Football Qualifiers 2014

Started by blanketattack, May 20, 2014, 11:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 25, 2014, 12:10:14 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 24, 2014, 11:52:42 PM
So if Kildare manage to get to a Leinster final and lose they face a f**k hard last 12 game and if they win that they face a 50/50 chance of playing Dublin again. I despair I really do.

It's a ball of shite. Adds absolutely nothing to the qualifier system  Where did this idea come from? Anyone aware of who raised the motion at congress? Was the FRC involved?
Was proposed by CC and passed by the Delegates at 2013 Congress. Was reported in all the media at the time.
I often wonder do GAA people ever read papers or listen to radio/tv  or take anything in? ( This doesn't seem to apply to the more intelligent Connacht posters who are always well clued in - even Syfín and Larryin))
Go to a lot of threads here and there are always daft questions about when did that come in, who passed that etc, not to mention " there's no game on tv this weekend".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2014, 10:26:44 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 25, 2014, 12:10:14 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 24, 2014, 11:52:42 PM
So if Kildare manage to get to a Leinster final and lose they face a f**k hard last 12 game and if they win that they face a 50/50 chance of playing Dublin again. I despair I really do.

It's a ball of shite. Adds absolutely nothing to the qualifier system  Where did this idea come from? Anyone aware of who raised the motion at congress? Was the FRC involved?
Was proposed by CC and passed by the Delegates at 2013 Congress. Was reported in all the media at the time.
I often wonder do GAA people ever read papers or listen to radio/tv  or take anything in? ( This doesn't seem to apply to the more intelligent Connacht posters who are always well clued in - even Syfín and Larryin))
Go to a lot of threads here and there are always daft questions about when did that come in, who passed that etc, not to mention " there's no game on tv this weekend".

Aware of the change and the theory at the time but looking at it in isolation for this season, it's a load of bollix. Will see how it pans out over the next few seasons if it's kept.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Agree with you Dinny.
One selling point was " Counties will know for sure when they will be playing". Sure they knew that anyway.
"More time for Club games" - how exactly?
Then we have the Prentyfia Connacht system where Sligo are "A"(earlier) and Ros are "B" (later).
Yet Ros v Rhus Semi was on 8th June while Sligo/Galway was on 21st. The Sligo's Round 2 game is 5th July while Ros' is 12th.
Jeeeeeeeeeeees.....
It's also breaking up the "Super" weekend where all 4 Quarters with their bloodletting were played over the Bank Holiday weekend.

joemamas

It is a complete load of BS. The main reason (excuse) given was that it would allow the beaten provincial finalists more than a week to recover, therefore the pre scheduled Q/finals draws like we currently have.

The futility of it all will be evident over the next month, especially in the "A" group, with all due respect to other teams involved, the Q/finals on Sunday August 3rd will be Mayo/Galway V Kerry/Cork, pretty novel pairings don't you think. When the world cup hype dies down, some informed media pundits, (an oxymoron I know) will latch on to it.

It reeks of overkill/panic when trying to solve a simple problem, by making it worse. In footballing terms, it reminds me of John Maughan's efforts at replacing Dermot Flanagan in the All Ireland final in 1997.

The simple solution would be to play all championship games to a conclusion. It is something I have been saying for years, there is little or no excuse at this point, other than extra revenues. With all the excellent marketing of our games and concerts etc, paying off stadiums,this argument is nowhere near as strong as it was. What other sport I ask, allows their penultimate game, i.e. All-Ireland final to be a draw, I know tradition etc, but remember 40 years ago you still had the bishop, parish priest, local TD's throwing in the ball and then hightailing it to the sideline. It would also eliminate all the issues surround club football or the lack thereof. If the NFL in the US, can draw up a fixed schedule six months ahead of time, surely the GAA can. It would also allow a potential open draw/other championship format, while also keeping provincial championships.

Not to completely digress, but I was watching the end of the Tipperary V Limerick hurling game with my 15 year old daughter on line last month, just as the games finished , Ger Canning announced "and now Limerick go on to meet the winners of Cork and Clare in the Munster final in six weeks time" My daughter said "did he just say six weeks", I said "yes honey", her response "that's insane", my response "you are right".

No need to say anymore.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: joemamas on June 25, 2014, 02:10:51 PM
It is a complete load of BS. The main reason (excuse) given was that it would allow the beaten provincial finalists more than a week to recover, therefore the pre scheduled Q/finals draws like we currently have.

The futility of it all will be evident over the next month, especially in the "A" group, with all due respect to other teams involved, the Q/finals on Sunday August 3rd will be Mayo/Galway V Kerry/Cork, pretty novel pairings don't you think. When the world cup hype dies down, some informed media pundits, (an oxymoron I know) will latch on to it.

It reeks of overkill/panic when trying to solve a simple problem, by making it worse. In footballing terms, it reminds me of John Maughan's efforts at replacing Dermot Flanagan in the All Ireland final in 1997.

The simple solution would be to play all championship games to a conclusion. It is something I have been saying for years, there is little or no excuse at this point, other than extra revenues. With all the excellent marketing of our games and concerts etc, paying off stadiums,this argument is nowhere near as strong as it was. What other sport I ask, allows their penultimate game, i.e. All-Ireland final to be a draw, I know tradition etc, but remember 40 years ago you still had the bishop, parish priest, local TD's throwing in the ball and then hightailing it to the sideline. It would also eliminate all the issues surround club football or the lack thereof. If the NFL in the US, can draw up a fixed schedule six months ahead of time, surely the GAA can. It would also allow a potential open draw/other championship format, while also keeping provincial championships.

Not to completely digress, but I was watching the end of the Tipperary V Limerick hurling game with my 15 year old daughter on line last month, just as the games finished , Ger Canning announced "and now Limerick go on to meet the winners of Cork and Clare in the Munster final in six weeks time" My daughter said "did he just say six weeks", I said "yes honey", her response "that's insane", my response "you are right".

No need to say anymore.
how long between rounds of the FA Cup?
or Champions League knockout stages?

muppet

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 25, 2014, 06:25:18 PM
Quote from: joemamas on June 25, 2014, 02:10:51 PM

No need to say anymore.

Mayo played on the 5th May, 51 days ago and have only played one game since. They have another 18 days till the next match.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Those teams are playing loads of other games in between times  ;)

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2014, 07:02:29 PM
Those teams are playing loads of other games in between times  ;)
they are professionals though
GAA players are not, and should have club games to play (along with all the other club players)

definitely this new qualifier arrangement was not set up well.
it benefits some counties.
why not use seeding from the league standings, averaged over 3 years to determine the two pots in the first round qualifier draw? are the GAA frightened of seeding draws?

Farrandeelin

FA Cup weekends are every three weekends from the 3rd round (last 64) until the last eight (6th round). Then it's a 5 week break until the semi, and another 5 week break until the final. Just answering manfromdelmonte's question!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dubhaltach

Can somebody tell me how home advantage is decided in the next round? I thought it was first team drawn out but I cant see how that will work if there's two bowls. E.g Bowl 1: Limerick/Laois/Longford/Wicklow  V Bowl 2:Sligo/Antrim/Tipp and Wex (or Dub). They would have to pick from one of the bowls first to the detriment of counties in the other.

macdanger2

Dunno but they could use a third bowl with a home and away ball in it and draw that to apply to say the first bowl team??

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 25, 2014, 10:25:13 PM
Dunno but they could use a third bowl with a home and away ball in it and draw that to apply to say the first bowl team??

But since Sky arrived they are now called the second bowl and the Premier bowl respectively.

I hope we don't see Mayo in any bowl, super or otherwise.
MWWSI 2017

drici

Quote from: Dubhaltach on June 25, 2014, 10:22:46 PM

Can somebody tell me how home advantage is decided in the next round? I thought it was first team drawn out but I cant see how that will work if there's two bowls. E.g Bowl 1: Limerick/Laois/Longford/Wicklow  V Bowl 2:Sligo/Antrim/Tipp and Wex (or Dub). They would have to pick from one of the bowls first to the detriment of counties in the other.

One from each bowl will be put into another bowl and first out of that is at Home.

drici

Counties that have met before this year can meet again and whoever won the first game are at Home.

drici

Wexford v Laois