?
Would you consider washing a few jerseys when you're home?

The Boy Wonder

I would be more of an onlooker/lurker than a regular poster here.
Just some feedback - let's have more insights and opinions from the Giovannis of this forum and less smart alec posts like the above.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Totally agree, I've said it here before, if you ignore smart alec comments the poster usually gives up but reacting to them is exactly what they want and they feed from annoying people. Just ignore them and comment on things that are worth something..

Here is what needs to happen for us to get to the Div.3 final and get promoted:

Laois: We will get promoted if we beat Carlow and if Westmeath lose to Longford
Down: avoid defeat v Louth and they'll go up (superior Head to Head v Westmeath)
Offaly: must beat Sligo and hope Laois beat Carlow to avoid drop.
Carlow: need a draw.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Jd

Are Offaly not on 5 pts and Carlow on 3 with Offaly willing in Carlow meaning they have a better head to head and will stay up no matter what ?? I think Laois will go up with a shock for Westmeath in Longford (I hope)

Don Draper

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on March 19, 2019, 11:57:50 PM
I would be more of an onlooker/lurker than a regular poster here.
Just some feedback - let's have more insights and opinions from the Giovannis of this forum and less smart alec posts like the above.
Some great posters here, but it's this sense of entitlement that grates. Players are working their bollocks off, they don't need it. Entitlement is an awful affliction in this world.

High Fielder

I don't see any entitlement. I see a realistic expectation of our ability. We imploded against Louth and were outfought up in Mullingar. On both occasions, Sugrue was damning enough about our performances. It's not a stretch at all to have us as one of the best teams in the Division (we beat Down after all) so I have no idea where o moore parklife's outburst actually came from. It's Division 3 after all. f**k it if we can't be bullish about Division 3, it's time to fold up the tent

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on March 20, 2019, 10:58:06 AM
I don't see any entitlement. I see a realistic expectation of our ability. We imploded against Louth and were outfought up in Mullingar. On both occasions, Sugrue was damning enough about our performances. It's not a stretch at all to have us as one of the best teams in the Division (we beat Down after all) so I have no idea where o moore parklife's outburst actually came from. It's Division 3 after all. f**k it if we can't be bullish about Division 3, it's time to fold up the tent
I wasn't the person who first used the word entitlement. Be bullish all you like, I'm all for a bit of that, but don't tell me anyone is entitled to anything from these players other than honest effort and desire. The sacrifices involved in being an intercounty player have gone beyond the pale, its a credit to any man who puts himself up for the process in this day and age for f**k all reward.