Daily newspapers

Started by The Boy Wonder, October 29, 2012, 01:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boy Wonder

I would be interested to hear opinions on our daily newspapers. I'm a lifetime Indo reader (and would agree with a commonly held view that the Sunday Indo has turned into a rag).
One of my gripes with the daily Irish Indepenent is that the broadsheet version is unavailable quite frequently in recent times.
I'm not a fan of the tabloid format and with the broadsheet you get a separate sports section which is handy if the missus wants the main part. Articles in the tabloid version are often abbreviated verions of those in the broadsheet.

I wouldn't disagree if anyone says that the Irish Times is a better paper - I enjoy reaing it - just don't have the time to read 2 papers a day. There's also thing like death notices - the Indo is more mainstream. The Indo is not too well served by the quality of it's GAA corresponents either.

bennydorano

Been reading the 'i' paper since it's inception, I love the idea of it (conciseness & brevity, while maintaining a high standard - below broadsheet, but above tabloid, it's the Independent(UK) light really) and it's layout, just a perfect set up pour moi and at 20p you couldn't go wrong, beefier edition on a Saturday for 30p (robbing bastids).  Irish news everyday as well.  Fell out with the Times (UK) 2 years ago, but still fall for buying the bastardised version that we get here in NI most Sundays.

Maguire01

Used to buy the Irish News nearly every day but rarely buy it now, especially outside of league and championship season. I get the Irish Times the odd Friday and Saturday - plenty of reading in them that I don't have time for during the week. There's a serious lack of a decent Irish Sunday paper.

Minder

Wouldn't read any paper during the week but try and buy the Sunday Times, even that has had to be shelved for a while as there is a 5 week old baby in the house, so I would be lucky to get past the first page before a nappy needs changed or an arse needs scelped.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

comethekingdom

I buy the indo on sat and that does me for the week - don't get much time to read during the week! Have to say that mick the maverick tells it like it is every week on the back of the review section - some craic !

laoislad

The Leinster Express is the only paper anyone needs, the Boy Wonder should know that!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

drici

ONeill

A few years ago I could never have envisaged going a day without buying a paper. I'd say I could count on one hand the amount of times I've bought one in the last 2-3 months. Just stopped. I think it's the amount of electronic news available now that's caused it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

The Ulster Herald and Irish News. Forget the Sunday rags completely.

That said, most of news is sourced online, via websites, blogs and twitter.
Testing Accessibility

onefaircounty

My weekly routine.

Monday to Saturday - Irish News

Tuesday - Newry Democrat and Cross Examiner

Thursday - Gaelic Life and Newry Reporter

No Sunday paper!

armaghniac

I miss the oul Sunday Tribune, which had good GAA coverage and other reasonably decent stuff also.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

See the 'i' Newspaper back on the stands in Northern Ireland today, wonder what's happened there? It disappeared a year or two ago because they stopped printing it in Belfast. Up to 50p though!

Gold

Irish news I buy almost daily and have done for 15 years. I keep meaning to stop as can read it in two minutes such is the lack of quality, I just don't want to miss anything and like to have a paper in my hand (or on the table while eating! ). During the week I buy it alot but often dont get reading it

I often buy the County Antrim Post on a Tuesday for the sport
Weekends I often buy both or at least one from Sunday Life or Sunday World. ...rubbish I know but entertaining and sport is ok
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

T Fearon

Daily Irish News reader.Belfast Telegraph on Friday and Saturday.No day complete without a newspaper.

BennyCake

Our house was always an Irish News house. My da bought it everyday, and now I do the same. The sports coverage, especially GAA is very good. Don't buy any other daily paper.

Thursday is Gaelic Life day. Never bother with any of the Sunday rags.