Leinster Club Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, August 19, 2018, 03:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois fan

Im not sure if healy would have the pace for mannion,they could easily put dillon on him he did well in leinster final marking him

Laois Rising

watching Healy yesterday you sense he is on the decline (perfectly understandable considering toll of injuries, travelling and being 33). He is still a top club player. However, I would be in favour of moving Gareth Dillon onto Mannion. You need someone with pace to mark a player like him and I don't see Healy having the speed required to keep pace with him.

Good performance yesterday. It is a pity that they threw away last year's game against Moorefield. It will be such a tough task going to Parnell Park where Kilmacud will be very familiar with playing at. This group of players deserve a Leinster club. They have had a few near misses and I fearful it could be the same this year. Kilmacud have really hit their stride in the last few weeks and were hugely impressive again yesterday.

BallyroanAbu

My rule of thumb is oppose Portlaoise within Laois, but once they leave the county boundaries become a supporter.  Unfortunately I was not there yesterday but if previous years are anything to go by Portlaoise's support was probably matched or equaled from those outside Portlaoise as has been the case in previous years.  Personally I think Portlaoise will win Leinster but will find it difficult against the giants of club football Crokes & Corofin they look well ahead of the rest.

High Fielder

I wouldn't even contemplate Healy on Mannion. It just has to be Dillon in my opinion. Cahir is killing himself with football, hurling, work and travelling. I don't think he'd want it any other way and to be honest, he's an absolute credit to himself and his club. Just saw the odds there and Portlaoise are 3/1 to win the match against Kilmacud. It just goes to show the size of the task, but I think those odds are a little bit exaggerated. I'd give them a better chance than that.

Helix

Quote from: High Fielder on November 12, 2018, 10:33:45 AM
I wouldn't even contemplate Healy on Mannion. It just has to be Dillon in my opinion. Cahir is killing himself with football, hurling, work and travelling. I don't think he'd want it any other way and to be honest, he's an absolute credit to himself and his club. Just saw the odds there and Portlaoise are 3/1 to win the match against Kilmacud. It just goes to show the size of the task, but I think those odds are a little bit exaggerated. I'd give them a better chance than that.

Thought Frank Flanagan played fierce well as well as Chris Finn mopping up ball in full back line. Ciaran McEvoy probably his best game in a Portlaoise Jersey. Like few lads think Dillon is the man for Paul Mannion. I'd imagine there'll be a great crowd again go to Parnell Park. I imagine whoever wins this will win Leinster. Anyone can tell when was the last time a Laois team beat a Dublin club in Leinster?

http://kildaregaa.forumotion.com/t1628p325-club-championship-2018#84070

See on the Kildare forum one not happy with the ref and that Moorefield were rode. 2nd best all day long. F**k them you couldn't beat a Kildare team by enough!

It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Leixlad on November 12, 2018, 08:14:32 AM
Great support there as someone pointed out, from all over the county. I have 3 theories there though call me cynical if you like but someone might be able to shed some light  ;D Was there a big crowd there from around Laois to a) support Portlaoise, b)see Portlaoise lose or c) see a Kildare team lose?
a) and c) I'd guess.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

From the Terrace

I know portlaoise beat kilmacud 14-8 in 2004. Not sure if was the last time, hopefully that's a good omen anyway. I Think the 3 point head start on portlaoise on the handicap is a good bet. I think portlaoise have a great chance tbh. They seem a very well drilled outfit.

Don Draper

Quote from: From the Terrace on November 12, 2018, 11:43:04 AM
I know portlaoise beat kilmacud 14-8 in 2004. Not sure if was the last time, hopefully that's a good omen anyway.
Portlaoise roared into a 7 point lead in 2010 and solidly fucked it away, losing 2-4 to 2-7.

Granted there was other matters at play in 2010.

Laoiseabu

It's St Columba's Mullinalaghatas Leinster to lose

Don Draper

portlaoisekid

I thought Portlaoise were excellent yesterday and they earned their victory . Kilmacud will be a step up in class again but I believe Portlaoise have more gears to go through.

I thought Finn ,Holland and Flanagan were excellent, all three do the basics well and are cracking young players.

On a side note I thought there was a nasty element to the Moorefield support, some of the comments flying at our players were disgusting. Even after the match they were trying to start arguments. Couldn't be happier to see them beaten .

High Fielder

Just makes it sweeter PK. I think they like the fact that they feel they can intimidate. They were killed with football yesterday and on a harder track, they'd have got a belly full. Conditions didn't suit either team yesterday but I would have thought they suited Moorefield better. On that basis, I think it's a significant win. The name calling and winding up is their idea of mood music. The Kildare crow has always been particularly hard to listen to, particularly when he has something to sing about

Giovanni

Would agreed with most of what was said above. Portlaoise looked to be in control all through but it was a bit worrying that they had to get away with a marginal penalty shout at the end. I think we've all seen them given.

I was a little surprised to see Cahir Healy left one on one with his man in acres of space in the second half. The forward always has a huge advantage in those circumstances. I don't really blame Healy - I thought more could have been done by the people in front of him to reduce the space (which will be very important next day, whoever is marking Mannion).

Overall though, it was a pleasure, as usual, to watch Portlaoise in action. They won't be easily beaten.

ILikeStrawberryJam

Anyone know the situation with the 2 injuries. Benny Carroll is a big loss.

From the Terrace

Quote from: Don Draper on November 12, 2018, 11:53:20 AM
Quote from: From the Terrace on November 12, 2018, 11:43:04 AM
I know portlaoise beat kilmacud 14-8 in 2004. Not sure if was the last time, hopefully that's a good omen anyway.
Portlaoise roared into a 7 point lead in 2010 and solidly fucked it away, losing 2-4 to 2-7.

Granted there was other matters at play in 2010.
Portlaoise really should have at least one if not two more leinster titles if your going to be critical. The quality of players are there last year another prime example.