Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 01:59:29 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 12, 2019, 01:33:49 PM
Following up on the story of that remarkable man.

Salford man jailed (4 months) for setting off fireworks at Remembrance Sunday event

Somehow miraculously managed to escape being ripped to pieces by the angry mob frothing at the mouth  in a KKK like frenzy.

https://tinyurl.com/yjnmm6st

Milltown Row 2? (in another guise) commented  on the article "U dirty sc**bag"

I suppose if you're looking to be ripped to pieces just turn up at a funeral outside Casement  ;)

Every year it's the same, people annoyed about a charity. I think the charity can represent what it wants to everyone who wears it or any other flower. If someone is wearing it for the wrong reasons then that's his problem and if you're offended by it then put your big boy pants on and ignore it
You should put your pants on and shift away from the obsession you have with this thread :D
You protest way too much, persistantly indulge in whataboutery and assume that one persons critical analysis of the widespread creeeping  poppy fascism eg in the world of football, conforms to your narrow, simplistic and plain ignorant perspective of a person 'being offfended'. You're more of  a fascist in the guise of a pseudo tolerabe liberal  ;D

red hander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 01:59:29 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 12, 2019, 01:33:49 PM
Following up on the story of that remarkable man.

Salford man jailed (4 months) for setting off fireworks at Remembrance Sunday event

Somehow miraculously managed to escape being ripped to pieces by the angry mob frothing at the mouth  in a KKK like frenzy.

https://tinyurl.com/yjnmm6st

Milltown Row 2? (in another guise) commented  on the article "U dirty sc**bag"

I suppose if you're looking to be ripped to pieces just turn up at a funeral outside Casement  ;)

Every year it's the same, people annoyed about a charity. I think the charity can represent what it wants to everyone who wears it or any other flower. If someone is wearing it for the wrong reasons then that's his problem and if you're offended by it then put your big boy pants on and ignore it

Pathetic without putting that particular episode in context considering it was used to demonise a whole community

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 03:54:14 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 12, 2019, 03:17:52 PM
You're one of a number of posters on this Board that I've previously had run ins with and have personally tried to get to like but I have to admit defeat

Dougal this board is not about conforming with others and sharing and agreeing with their views all the time, and its not about gaining new friends, I've enough friends to disagree with but not fall out with.

I have never disliked anyone on here as I (bar a couple) don't know anyone here personally, a lot of people come on here for a wind up a chat or share thoughts on various things, some of which is very useful. I'd suspect a lot of posters on here wouldn't be so sharing of their thoughts in real life to their work colleagues, I'm at an age were I can take it or leave it..

The poopy like flegs seem to get up peoples goats a lot easier than other subjects I find more important, as for wanting things to go back to the 60's I have no idea where you are getting that from in any of my posts. But yes women shouldn't be allowed to vote or work in a pub/bookies

I dont think this is anything to do with individual decisions people take regarding the wearing of a poppy. Its about a bullying culture to wear one, its about one up man-ship - my poppy is bigger than yours, its about a sort of british nationalism. It certainly seems to be f**k all to do with actually remembering anything or anyone. Some of what you see is damn right so ridiculous you can only laugh - poppy cakes, poppy haircuts, poppys on dogs, foreign footballers forced to wear poppys on their jerseys.

Orior

Quote from: Itchy on November 12, 2019, 05:05:14 PM
You're one of a number of posters on this Board that I've previously had run ins with and have personally tried to get to like but I have to admit defeat

Dougal this board is not about conforming with others and sharing and agreeing with their views all the time, and its not about gaining new friends, I've enough friends to disagree with but not fall out with.

I have never disliked anyone on here as I (bar a couple) don't know anyone here personally, a lot of people come on here for a wind up a chat or share thoughts on various things, some of which is very useful. I'd suspect a lot of posters on here wouldn't be so sharing of their thoughts in real life to their work colleagues, I'm at an age were I can take it or leave it..

The poopy like flegs seem to get up peoples goats a lot easier than other subjects I find more important, as for wanting things to go back to the 60's I have no idea where you are getting that from in any of my posts. But yes women shouldn't be allowed to vote or work in a pub/bookies

I dont think this is anything to do with individual decisions people take regarding the wearing of a poppy. Its about a bullying culture to wear one, its about one up man-ship - my poppy is bigger than yours, its about a sort of british nationalism. It certainly seems to be f**k all to do with actually remembering anything or anyone. Some of what you see is damn right so ridiculous you can only laugh - poppy cakes, poppy haircuts, poppys on dogs, foreign footballers forced to wear poppys on their jerseys.

Even those from Deutschland.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Who is bullied into wearing a poppy? If someone wants to wear a poppy they'll do it, if they don't then they shouldn't, I work with the public every day I do not bat an eyelid at a poppy on their coat, nor do I question their motives, same at Easter time or St Patricks day, I've more to worry about in life than someone wearing a flower on their coat or what it stands for, there are far more terrible things going on, like the price of butter and fruit!

The brits will always ram it down your throat, have you been affected by over use of the poppy?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 05:23:08 PM

Who is bullied into wearing a poppy? If someone wants to wear a poppy they'll do it, if they don't then they shouldn't, I work with the public every day I do not bat an eyelid at a poppy on their coat, nor do I question their motives, same at Easter time or St Patricks day, I've more to worry about in life than someone wearing a flower on their coat or what it stands for, there are far more terrible things going on, like the price of butter and fruit!

The brits will always ram it down your throat, have you been affected by over use of the poppy?

Every professional soccer player in the uk. Everyone who goes onto uk TV.  Thats for a start.

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 05:23:08 PM

Agree entirely re anyone's right to wear a poppy , friends and work colleagues have been wearing them for years and it doesn't annoy me in the slightest . Personally, I don't know anyone who wears it to be provocative. However , it actually devalues the poppy symbolism if wearing it becomes an expectation rather than a choice . The treatment of James mcclean is racist in my opinion, he has explained his valid reasons for not wearing it, and he respects those that do wear them, yet he is subjected to racist abuse for choosing not to wear one. It's absolutely appalling that his "union" the PFA , and the FA itself don't give him any meaningful support , therefore contributing to making this racism acceptable. Those that don't support mcclean are at best hypocritical and at worst racist themselves by giving credence to the implication ( much like the anti - Neil Lennon racism) that McCLean brings it on himself, and should just shut up and get on with it.

Ambrose

I think the two lads should have a straightener. Loser wears a poppy into work for a week next November.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Milltown Row2

Is there anyone on this forum forced to wear a poppy?

McClean is doing it for his reasons, principled. his growing up during the troubles or his family's experiences of the troubles has shaped his views, his stance is a simple one. He continues to play and the thugs/fans at these games are a minority

I don't or would never wear one, same as any other remembrance flower.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dougal Maguire

Now we'll see if Frank Mitchel is on the Board
Careful now

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 08:47:53 PM

McClean is doing it for his reasons, principled. his growing up during the troubles or his family's experiences of the troubles has shaped his views, his stance is a simple one. He continues to play and the thugs/fans at these games are a minority

Maybe so, but the FA should back McClean on his stance. Instead they sit back and watch him get abused annually. The FA staying silent more or less gives arseholes permission to abuse him.

dec

Quote from: BennyCake on November 12, 2019, 09:08:54 PM

Maybe so, but the FA should back McClean on his stance. Instead they sit back and watch him get abused annually. The FA staying silent more or less gives arseholes permission to abuse him.

Even the Royal British Legion realises that forcing people to wear it is wrong.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34720464

A spokesperson for the Royal British Legion says the poppy "honours all those who have sacrificed their lives to protect the freedoms we enjoy today, and so the decision to wear it must be a matter of personal choice. If the poppy became compulsory it would lose its meaning and significance. We are thankful for every poppy worn, but we never insist upon it, to do so would be contrary to the spirit of Remembrance and all that the poppy stands for."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 12, 2019, 09:05:22 PM

I doubt very much Frank is forced, he's happy enough to wear it, as he does every year.

I worked in the shipyard and they had poppies on all year and ten extra ones on during September October and November. I never felt intimidated pressured or bullied.

I respect people wearing them for the right reasons but reserve the right not to wear one

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 09:18:42 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 12, 2019, 09:05:22 PM

I doubt very much Frank is forced, he's happy enough to wear it, as he does every year.

I worked in the shipyard and they had poppies on all year and ten extra ones on during September October and November. I never felt intimidated pressured or bullied.

I respect people wearing them for the right reasons but reserve the right not to wear one

I doubt Frank is forced , but there has become a culture of expectation of wearing a poppy in various visibly prominent organisations which demeans the valid principle behind the poppy. The treatment of McClean and the failure of the PFA , FA And other prominent British organisations to support his right to choose , and/or condemn the racist abuse he receives,  is a serious indictment of those organisations who rightly champion equality and respect in all other cases. Not only is it appalling but it's really bizarre - how do they not realise the hypocrisy of their silence?

Itchy

This is a forum millrown. Just because I am not forced to wear a poppy doesn't mean I cannot point out the rank hypocrisy of poppy fascism and the obvious bullying behaviour that goes on in the uk.