Laois ACFL Div 1

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, March 21, 2015, 11:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Don't write off the Kilcruise side of the parish either. They seem to be motoring along nicely.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The Monument Road

Quote from: redsetanta on June 09, 2015, 04:25:56 PM
Don't write off the Kilcruise side of the parish either. They seem to be motoring along nicely.
I doubt it...They were also in trouble at championship time last year and  but for the grace of god they and and Josephs were in a dog fight to stay up.Neither of them have improved at all and will be found out come August. Arles Kileen look like the only team to knock Portlaoise off the throne. Strong , determined, training well and all good players playing outstanding football.

Spillane

Can't see St. Josephs in relegation trouble this year as they got the easier draw of Ballyfin in the first round. Ballyfin along with Stradbally, Crettyard/Ballyroan and Ballylinan will have to battle hard to stay up this year. Is it only one team to be relegated this year? (assuming they are no more safety nets of illegal byes etc ;) )

The Monument Road

Quote from: Spillane on June 10, 2015, 07:28:57 PM
Can't see St. Josephs in relegation trouble this year as they got the easier draw of Ballyfin in the first round. Ballyfin along with Stradbally, Crettyard/Ballyroan and Ballylinan will have to battle hard to stay up this year. Is it only one team to be relegated this year? (assuming they are no more safety nets of illegal byes etc ;) )
Ballyfin could surprise the Joey's. Joey's are put-er bad and will  be fodder for most senior teams.look at their league Games so far...one win and they are in for another beating Friday night. I think Ballyroan may surprise a few, Ballylinan will stay up. I'll stick with Stradbally/Joeys to go intermediate ..one to go down

Junior Ex Laoistalk

A few results from the weekend...

St Joseph's:      1-12
Arles/Killeen:    0-15

Graiguecullen:   2-9
The Heath:       1-12 

Portarlington:   3-12 
Crettyard:         1-4

Stradbally:       1-15
Arles Kilcruise:  1-6

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Spillane

Two good results from Cretty has them off bottom spot! Somehow every year they seem to do enough to stay among the elite! However saying that a win over Graigue then seeing Graigue awarding a walk over the next day does take the shine off the win. Things aren't too well down on the border, pulling out their div 2 team and now not having 15 for div 1 isnt the greatest preparation either. Arles Kilcruises great start to the league seems to have come to an abrupt halt. Surely Ross back on board they will rediscover a bit of form. Hard to predict the 4 semi finalists here. Im going with Port, Killeen, Portlaoise and Stradbally

redsetanta

It's a bit of a disgrace that a senior team concedes a game at this time of year. If you cannot get 17 or 18 players together from a club the size of Graiguecullen you're in bother.
I take it there was a wedding or something on. Did they try to get the game changed?
Games should not be conceded though.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Uisce

Crettyard do seem to kick into survival mode at this time of year and fair play to them! The Heath seem to be going well and should be in line for a semi final although they do have 2 tough games coming up. Very strange with Graigue conceding game, you would imagine no team in Division 1 should be conceding games but sure!

Laois fan

No real relegation this year as bottom four go into 1b next year with top four from division 2.The graig results are strange does anyone know what's happening with them,have they list slot of players.Heard birdy isn't playing anymore which would be a massive loss for them

The Monument Road

I cannot understand why the league format was changed for next year. Am i right in saying each divisional section will be comprised of 8 teams with each other playing home and away fixtures next year. Thats 14 games each team will play. Madness i think. As the saying go'es familiarity breeds contempt and i can see some serious confrontataions between certain clubs especially if they meet twice in the space of a few weeks. Let the fun begin :-* :-* :-* :o

SCFC

It's worse than that. There will be two Division 2's, 3's and 4's. six teams per group. 10 games. Play each team twice. Can see walkovers aplenty in the lower leagues.

Don Draper

Quote from: The Monument Road on July 04, 2015, 07:28:50 AM
I cannot understand why the league format was changed for next year. Am i right in saying each divisional section will be comprised of 8 teams with each other playing home and away fixtures next year. Thats 14 games each team will play. Madness i think. As the saying go'es familiarity breeds contempt and i can see some serious confrontataions between certain clubs especially if they meet twice in the space of a few weeks. Let the fun begin :-* :-* :-* :o
Jaysus that sounds great. Who wouldnt want that?!!

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: SCFC on July 04, 2015, 09:33:37 AM
It's worse than that. There will be two Division 2's, 3's and 4's. six teams per group. 10 games. Play each team twice. Can see walkovers aplenty in the lower leagues.

The 2016 leagues could look like this:

Div1A (8) Portarlington, Arles/Killeen, The Heath, Portlaoise, Stradbally, St Josephs, Arles Kilcruise, Mountmellick.
Div1B (8) Graiguecullen, Crettyard, Emo, Killeshin, O'Dempseys, Ballyroan Abbey, Timahoe, Annanough.
Div2A (6) Ballylinan, Portlaoise2, St Josephs2, Ballyfin, Park Ratheniska, Clonaslee.
Div2B (6) The Rock, Graiguecullen2, Courtwood, Rosenallis, O'Dempseys2, The Heath2.
Div3A (6) Portarlington2, Stradbally2, Kilcavan, Spink, Barrowhouse, Portlaoise3.
Div3B (6) Timahoe2, Ballylinan2, Graiguecullen3, Killeshin2, Ballyroan Abbey2, St Fintan's.
Div4A (6) Arles/Killeen2, Arles Kilcruise2, The Rock2, The Harps, Mountmellick2, Ballyfin2.
Div4B (6) Kilcotton, Slieve Bloom Castletown, O'Dempseys3, Ballyroan Abbey3, Emo2, Rosenallis2.
Div5A (5) Courtwood2, Timahoe3, Crettyard2, Annanough2, Stradbally3.
Div5B (5) Park Ratheniska2, Camross, Clough Ballacolla, Portlaoise4, Borris in Ossory.

How does the A/B thing work? If it's like the hurling, they are independent leagues, so why not number them 1-10?

If it's like the national league hurling, 2B teams can win the Division 2 title, beating 2A teams in the semis/playoffs. Does a 2B team, winning the Division 2 title go into Division 1B or still only into 2A?

Oh, County Board......shower us with your wisdom as our unlearned brains are incapable of distinguishing between a pile of sh*te and a work of genius........

Spillane

Comprehensive win for the Town over Strad last night. I was expecting Strad to win this game as Portlaoise never really concentrate on the league and wouldn't show their hand before championship. A win for Graiguecullen over Mountmellick brings them out of the bottom 4 so they will avoid the drop to Div 1b.

Mountmellick
Emo
Crettyard
Killeshin
O'Dempseys
Ballyroan Abbey
Timahoe
Ballylinan

Am i right in saying this is how that division will look next year?

The Monument Road

The semi-final pairings should as i read it are Port V Heath. Kileen V Portlaoise.Am i correct???. Next year should be interesting with home and away matches although i think  that unless they start the leagues earlier it will cause congestion problems.I can see a lot of walkovers especially if clubs have teams in the higher leagues and players cross over between both. Arles ,Josephs and Graigue survived in the top tier after a shaky start. Championship is on the horizon and i see a few shocks awaiting some who are being touted as certs to progress...