The Masonic Lodge and The Knights are they linked?

Started by thegael, April 24, 2007, 03:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diet Coke

Quote from: Roger on May 01, 2009, 09:57:01 AM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 30, 2009, 08:32:22 PM
First of all, you have no idea about freemasonry if you believe that the Orange Order aren't very much a part of it, so too with the Black Perceptory Order and there are others...
What others?

I have no doubt that there are members of the Orange and the Black who are members of the Masons.  However, there is no link other than that membership would overlap but Masonry membership would overlap with many many other organisations across this planet. 

The OO was set up after the Masons and as a fraternal society would probably have been influenced by what the Masons do e.g. degree process, lodge meeting style, the apron members of the Black wears etc.  However there has historically been resistence within the OO to too much influence from the Masons e.g. the Royal Arch Purple degree in the Orange was seen as too Masonic and ritualistic and it wasn't brought in for some time to the OO. Think it was back in the early 1900s when it was officially introduced.   

There are people in Ireland and throughout the world who like these types of fraternal organisation however just because a membership may overlap, or some bits of one may influence the develop of another, it doesn't mean that they are the same. 

Without providing any evidence, saying that the 'OO is part of Freemasonry' is reckless, misleading and seemingly inaccurate.

Careful now Roger, you are crossing swords with "Hero Members" ;)
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

nifan

Quotethe Royal Arch Purple degree in the Orange

I never understood what the feck all this degree nonsense is about?
Is it like a level you achieve by passing some test or something?

Sounds like scientology to me.

Roger

Quote from: nifan on May 01, 2009, 10:29:43 AM

It's sort of like that.  You are expected to endeavour to do these things but it's not essential and those that wish to achieve higher status do more degrees.   I can only liken it to the scouts (was a member as a kid) where eventually you get stripes and awards for doing badge work and stuff. However in these adult orders you keep quiet about what you did to get the award.  It mightn't be for you or I but it seems some people like these things and it used to be a lot bigger.  Prior to more disposable income, transport, telly, internet etc the lodge meeting was probably the highlight of the month. Each to their own.

nifan

QuoteYou are expected to endeavour to do these things

Yes, but what do you have to do to achieve them?

Like you ive no problem with what people enjoy doing in their own time, though I am wary of any secret memberships with a reputation for looking out for their own in terms of jobs etc. be it the OO or the Masons, though Im unsure how fair or unfair it is to compare motivation behind the 2 clubs.

Roger

Quote from: nifan on May 01, 2009, 11:31:16 AM
QuoteYou are expected to endeavour to do these things

Yes, but what do you have to do to achieve them?
As I said, I don't think it's essential however the initiation in both gets the first degree.

QuoteLike you ive no problem with what people enjoy doing in their own time, though I am wary of any secret memberships with a reputation for looking out for their own in terms of jobs etc. be it the OO or the Masons, though Im unsure how fair or unfair it is to compare motivation behind the 2 clubs.
I don't find them secretive at all except what their "badgework" involves.  All clubs, societies, families, networks etc look out for each other.  I have no problem with that at all.  The only problem comes when one group becomes highly exclusive, powerful and takes over to the unfair detriment of others. I don't think there are any really to worry too much about these days.  Certainly the objectives of Freemasonry is not of worry to general society anywhere; the danger would only come if some within it abused their position.

nifan

Had a quick look around freemasons
One site comments:
several well-known United Irishmen including Henry Joy McCracken, Henry Monroe, and Archibald Hamilton Rowan

I also saw some that say Daniel O'Connell was a free mason until the catholic church condemned it.

No idea how accurate these claims are.

Roger

Quote from: nifan on May 01, 2009, 12:41:05 PM
Had a quick look around freemasons
One site comments:
several well-known United Irishmen including Henry Joy McCracken, Henry Monroe, and Archibald Hamilton Rowan

I also saw some that say Daniel O'Connell was a free mason until the catholic church condemned it.

No idea how accurate these claims are.
Leading United Irishmen, William Drennan was an active Mason.  It is said he influenced and shaped the United Irishmen with others in Masonic fashion and that is why it was called the brotherhood.  O'Connell was a very active Mason until the Catholic Church started to denounce it but apparently he had been inactive for some time and might have even been expelled / resigned from the Masons.

MW

Ass about face, old son, you should've gone to a proper university ;)

Traditionally, you were 'admitted to the degree' of Bachelor of Arts, or the higher degree of Master of Arts, etc. In at least some of the 'ancient' universities, that's still how degree ceremonies function in theory* - you're being admitted to the degree, not being "awarded a degree". The concept of "a degree" as something that is awarded, is a bit of an evolutionary mutation of the term, due to how universities have developed over the centuries.

A "degree" is a class of membership, in the original sense of the term, so I'd imagine this is how it works in the Masons or the Loyal Orders. 

*Latin oaths and all!

Incidentally, myself and a mate once went into a Scientology centre in New York - laughable garbage, but that's another thead...

nifan

Quote from: MW on May 02, 2009, 12:45:12 AM
Ass about face, old son, you should've gone to a proper university ;)

Touché  ;)

Rossfan

Probably depends on how much hatred you can spew on Catholics/Catholicism without stopping for breath  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on April 30, 2009, 03:38:09 PM
I would have to agree with Roger-the masons have been in decline for years in the north. My Father in law is one and to this end I had lunch with him a few years ago in rosemary st (think that building is closed now) lovely food by the way. I do not know what they get up at thier meeting but they do organise charity events BBQ's that kind of thing. From what I gather most of them would be very old my father in law is in his early 60's and would be one of the younger ones. I don't think that they have issues with the Catholic church as he attended my kids christening no problem. They have no links with the OO-my father in law detests them however yuo can be in both 

Is Rosemary St the place near the entrance to Victoria Square?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

KCGaelicFootball

Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2009, 12:18:06 PM

Probably depends on how much hatred you can spew on Catholics/Catholicism without stopping for breath  ;)

Bastards !!!
ta se mor

Roger

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 04, 2009, 01:04:29 PM
I would have to agree with Roger-the masons have been in decline for years in the north. My Father in law is one and to this end I had lunch with him a few years ago in rosemary st (think that building is closed now) lovely food by the way. I do not know what they get up at thier meeting but they do organise charity events BBQ's that kind of thing. From what I gather most of them would be very old my father in law is in his early 60's and would be one of the younger ones. I don't think that they have issues with the Catholic church as he attended my kids christening no problem. They have no links with the OO-my father in law detests them however yuo can be in both 

Runs between Royal Avenue and North Street.  Landark near it would be Delaney's cafe / restuarant.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Boolerhead Mel

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 04, 2009, 01:04:29 PM

No the rest of them have pinpointed it-can't miss it-talking of the 3 C's-anybody been in it have walked past often enough is the drink cheap?
Some boys in our place are avoiding the usual hunts and heading to the busmens club for a pint as it is a lot cheaper than the pubS?