GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/storey-says-knockout-all-ireland-might-be-only-viable-plan-for-gaa-1.4210220

"Teams might have to play twice a week, depending on what schedule is there," he said. "That will suit the stronger counties but it might be either that or nothing.

"The GAA has always been a bit too tied to Sunday games anyhow, in my opinion. What's wrong with Wexford and Kilkenny meeting on a Wednesday evening? Or a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday evening? It's only in people's heads through tradition that it has be on the weekends.

"People will argue that players work but sure club leagues and county challenge games are played on midweek evenings all the time. I think players are professional enough that they could hack it, particularly in the circumstances we're in. Let's be honest, if it's Plan A, B or C, everyone will be only too delighted to accept whatever is going if it means games can be played."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eire90

i am big fan of friday night games

Eire90

they could do a 16 team all ireland with a round 2a and 2b so every team gets two games at least and do the same with the  Tailteann Cup but id prefer a 32 open draw knockout gives smaller counties hope or as someone else said they could seed division 1 and 2 teams but they play a division 3 or 4 teams away in 1st round.The provincial councils will complain tho so there no way i see their being a open national tournament.

Blowitupref

All Ireland championship opener London v Roscommon that was set for May 2nd is now postponed. According to HQ A mid June championship start is talked about but too soon to speculate yet.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Watcher

I think this is a great opportunity to have an open draw all Ireland. No provincial championship, no seedings, no home or away, nothing.
First round could be tyrone v dublin and London v Waterford.  Great craic altogether

bannside

Exactly An Watcher what better year could there be to trial something like that. Plus play to the death on the night,  extra time, if still a draw first team to score!

You know what the biggest obstacle will be.....the provincial boards who would hate to lose their "presigious" competition s and the revenue that generates. Surely away could be found to compensate the provincial boards, some form of revenue share.

Need to get the county stuff over asap so that club scene can start.

seafoid

Quote from: An Watcher on March 26, 2020, 01:42:54 PM
I think this is a great opportunity to have an open draw all Ireland. No provincial championship, no seedings, no home or away, nothing.
First round could be tyrone v dublin and London v Waterford.  Great craic altogether
There would be no finding your best team in the qualifiers . Best team out every day. It would be more interesting and then if the Dubs got dumped out in a shock second round match...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

themac_23

The more I think about it the better it sounds, just go for it straight knockout, as someone said every game finished on the day, even if we have to limit crowds to say 500 for early games make all games live on tv and free to air, every sat and Sunday games on back to back hurling/football be a great summers craic to lighten the mood

Rossfan

God Bless ye're innocence.
Anyway London v Roscommon is off - either cancelled or postponed.
I suspect it will be the former with that and the NY/Galway games to take place in 2021.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

dont see it happening they wont want a kerry v dublin scenario in 1st or 2nd round they willl go provincial knockout system i think thats the best way of getting dublin into the semis without a massive upset in lesinster and kerry should come through munster and say tyrone wins ulster and mayo wins connaght thats tyrone mayo dublin kerry semi finals.

Eire90

Also they be afraid of a open knockout being a success

marty34

Quote from: Eire90 on March 26, 2020, 10:21:24 PM

If it happens, surely they'll be sell out games - even in the first round, due to lack of action.

An Watcher

Imagine the interest from the lesser teams thinking if the draw is kind they could have a long summer for once

BennyCake

Quote from: Eire90 on March 26, 2020, 10:21:24 PM

HQ will abandon the championship rather than do an open draw. They can't be straying from their tier 2 agenda

Quote from: An Watcher on March 26, 2020, 10:29:48 PM
Imagine the interest from the lesser teams thinking if the draw is kind they could have a long summer for once

Yes. If you had that scenario, there'd definitely be more support to scrap this tier 2 bollix.