Tommy Walsh - Kerry

Started by Jinxy, July 02, 2011, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dont Matter

If Walsh came back for Kerry, Hanley for Mayo and Touhy for Laois there'd be three beasts on the loose on the GAA pitches of Ireland.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 25, 2014, 08:12:24 PM
I always thought Tommy Walsh was a bit over hyped back in 2008/9 and wasn't convinced that he was really top drawer. By next year it will be 6/7 years and a raft of fairly serious injuries later and I would be a surprised if he is a major addition to that Kerry team. If I was a Kerry fan, I'd be more interested in integrating players from the AI winning minor squad than harping back to a lad who has hardly kicked a Gaelic ball in anger in a long time.

Ah c'mon Benny, you have to be joking? He was tearing it up in the 2008 and 2009 championship...and that was as a 20/21 year old. He kicked 4 savage points from play off Allstar Michael Shields in the 2009 final.

A couple of months kicking practice with an O'Neills and he'll be grand if/when he returns. Only 26 so good few years left in him aswell.
He has got a lot leaner and faster in Australia, but hasn't lost the trademark power.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

rodney trotter

It was surprising David Moran wasn't offered a rookie deal when he went to St Kilda in 09 along with Walsh.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on September 25, 2014, 11:15:33 PM
I always thought Tommy Walsh was a bit over hyped back in 2008/9 and wasn't convinced that he was really top drawer. By next year it will be 6/7 years and a raft of fairly serious injuries later and I would be a surprised if he is a major addition to that Kerry team. If I was a Kerry fan, I'd be more interested in integrating players from the AI winning minor squad than harping back to a lad who has hardly kicked a Gaelic ball in anger in a long time.

Ah c'mon Benny, you have to be joking? He was tearing it up in the 2008 and 2009 championship...and that was as a 20/21 year old. He kicked 4 savage points from play off Allstar Michael Shields in the 2009 final.

A couple of months kicking practice with an O'Neills and he'll be grand if/when he returns. Only 26 so good few years left in him aswell.
He has got a lot leaner and faster in Australia, but hasn't lost the trademark power.

Ok fair enough, but in 2008 his highest return was 1-2 in the semi final v Cork and a poor showing in the final v Tyrone suggested a bit of hyperbole about the Twin Towers. But he was young and would learn from it. In 2009 he got 1 point across the two games in the Munster semi v Cork, 0-1 v Sligo in the qualifiers, (ok 1-2 v Antrim is impressive in the next round). In the Qtr final v Dublin he failed to register as Kerry kicked 1-24. Yes 1-2 in the semi final and 0-4 in a fairly dominant victory against Cork in the final was better but taking his tallies over the 2 years  it is hardly the scoring return of a man who was tearing it up. Don't get me wrong, he was a decent player and possibly would have emerged as a serious talent but he's walked away from the game for nearly 7 years and in the meantime picked up a serious injury - I wonder how you work out that he is now faster? All my point was that I never fully was convinced that he was top drawer (at the time - but he had potential) and would prefer to be blooding some of that excellent minor team than looking back at players who had been out of the game for so long. People are expecting him to come back and pick up where he left off and continue his progression into the player everyone wanted him to become. I just think it may not be quite so easy. But sorry, I should know by now that not agreeing that all Kerry players are superstars is frowned upon.
That was never a square ball!!

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 25, 2014, 11:42:25 PM

Ok fair enough, but in 2008 his highest return was 1-2 in the semi final v Cork and a poor showing in the final v Tyrone suggested a bit of hyperbole about the Twin Towers. But he was young and would learn from it. In 2009 he got 1 point across the two games in the Munster semi v Cork, 0-1 v Sligo in the qualifiers, (ok 1-2 v Antrim is impressive in the next round). In the Qtr final v Dublin he failed to register as Kerry kicked 1-24. Yes 1-2 in the semi final and 0-4 in a fairly dominant victory against Cork in the final was better but taking his tallies over the 2 years  it is hardly the scoring return of a man who was tearing it up. Don't get me wrong, he was a decent player and possibly would have emerged as a serious talent but he's walked away from the game for nearly 7 years and in the meantime picked up a serious injury - I wonder how you work out that he is now faster? All my point was that I never fully was convinced that he was top drawer (at the time - but he had potential) and would prefer to be blooding some of that excellent minor team than looking back at players who had been out of the game for so long. People are expecting him to come back and pick up where he left off and continue his progression into the player everyone wanted him to become. I just think it may not be quite so easy. But sorry, I should know by now that not agreeing that all Kerry players are superstars is frowned upon.

Tommy was not a "superstar" before he left (although he could have become one) and is certainly not one right now in any code. No idea why you are getting so ratty about it.
You go through a number of stats there, quoting scores...ignoring the fact that Walsh came out the field quite a bit and played around the middle or half forward line earlier in the championship. He played all his football up to minor at midfield and he may well play deeper IF he gets to play county football again.
I say he is faster now, because I have seen him up close, but more pertinently because the hard data from his speed testing indicates he has got faster since 2009/10. He lost around 8kgs from his 2009 "championship" weight which is a factor.
Anyway, hopefully we get to see him at home and in green and gold soon.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Keane

Wasn't it a "raft" of serious injuries a while ago? Has the raft gone missing in the course of your googling for "points from play" statistics?

J OGorman

Walsh is a top player and will benefit Kerry's championship next year big time. Is he still rocking the Drago do?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: J OGorman on September 26, 2014, 04:16:12 PM
Walsh is a top player and will benefit Kerry's championship next year big time. Is he still rocking the Drago do?

Google is amazing,  even for lazy arsed feckers like you!!!!

Mike Sheehy

He will fit in well to our revolutionary new defensive set up.

The gold embroidered blanket is a great addition to Gaelic football wouldn't you say ?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Keane on September 26, 2014, 03:51:26 PM

Wasn't it a "raft" of serious injuries a while ago? Has the raft gone missing in the course of your googling for "points from play" statistics?

Hardly the main point. Of course I googled his scoring exploits - do you know what every player scored in the championship 6/7 years ago?? The reason being that i didn't remember him being this player who tore up defensives in 08/09 so I checked the figures to back up my argument, and they do - so is there a problem with finding some evidence to back up your point, or should we all be from the Kerry / Spillane school of analysis were we just say what comes into our heads and stereo type everyone? No doubt we'll see the hard data on sprinting speed to back up arguments as well??

Ultimately I just don't think he will add much to the Kerry team and long term the current minor crop would be a better bet to work with. I could be wrong! In actual fact I thought I was being complementary of state of Kerry football and not at all "ratty" as accused by another poster. But you's are sensitive souls and I understand this is heightened as you are just coming to terms with the new sewer football that you now play.

mlcollins

You say he will not add much to the Kerry set up, you are obviously a graduate from the joe brolly school of cognitive analysis  ;)

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 26, 2014, 06:02:05 PM
But you's are sensitive souls and I understand this is heightened as you are just coming to terms with the new sewer football that you now play.

It's very funny to watch Brolly try to come up with a label like "vomit" or  "sewer" football and Nordies like you trying to make it stick. It's obvious that it is a retaliation for the "puke football" jibe that you have never lived down.Even your banter is manufactured and forced just like your football  :D

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 26, 2014, 06:35:09 PM
But you's are sensitive souls and I understand this is heightened as you are just coming to terms with the new sewer football that you now play.

It's very funny to watch Brolly try to come up with a label like "sewer" football and Nordies like you trying to make it stick. It's obvious that it is a retaliation for the "puke football" jibe that you have never lived down.Even your banter is manufactured and forced just like your football  :D

Did Brolly say that? I don't watch the Sunday Game

orangeman

I wouldn't mind Walsh lining out for my team. He was a serious player before he left. It'll be interesting to see how he fits in again to the mostly running game that exists now although the long ball served Kerry well at the business end.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 26, 2014, 06:37:09 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 26, 2014, 06:35:09 PM

It's very funny to watch Brolly try to come up with a label like "sewer" football and Nordies like you trying to make it stick. It's obvious that it is a retaliation for the "puke football" jibe that you have never lived down.Even your banter is manufactured and forced just like your football  :D

Did Brolly say that? I don't watch the Sunday Game

I corrected it for you  ;) he said "vomit" in some article,  which is even less original than sewer!