Top Ten Grounds In Ireland

Started by joebloggs, February 08, 2007, 04:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on February 08, 2007, 05:08:48 PM
limerick's gaelic grounds is the third biggest stadium, and it gets used about hafl a dozen time, talk about a white elephant!
Would it get as many as that every decade??
Sure didn't JP pay for half of it anyway, so what's the harm?  For me the biggest problem with these stadiums is the complete lack of atmosphere when they've 5000 people in them, Parnell Pk and Pearse Pk are cracking wee grounds for league games - well covered and it doesn't take many to build up an atmosphere at them.  Every county should have a 10000 capacity covered stadium imo.

joebloggs

Hi everyone thanks for your help so far.

ive managed to get the following data so far

Picture      Capacity   Location
Croke Park       Y      82,300      Dublin
Semple Stadium         Y              55,000      Tipperary
Gaelic Grounds      N      49,500      Limerick
Pairc Ui Chaoimh   N      42,000      Cork
Fitzgerald Stadium   N      39,120      Kerry
McHale Park       N      36,000      Mayo
Pearse Stadium      N      34,000      Galway
St Tiernach's Park   N      33,000      Monaghan
Casement Park         Y            32,000      Antrim
Hyde Park       N      30,000      Roscommon

I need to get pictures for the rest of the stadiums. I have found a few on google from worldstadiums.com, but the pictures are too small. i would prefer something the size of the omagh pitch that was posted earlier. thanks

scalder

would have to agree that we have too many mouments to egos being built - I mean I think Mayo are talking of upgrading Castlebar to 50k or something utterly crazy like that. I think 25k like we have in Wexford is more than adequate and then invest in 1-2 other grounds per province to bring them up to mini Croke Park stadards. I'd upgrade, Thurles, Pairc Uí Cuiv, Portlaoise, Clones, Casement and Tuam and Roscommon.

MacDanger

QuoteI'd upgrade, Thurles, Pairc Uí Cuiv, Portlaoise, Clones, Casement and Tuam and Roscommon.

Is Roscommon not a disaster for getting into/out of?? When choosing which stadia to upgrade, ease of access should be v high on the list?

stephenite

Quote from: MacDanger on February 09, 2007, 03:54:21 AM
When choosing which stadia to upgrade, ease of access should be v high on the list?

Something they forgot to mention to the Gallimh lads when they came up with the bright idea of playing football by the seaside

Armagh4SamAgain

How many countys dont have proper grounds? Look at Fermanagh they have to play away from home in the NFL!! Disgrace that they cant get there act together and a get a county ground in this day. Theres grants you no! If you cant read and writ you can get someone from a neighboring county to fill in the forms for you!!
Louth is the same. They cant play at home in qualifiers or LSFC because they have no ground. Get your finger out louth!
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Armagh4SamAgain

BTW Croke Pk is definently the best!
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Billys Boots

QuoteDisgrace that they cant get there act together and a get a county ground in this day.

You mean like Armagh?   ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

laughinpaddy

The Athletic grounds were only rented by the ogs lurganblue, and they would have to take a lot of responsibility for its decline.  They now play in Pearse ogs park on the ballycrummy road just outside the town, an impressive ground. with a lot of potential. 
I ain't gettin on no plane!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on February 09, 2007, 08:38:30 AM
  If you cant read and writ you can get someone from a neighboring county to fill in the forms for you!!
Louth is the same.
Hmmm, and are Armagh to proud to ask their neighbours to give them a hand with the forms? :D

OdoSkimodo

Fearon and armagh4samagain on their way to the game at the athletic grounds

cavanmaniac

It's a mark of how little Kingspan Breffni Park has been used in recent times that nobody here has experienced it to include it on a lost of top grounds in Ireland.

32,000 capacity, modern facilities, good access roads.

Only big senior championship game there since redevelopment was Cavan v Down in the Ulster SFC replay a few years ago, the odd qualifier from time to time, a few college matches and an All-Ireland minor final replay.

Lecale2

Have to agree with Cavan maniac Breffni Pk is an excellent stadium. I was there a couple of year ago for the Cavan/Down replay and I rate it far higher than Clones. You get a great view of the pitch from all around the ground and the other facilities such as toilets are first class. Looking forward to a trip to Cavan town later this year.

As for Armagh4Sam - Pots, kettles and black come to mind. Crossmaglen isn't fit to host league games and it must 15 years since Armagh played at home in the Ulster SFC. Are they waiting to use the Maze/Long Kesh as their home ground or are the county Board going to finish the Athelic Grounds?

laughinpaddy

Almost 15 years lecale2.  to my knowledge Derry was the last team Armagh played in the USFC in the Athletic grounds, I think it was 1994/5.  The county board maintain that the work is to start soon but they have been saying that since the Derry game, FFS they are charging clubs up to £2000 to help with the payment but theres been no work done to pay for! Maybe its going towards they county teams trips to Barcelona or La Manga ;)
I ain't gettin on no plane!

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteI'd upgrade, Thurles, Pairc Uí Cuiv, Portlaoise, Clones, Casement and Tuam and Roscommon.

Tuam is being upgraded. A big new stand is being built. I presume they'll fix up the rest of the ground as well.