The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: whitey on February 28, 2020, 04:00:54 PM
I never told you guys about my friend who was on vacation in London-when his mother in Law fell and broker her hip. They're all pretty left leaning and we're singing the praises of the care she received under the NHS

That is until they arrived back in Boston and went to the doctor. Well the "free" surgery was a dogs dinner and whole thing had to be undone and redone. The poor woman hasn't been right since

Was it really though?? How do we know her local doctor wasn't pissed off he missed out on the big payday so told them he had to redo it at 7 times the cost?

Averages smaverages

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on February 28, 2020, 04:11:15 PM
I never told you guys about my friend who was on vacation in London-when his mother in Law fell and broker her hip. They're all pretty left leaning and we're singing the praises of the care she received under the NHS

That is until they arrived back in Boston and went to the doctor. Well the "free" surgery was a dogs dinner and whole thing had to be undone and redone. The poor woman hasn't been right since

Was it really though?? How do we know her local doctor wasn't pissed off he missed out on the big payday so told them he had to redo it at 7 times the cost?

Averages smaverages

LOL

She was crippled with pain and couldn't walk.

So now you're suggesting that one of the pre-eminent orthopedic surgeons in Boston would put an 80 year old through an unnecessary surgery to run up a bill.....don't think so, but believe what you want

Gmac

Averages smaverages
i read that nurses are going to start doing some surgeries in the uk now to try lessen the burden on doctors , maybe she got one of them .

whitey

Quote from: Gmac on February 28, 2020, 04:26:43 PM

Averages smaverages
i read that nurses are going to start doing some surgeries in the uk now to try lessen the burden on doctors , maybe she got one of them .

Maybe this buck did the surgery

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/clueless-doctor-tried-to-take-blood-from-patient-with-scalpel-29837569.html

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on February 28, 2020, 10:13:01 AM
LOL-you still don't get it

If you're making the average or median wage, you're either getting it free or getting it heavily subsidized. That's how poor your benchmark is

Averages mean absolutely nothing over here because of the enormous disparities that exist

As I have shown you a husband and wife (teacher/prison guard) in MA will be pulling in $150-200K and have excellent coverage and access to the best doctors in the world

The system is completely screwed up and is unsustainable, but most people with employer based coverage  are quite happy because they have great coverage

Go back to statistics class. The median is by far a better measure than the mean because it is less skewed by outliers.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Gmac on February 28, 2020, 03:58:11 PM
Quote from: five points on February 28, 2020, 03:50:21 PM
The average American has one testicle.
thats only in a certain lower Manhattan neighborhood .

Homophobia .... nice

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on February 28, 2020, 01:19:43 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 28, 2020, 11:49:41 AM
Quote from: whitey on February 28, 2020, 11:15:21 AM
But it's still 10000000 better than the "free" healthcare you have in Ireland and the UK

The stats on life expectancy, infant mortality etc indicate its clearly not.
Then you factor in the additional money being pumped into the US system and that performance comparison looks even worse.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/u-s-life-expectancy-compare-countries/#item-le_total-life-expectancy-at-birth-in-years-1980-2017_dec-2019-update

https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/resource/infant-and-neonatal-mortality

You can see in both the above, that the UK & Ireland are far from perfect - but both are significantly better than the US.

LOL-believe whatever you want. Averages mean absolutely nothing in a country with such regional disparities.

On a side note, I had almost an hour long conversation with this gentleman last year

https://www.bidmc.org/research/research-by-department/medicine/gastroenterology/research-teams/lamont-lab

Many of Irelands best (Gastro) consultants spent their residency in Harvard trained under this guy

He speaks to these guys several times a year at conferences and would vehemently disagree with your comparisons between the health systems  and is abhorrent at the prospect of socialized medicine.

But of course , you know better than him because you were able to google some articles with average statistics that are meaningless

Congratulations

Argumentum ad verecundiam

Eamonnca1

No wonder you hate data so much. You have an unverified anecdote for everything.

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 28, 2020, 04:46:25 PM

No wonder you hate data so much. You have an unverified anecdote for everything.

It actually happened, as did the conversation with the Harvard professor.

Gmac

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 28, 2020, 04:44:23 PM

Homophobia .... nice
?? His username? Smarten up kid.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

five points

Quote from: Gmac on February 28, 2020, 04:58:18 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 28, 2020, 04:44:23 PM

Homophobia .... nice
?? His username? Smarten up kid.

Doesn't take too much these for someone to call "homophobia!". Somebody missed the obvious point that half of Americans have no testicles at all...

whitey

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 28, 2020, 05:13:58 PM
Doesn't looks it's Bernie's year.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/20/democratic-convention-bernie-sanders-superdelegates-nominee

I've seen it said in Twitter that if he wins the "popular" vote in the primaries there's no way they can deny him.

J70

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/20/democratic-convention-bernie-sanders-superdelegates-nominee

He knew the score beforehand.

And he is as free as everyone else is to try to woo both pledged AND superdelegates after the first round.

In reality, I would think if he is close to a majority of pledged delegates, he'll win it on the second go.

If he is at 30% or something, then I'd imagine they'll coalesce around one of the more moderate candidates.

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 28, 2020, 05:43:43 PM

I've seen it said in Twitter that if he wins the "popular" vote in the primaries there's no way they can deny him.

What does "win the popular vote" mean?

A majority? Or just the most.

Unless its the former or close to it, forget it.