Tommy Walsh - Kerry

Started by Jinxy, July 02, 2011, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold tea

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 28, 2012, 11:29:26 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on May 28, 2012, 10:18:25 AM
You seriously have got issues MS. I started that thread to get a bit of insight into Kerry's preparation for this years championship and asked what the story was with Donaghy as clearly this was a significant part of the build up i.e. one of your main players being benched for disciplinary reasons. I always thought that us Tyronies were supposed to play the paranoid neurotic role in this board? Jeez!

you are  a liar Omagh Gael. First you jump on tommy walshes setback and then you latch onto kieran Donaghy being dropped. I will not tolerate c***ts like you taking cheap shots.

Too right that's more Tadhg Kennelly's task.

Jinxy

I'd be surprised if the county board weren't doing their best to twist his arm to come home.
He's badly needed and doesn't seem to be doing much in Oz.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Sure journos have enough to occuip themselves with without having to decide if they're talking about the football or hurling Tommy Walsh again!

orangeman

Jinxy

Quote from: Keane on May 22, 2012, 11:02:28 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2012, 07:31:33 PM
Em, it's his 3rd year out there and this was his first game.
I'll wait till he plays a couple of games against decent teams before I change my mind.
I'd have scored against that crowd they played at the weekend.

It's the START of his third year playing a game he never played amongst squads of people who have played all their lives training in fully professional setups - in many cases with one another - who are strangers to him. He's also moved to the other side of the world away from most of the people he knows. Expecting someone to stroll into a team under those circumstances is moronic, as evidenced by the number of guys who have crashed and burned in the last couple of years after being thrown in at the deep end.

Two full years is a fairly minimal timeframe for a player for a player to adjust to an entirely new sport and way of life if you're looking for a sensible approach that gives a guy a chance at longevity and doesn't just chew them up for a few games, or even a couple of seasons, before spitting them back to where they came from.

This lad owes me an apology.
I called it from the get go.
If Tommy comes home now he still has time to win 5 or 6 All-Ireland medals.

lynchbhoy

id love to see Tommy Walsh come back from Oz and play for Kerry

what a player he was.

5 Sams

Met him in Dingle at the Wran last December...I asked him straight out and he didn't say no about coming home. It's the lads own decision...imagine a full forward line picked from him , Gooch, Geaney, Star and Donoghue. Just a wee insight...he's best buddies with David Moran and after seeing him excelling this year he might say...I can do that .....again.
The Aristocrat Years

Never beat the deeler

The only luck Tommy had in his AFL career was bad luck.

His first couple of years at St Kilda were his formation years, and this article from May 2012 shows how far he came and how excited they were in him (Pearce Hanley moved over in 2007 and played 3 games before the 2010 season)

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/saints-can-only-wonder-what-might-have-been-20120525-1za30.html

Swans were struggling with a few injuries at the start of the 2013 season and he got his chance, but tore his hamstring off the bone and was out until making his return in the reserves halfway through the season. By the time he had returned, Swans had the best big forwards in the game in Franklin, Tippett and Goodes.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Keane

Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2014, 03:23:11 PM
Quote from: Keane on May 22, 2012, 11:02:28 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2012, 07:31:33 PM
Em, it's his 3rd year out there and this was his first game.
I'll wait till he plays a couple of games against decent teams before I change my mind.
I'd have scored against that crowd they played at the weekend.

It's the START of his third year playing a game he never played amongst squads of people who have played all their lives training in fully professional setups - in many cases with one another - who are strangers to him. He's also moved to the other side of the world away from most of the people he knows. Expecting someone to stroll into a team under those circumstances is moronic, as evidenced by the number of guys who have crashed and burned in the last couple of years after being thrown in at the deep end.

Two full years is a fairly minimal timeframe for a player for a player to adjust to an entirely new sport and way of life if you're looking for a sensible approach that gives a guy a chance at longevity and doesn't just chew them up for a few games, or even a couple of seasons, before spitting them back to where they came from.

This lad owes me an apology.
I called it from the get go.
If Tommy comes home now he still has time to win 5 or 6 All-Ireland medals.

If that's the standard of logic you're happy to apply to the five year saga then I most certainly apologise wholeheartedly for attempting to engage with the thread.

Jinxy

Keane

Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2014, 04:11:27 PM
I accept your apology.

Ha, good man. I actually read the thread back when it was bumped and was surprised my original post was so OTT. I must have been trying to give up the smokes at the time!

He's odds on to come home now anyway, it will make for a tough front eight to get into in Kerry.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Keane on September 25, 2014, 04:50:45 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2014, 04:11:27 PM
I accept your apology.

Ha, good man. I actually read the thread back when it was bumped and was surprised my original post was so OTT. I must have been trying to give up the smokes at the time!

He's odds on to come home now anyway, it will make for a tough front eight to get into in Kerry.

Potentially 3 Narries amongst them..about time ye started pulling ye're weight.  :P
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

BennyHarp

I always thought Tommy Walsh was a bit over hyped back in 2008/9 and wasn't convinced that he was really top drawer. By next year it will be 6/7 years and a raft of fairly serious injuries later and I would be a surprised if he is a major addition to that Kerry team. If I was a Kerry fan, I'd be more interested in integrating players from the AI winning minor squad than harping back to a lad who has hardly kicked a Gaelic ball in anger in a long time.
That was never a square ball!!

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 25, 2014, 08:12:24 PM
I always thought Tommy Walsh was a bit over hyped back in 2008/9 and wasn't convinced that he was really top drawer. By next year it will be 6/7 years and a raft of fairly serious injuries later and I would be a surprised if he is a major addition to that Kerry team. If I was a Kerry fan, I'd be more interested in integrating players from the AI winning minor squad than harping back to a lad who has hardly kicked a Gaelic ball in anger in a long time.

Wishful thinking by some of our contributors. Kennelly coped after a very long break from Football. Can't see it being much different for Walsh.

bcarrier

Tommy Walsh absolutely out of top drawer. If he is over injury and gets the same protection / blind eye to hand off as say that big rhino from Donegal  he will create chaos next year.