The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Leeds were the best side i've seen at Villa Park in recent years. Villa were very lucky to have been 2 goals up because from about the tenth minute onwards it was all Leeds. Their width and overlaps, along with their high energy, caused problems all day. Fair play to them.  I hope it can be sustained and they finally get back to the PL.  The PL needs more teams like Leeds.

Rufus T Firefly

Back to back defeats have started to reawaken old fears of a familiar mid season collapse, so we are entering now a very important transfer window for the Club. We have been undone by a terrible run of injuries, and some bad individual errors and indeed bad luck are beginning to impact. Over the Christmas period, we shipped 10 goals, and but for two stunning comebacks against Blackburn and Villa, we could be conceivably be talking about four defeats in a row.

The loss of Cooper and Berardi at the centre of the defence is having an impact. Phillips has been moved back as a stop gap, which is robbing midfield. We are also suffering from the loss of Bamford up front which is denying a second source of goals. The keeper - and apologies for sounding like a broken record - is becoming a real issue. He was culpable for Forest's decisive third goal yesterday and I think his hesitancy compounded Forshaw's error for the first goal. Leeds can also lament some bad luck, as I thought Forest should have been reduced to ten men when Harrison was brought down when clean through. That was a red card all day long.

A new goalkeeper is an absolute priority. Defensive cover is also required to shore up the defence and an attacking option should be considered, given Bamford's long term injury woes. The good news is we're still top, with Norwich and WBA also hitting turbulence, and in each of the defeats Leeds dominated with more of the ball, more shots, more shots on goal etc. The next few months are obviously huge and in that context, taking a spill at QPR this weekend with a weakened team, would be far from a disaster.

Mourne Rover

It's pretty obvious that a new keeper will be arriving, but, although a strong case can be made for at least two outfield additions, Bielsa has a philosophy based on a tight, highly motivated squad in which everyone knows their job and is capable of covering other positions. There are risks involved but his approach has served Leeds well so far and he is unlikely to change it at this stage. Leeds were genuinely unlucky yesterday and, if they display the same spirit and commitment, will soon start picking up points again. The next two league games are tough ones, at home to Derby and away to Stoke, but this division was always likely to go to the wire.

Rufus T Firefly

I see Leeds being linked with Hoffenheim's Swiss international midfielder, Steven Zuber, although there are some doubts as to whether he would be prepared to play in the second tier of English football.

Billys Boots

Let's be honest here - they are not playing that well recently, but as you say, neither is anyone else (consistently).  I reckon there are still 10 teams in the promotion race in the division, and there are no easy points.  The main worry for me is that this young squad will run out of energy in the next few months, and they will miss Philips in the middle now with the suspension. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 03, 2019, 11:47:34 AM
Let's be honest here - they are not playing that well recently, but as you say, neither is anyone else (consistently).  I reckon there are still 10 teams in the promotion race in the division, and there are no easy points.  The main worry for me is that this young squad will run out of energy in the next few months, and they will miss Philips in the middle now with the suspension.

If they're not playing well I'd hate to see them firing on all cylinders!!
Leeds play a brand of high pressure football that's very hard to beat but it's also very demanding. A large squad is nearly essential for the Championship at that's just to stay competitive. The next month/six weeks will tell a tale.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Rufus T Firefly

Quite indifferent to yesterday's loss, which is a reflection not just on the continued loss of status of a once great competition, but the much more urgent priorities that Leeds have. The relatively small nature of the squad, together with the energy sapping high pressing game, and the relentless injury list, means that a couple of weekend breaks over January and February will be very beneficial. Indeed the team played yesterday was far from the strongest available which suggests that management will not be having any sleepless nights either.

Huge match coming up on Friday. Appreciate the transfer window still has some way to run, but would like to see some additions sooner rather than later, given the importance of the upcoming games. 

extra time

Peacock-Farrell had a stormer yesterday and saved Leeds from a bigger defeat.

brokencrossbar1

Puckoon

Shenanigans afoot. Derby City rightfully not happy.

screenexile

Peacock Farrell with a lousy action as well... Biesla pretty brazen about it as well I hope they get the book thrown at them!!

Mourne Rover

Keeping an eye on the opposition preparations may be sharp practice but is hardly unknown - an unlikely figure was found engaging in it before a not so distant All Ireland final involving an Ulster county. While Peacock Farrell deserved to concede a penalty and probably a red card, the Sky coverage proved that Leeds were deprived of two blatant spot kicks at the other end. Bielsa was wrong to ask someone to stand outside the fence and see what was going on at Derby's training ground but any advantage gained was pretty marginal. Derby were played off the park all night in any event, and Bielsa will take what will probably be a large fine on the chin.

No1

screenexile

Quote from: No1 on January 16, 2019, 04:08:10 PM
Bielsa gone?

Looking like it!!!

Just when you thought Leeds had gotten their act together!!

lurganblue