Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: BigFatFan on May 16, 2018, 02:10:50 PM
Gavin McGilly walked from Moy apparently. Any truth to the rumour? If so, who will step up?

Heard this also. RTE and non availability of certain players at the weekend apparently, they haven't fielded in a good few reserve games. Division 2 awaits.

Tyrone Gaa

Checked this out and apparently it's true. McGilly is now a free agent and the Moy are sitting bottom of Division 1 without a manager.  Think it's more than last weekend but you can't imagine in a starred fixture to lose Sean Cavanagh to RTE was a positive for him and the club. Looks like there only going one direction ⬇️
Living the dream!!!

Taylor

The problems arose before the season even started given the numbers and lack of commitment at training.
A long season instore

tiempo

Quote from: Under Lights on May 16, 2018, 01:20:37 PM
What's the whole insurance debate thing about really, if there was a recreational club just treat it like the Cookstown Street League or whatever, you don't worry about insurance with playing a bit of indoor with your mates. How does the competion that Galbally run every year work like.

Insurance would be an issue and there would be a number of ways to address it. You'll find in England that the RFU have oversight of the touch game, they have fantastic structure, not perfect I'm sure but plenty the GAA could take on board and vice versa with some GAA best practice. If no oversight by GAA then your registration and player injury scheme (which is pish anyway) isn't valid as not official "competitions". I would imagine the RFU use a portion of the entry fee to temporarily register the participants in some form and cover them on a low grade generic scheme, in effect you wouldn't need to be a member of the GAA or a club to play and you could enter as a group of friends without paying affiliation etc. An absolute minefield in terms of the Official Guide at present, in simple terms impossible given the constraints, but nothing that can't be overcome with one simple motion at congress to allow for this level of social participation under a specific set of guidelines/rules.

themac_23

In South Antrim (mostly the belfast clubs) we have a south antrim league. its pretty much recreational football, played every thursday night. 15 a side if both teams have 15 if 1 team has 13 then 13 a side is played. works great, clubs grade 15 players who can't play. its always a good mix of older lads in their late 30s early 40s and some lads who need game time and also some lads who just dont wanna commit to senior or senior reserve. i think there are 12 teams in the league and there are very few fail to field. also have a championship for it. As its pretty much all belfast teams there is very little travelling which probably helps a lot too.

Wee Roddy

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 15, 2018, 03:09:32 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on May 15, 2018, 02:12:23 PM

Errigal have the biggest pick of any club in Tyrone?

I'd say Omagh would run them close. Coalisland at stages can have up to 50 men out from what they tell me. Carrickmore used to be in this debate but men at that club could tell you better - think there was a football/hurling split some years ago caused a bit of bother. Don't think anyone else really gets close? Maybe Dromore?
Can't ever remember a fall out between the footballers and hurls in the past few years in fact it is probably stronger than ever now. Carmen had a thirds team for a couple of years but I think it was all older lads or very young. The older boys didn't want to train

Ty4Sam

Anyone know if Club Championship draw is on tonight?

WeeDonns

Quote from: themac_23 on May 16, 2018, 05:01:41 PM
In South Antrim (mostly the belfast clubs) we have a south antrim league. its pretty much recreational football, played every thursday night. 15 a side if both teams have 15 if 1 team has 13 then 13 a side is played. works great, clubs grade 15 players who can't play. its always a good mix of older lads in their late 30s early 40s and some lads who need game time and also some lads who just dont wanna commit to senior or senior reserve. i think there are 12 teams in the league and there are very few fail to field. also have a championship for it. As its pretty much all belfast teams there is very little travelling which probably helps a lot too.
When I lived in Belfast my housemate played for St.Brigids in this league. It looked like good craic and to be honest was a little tempting to someone driving up & down the road to train/play Division 3 Reserves at home.
It's a good way to keep people involved in the club who can't commit to the Tuesday, Friday, Sunday commitments of most teams. (That said; Football is more enjoyable when you're in good shape as already pointed out)
Keeping people involved after they stop playing competitively means more volunteers, more revenue and a stronger club community.

Insurance issues can be worked out I'm sure. Much the same as entering a 5-a-side competition with your mates

The main drawback of such a competition would be that it would be more attractive to some current Reserve players & could affect numbers in that league.

Anyway, less of this day dreaming...

GJL

Quote from: bigtogs on May 15, 2018, 05:02:26 PM

I would say so They take in 2 parish's, my Club Clonoe are in Clonoe Parish with Brockagh,Derrylaughan and Derrytresk!!

Tell me more about these 2 Parishes?

Under Lights

Club Championship draw, that was due to be tonight, has been postponed on request of the county senior management.

More To Follow...

laceer

Quote from: Under Lights on May 17, 2018, 01:08:17 PM
Club Championship draw, that was due to be tonight, has been postponed on request of the county senior management.

More To Follow...

Looking forward to hearing the explanation for this in a prompt and truthful manner.

ThreeStones

Was there not talk the Club Championship Draw was put back to the first week in June, to give the new Sponsor LCC a standalone launch night for publicity etc rather than lump it in with Tyrone team announcement.
Think that makes sense to be fair.

BIGONE

Quote from: bigtogs on May 15, 2018, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: Delegater on May 15, 2018, 05:24:48 PM
Quote from: bigtogs on May 15, 2018, 05:02:26 PM

I would say so They take in 2 parish's, my Club Clonoe are in Clonoe Parish with Brockagh,Derrylaughan and Derrytresk!!

Poor Clonoe!!! Many a parish has two or more clubs.

Not as if the Clonoe tentacles arent stuck in every junior club within five miles.

We had one Senior player transferred to us from Derrytesk from 1990 no one from any other Club,so i am unsure what you mean...

Hughes' from Killyman?

laceer

Quote from: ThreeStones on May 17, 2018, 01:51:06 PM
Was there not talk the Club Championship Draw was put back to the first week in June, to give the new Sponsor LCC a standalone launch night for publicity etc rather than lump it in with Tyrone team announcement.

That'd be fair enough.

Where'd you see this Under Lights?

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: laceer on May 17, 2018, 02:14:48 PM
Quote from: ThreeStones on May 17, 2018, 01:51:06 PM

That'd be fair enough.

Where'd you see this Under Lights?

They said at a recent meeting in Garvaghy that the draw would take place after the Tyrone/Monaghan game!