Sam odds 2024

Started by seafoid, November 06, 2023, 05:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God14

Mickey might not have a choice on his line up in the forthcoming mckenna cup, IF Glen footballers & Slaughtneil hurlers are still motoring well he wont have access to them
Long term injury to the keeper as well

Estimator

Quote from: God14 on November 08, 2023, 02:31:52 PMMickey might not have a choice on his line up in the forthcoming mckenna cup, IF Glen footballers & Slaughtneil hurlers are still motoring well he wont have access to them
Long term injury to the keeper as well

Just look at the team line ups from last years McKenna Cup final.
Derry were missing the three Glen lads, and McKaigue was suspended, otherwise they were full out. 14 of the starting line up that night got on to the field at some stage of the AI semi v Kerry.
Whereas only half the starting Tyrone team actually played against Kerry. Though some of their main men were on the bench in the McKenna Final and D Canavan was injured.

Derry will probably go all out again. Though new blood is definitely required. There have been very few changes on the Derry starting XV in the last two years, and that needs to develop.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Cunny Funt

Quote from: NotedObserver on November 08, 2023, 01:20:39 PMIf Galway get all their players fit they are a formidable outfit and apart from Kerry/Dublin they are well out in front of the rest of the chasing pack

Galway are part of chasing pack that would be aiming to reach the last 4 in 2024 and might reach the final if they avoid Kerry,Dublin in the semi final. They rely on keeping Shane Walsh and Comer fit and in form. That will be easier said that done with Walsh to get little or no rest before Galway's season starts and Comer gets injured a lot.

full moon

It's going to be Dublin again and probably Kerry final. Media continue to try and convince people otherwise but it's like Man City in the Premier League now, it's not competitive and boring for the most part. And that's before we talk about the style of football.

Armagh18

Quote from: full moon on November 09, 2023, 02:44:33 PMIt's going to be Dublin again and probably Kerry final. Media continue to try and convince people otherwise but it's like Man City in the Premier League now, it's not competitive and boring for the most part. And that's before we talk about the style of football.
Yeah very unlikely either are beat before a final unless they meet in semi.

lurganblue

Any sign of a few retirements from that Dublin squad  ;D

seafoid

Kerry missed David Moran and Clifford looked knackered in the All Ireland Final. They have been on the go a while.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

SouthOfThe Bann

What are the parallels between this Donegal squad and the Donegal squad of 2011 when Jim first took over.

Were Rory Kavanagh, Neil Gallagher, the Mcgees, Karl Lacey, Mcfadden etc. highly rated and underperforming or did Jim just transform these players.

Obviously Murphy would have been talked about massively as a 'wonderkid' to use the soccer term, after getting Donegal to U21 Final and his performance against Cork I think it was.

When I look at this current Donegal squad if they have everyone available I'd argue they have as much if not more talent than the squad of 2011, more depth anyway. Which is why I have hopes that Donegal has similar scope for improvement with this squad as the one in 2011.

But would love to hear peoples thoughts on this?

JoG2

Quote from: full moon on November 09, 2023, 02:44:33 PMIt's going to be Dublin again and probably Kerry final. Media continue to try and convince people otherwise but it's like Man City in the Premier League now, it's not competitive and boring for the most part. And that's before we talk about the style of football.

Which papers / journalists are saying it will be a county other than the big 2 winning Sam?

J70

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on November 10, 2023, 09:40:37 AMWhat are the parallels between this Donegal squad and the Donegal squad of 2011 when Jim first took over.

Were Rory Kavanagh, Neil Gallagher, the Mcgees, Karl Lacey, Mcfadden etc. highly rated and underperforming or did Jim just transform these players.

Obviously Murphy would have been talked about massively as a 'wonderkid' to use the soccer term, after getting Donegal to U21 Final and his performance against Cork I think it was.

When I look at this current Donegal squad if they have everyone available I'd argue they have as much if not more talent than the squad of 2011, more depth anyway. Which is why I have hopes that Donegal has similar scope for improvement with this squad as the one in 2011.

Karl Lacey already had two All Stars and only Keith Higgins would have come close to him as a corner back. Ironically, McGuinness transformed him into a play-making centre back.

The likes of Cassidy, Kavanagh, the McGees and McFadden all had great ability, but the commitment, team game plan and the resulting consistency just wasn't there.

I'm very skeptical that we have the same ceiling with the current squad.

Lacey was a generational talent. The likes of Murphy come on the scene even less frequently. Those two alone are probably among the three greatest ever players ever to come out of the county. There's no one there now to even approach their level.

I'd have great hopes for Oisin Gallen, who has the size, ball-winning and shooting ability to be a top intercounty forward, provided he can finally avoid these injuries that have continually held him back. Any maybe McGuinness will get the likes of Michael Langan and Ciaran Thompson playing to a consistent level where we can be confident they'll put their size, skill and shooting to use every game and leave the inconsistency behind. Brendan McCole looks very promising at full back, but he has a way to go yet to match Neil McGee. And are the supporting cast up to the levels of the likes of Mark McHugh, Frank Mc Glynn, Leo McLoone and Anthony Thompson? I don't know...

McBrearty will be interesting to watch in terms of what McGuinness does with him. Ryan McHugh too. 

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: J70 on November 10, 2023, 01:29:16 PM
Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on November 10, 2023, 09:40:37 AMWhat are the parallels between this Donegal squad and the Donegal squad of 2011 when Jim first took over.

Karl Lacey already had two All Stars and only Keith Higgins would have come close to him as a corner back. Ironically, McGuinness transformed him into a play-making centre back.

The likes of Cassidy, Kavanagh, the McGees and McFadden all had great ability, but the commitment, team game plan and the resulting consistency just wasn't there.

Lacey was a generational talent. The likes of Murphy come on the scene even less frequently. Those two alone are probably among the three greatest ever players ever to come out of the county. There's no one there now to even approach their level.

I'd have great hopes for Oisin Gallen, who has the size, ball-winning and shooting ability to be a top intercounty forward, provided he can finally avoid these injuries that have continually held him back. Any maybe McGuinness will get the likes of Michael Langan and Ciaran Thompson playing to a consistent level where we can be confident they'll put their size, skill and shooting to use every game and leave the inconsistency behind. Brendan McCole looks very promising at full back, but he has a way to go yet to match Neil McGee. And are the supporting cast up to the levels of the likes of Mark McHugh, Frank Mc Glynn, Leo McLoone and Anthony Thompson? I don't know...

McBrearty will be interesting to watch in terms of what McGuinness does with him. Ryan McHugh too. 

Still a lot of quality in that current Donegal forward line though. Mcbrearty, Gallen, Brennan, Langan, Thompson, O'Donnell, Mogan.

Big men round the middle in Mcgee, McFadden, McGonggle.

Likes of Ryan Mchugh, Eoghan Ban, McMenamin, McFadden Ferry in defence theres plenty of options there.

I presume theres no persuading Murphy and McNiallis back?

seafoid

The McHughs are like the Donnellans in Galway. Multi generational talents capable of leadiq
ng the county to All Irelands.

Hopefully Máirtín Beag has passed on the baton of never having to pay for his dinner in Manhattan.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tbrick18

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on November 10, 2023, 02:06:46 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 10, 2023, 01:29:16 PM

Still a lot of quality in that current Donegal forward line though. Mcbrearty, Gallen, Brennan, Langan, Thompson, O'Donnell, Mogan.

Big men round the middle in Mcgee, McFadden, McGonggle.

Likes of Ryan Mchugh, Eoghan Ban, McMenamin, McFadden Ferry in defence theres plenty of options there.

I presume theres no persuading Murphy and McNiallis back?

I honestly think Donegal are not too far away in Ulster.
They improved massively under O'Rourke and Bradley last year. With McGuinness in there now, I'd expect them to progress more.
They are physically very big and have a some excellent players. McBrearty is passed his best but still can find scores. Keep Gallen fit, that's a potent enough forward line.
I'd expect Donegal to become much better defensively than in recent times too.
A real hum-dinger of a first round game with Derry v Donegal (Harte v McGuinness).
It could well be the pick of the first round games up and down the country.

An Watcher

Derry are the bet now.  I'm guessing they'll take the league seriously and so those odds will probably shorten by the time the championship comes around

Eire90

yes it will probably be Dublin or Kerry again and the media will try and spin a narrative to  get people to care i  think if its a Dublin or Kerry final a lot will boycott it  and it will be limerick in hurling media will keep yapping on about 5 in a row to try and make it interesting it when most people do not care.