skinny black ties??!!

Started by kinghen, July 07, 2008, 01:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinghen

goin to a "black tie" event tonight but i absolutely detest wearing a bow-tie, whats peoples opinion on wearing a skinny black tie with a black suit, or does anyone know where i can get a decent SBT??

(womens opinion would be valued!)

achadh gallain

AZOffaly

Quote from: kinghen on July 07, 2008, 01:20:20 PM
goin to a "black tie" event tonight but i absolutely detest wearing a bow-tie, whats peoples opinion on wearing a skinny black tie with a black suit, or does anyone know where i can get a decent SBT??

(womens opinion would be valued!)

Unless you are in the 'Blues Brothers' then no way. Bow tie all the way.

achadh gallain

Na I think arthur likes hen... But he's bein very suspicious, I would say it has to do with the woman being in the irish news the other day!!

Onion Bag

Wear the bow tie until the dinner is over and then stick it in your pocket, i hate wearing them myself, but them skinny black ties look like f**k all, 
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

heganboy

Strongly disagree with above posts-  a plain black tie is absolutely fine for a black tie event, unless you're in a right sharp suit and in good shape, I'd avoid the skinny tie, easier to go with the big fat "premiership footballer" number, which works fine when you're a fat bloke like me...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

downgirl

IMO bow tie looks way better, lovely to see a fella dressed up in a suit and bow tie, a skinny black tie just isnt the same!  Is it an event you have a date for?  If so you could match the colour of the bow tie to her dress rather than just having plain black!

AZOffaly

Quote from: heganboy on July 07, 2008, 03:56:44 PM
Strongly disagree with above posts-  a plain black tie is absolutely fine for a black tie event, unless you're in a right sharp suit and in good shape, I'd avoid the skinny tie, easier to go with the big fat "premiership footballer" number, which works fine when you're a fat bloke like me...

A black tie is fine, but not a 'skinny' black tie. I prefer bow-ties anyway, for formal dinners like that, but avoid the skinny tie at all costs.

Rois

Quote from: downgirl on July 07, 2008, 03:58:06 PM
I  Is it an event you have a date for?  If so you could match the colour of the bow tie to her dress rather than just having plain black!

Eh, slightly tacky there downgirl, dontcha think?  It worked when I was going to a school formal, not so sure in adult life...

Definately not the skinny tie, you may as well stick on a pair of flourescent socks and complete the 80s look.  I don't think you'll fit in with the theme of the black tie event and you'll just feel uncomfortable.  Fat black tie, maybe.  Just wear the bow tie.

Onion Bag

I was going to say the pink birthday suit
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

downgirl

Quote from: Rois on July 07, 2008, 04:08:14 PM
Quote from: downgirl on July 07, 2008, 03:58:06 PM
I  Is it an event you have a date for?  If so you could match the colour of the bow tie to her dress rather than just having plain black!

Eh, slightly tacky there downgirl, dontcha think?  It worked when I was going to a school formal, not so sure in adult life...

Definately not the skinny tie, you may as well stick on a pair of flourescent socks and complete the 80s look.  I don't think you'll fit in with the theme of the black tie event and you'll just feel uncomfortable.  Fat black tie, maybe.  Just wear the bow tie.

It was only a thought like!!

nic

Totally disagree- think the skinny black ties look cool as.  All the rage in topman.
Bow ties are alright for the older man

The Real Laoislad

Stay away from the bow-tie...Fat black tie all the way
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

nic

Just cause you live in checked shirts tucked into stone washed jeans Hardstation

A fat black tie is worse than a bow tie- i watch Gok- i know these things!!! :D