Visa for my wife

Started by Asal Mor, February 12, 2014, 02:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

I'm married and living in Asia. My wife is Asian and we don't have any kids yet. I'm looking for some Visa advice. It might seem strange to be asking on here but I think it's as good a place as any and it's a genuine request. I think from what I've been reading on this website

http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/papnoneuspouse.htm

that if myself and my wife go to Ireland on a visitor/holiday Visa and get married while in Ireland, then my wife immediately has the right to reside in Ireland and it's a  matter of going to a Garda station to register the marriage, then to the appropriate office n Dublin to get the residency permit. I could phone my local embassy with this question but you can understand that I'm reluctant to phone them about my wife moving to Ireland and then send off an application for a holiday visa. I plan on working obviously, and my wife would like to work too if the conditions of her residency permit allow, but the most important thing is that we'd like to move home.

T Fearon

You say you are already married,but propose to marry "again " in Ireland. Surely to do this you would need official proof that you are free to marry,which being married already,you will be unable to provide.

Asal Mor

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2014, 02:54:22 AM
You say you are already married,but propose to marry "again " in Ireland. Surely to do this you would need official proof that you are free to marry,which being married already,you will be unable to provide.

I don't know to be honest Tony. That's something I'll have to start researching - what paperwork we'll need to get married in Ireland. It's a good point though. When we got married over here I had to provide that certificate. It advises on that website though that the best way to do it is to bring your wife to Ireland, bring your marriage certificate,and get married again in Ireland so I think there must be some way of doing it.

JUst retired

If you are Catholic,and were not married in a Catholic church but in a civil wedding may have some bearing on this. As holy Ireland may not recognise the civi marriage. I do not wish to enquire about your religion,this is just a thought that may be well of the mark. Anyway good luck in whatever way it turns out.

seafoid

Asal- have you asked the embassy? I would go there first before relying on the net.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lawnseed

actually what you need is a ec visa. depending on the nationality of you wife that may be easier than you think eg is from an ex british colony ex portugese etc. you have an ec passport remember. it maybe be more straight forward to move to nordieland in the first instance to establish ec citizenship then go where you like.

btw do you think she'll vote sinn fein.. cead mile failte
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lawnseed

Quote from: laoislad on February 12, 2014, 09:28:02 AM
Rule 1.
what? your probably pm-ing the lad for a photo or looking to know if she has any sisters ;)

deiseach

I don't understand why you are trying to avoid the embassy. What else are they for if not to facilitate Irish citizens? One of the happiest moments of my wife's life was when she was struggling to get her new passport thanks to call centre idiocy and, having written a letter of complaint, received a phone call from a plummy-voiced chap called Robin apologising in the most minute detail for her experience and arranging for delivery of her passport within 24 hours. She felt like she was in the Raj. Let them do their job. They're going to get involved long before it's all done.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: deiseach on February 12, 2014, 09:48:21 AM
I don't understand why you are trying to avoid the embassy. What else are they for if not to facilitate Irish citizens? One of the happiest moments of my wife's life was when she was struggling to get her new passport thanks to call centre idiocy and, having written a letter of complaint, received a phone call from a plummy-voiced chap called Robin apologising in the most minute detail for her experience and arranging for delivery of her passport within 24 hours. She felt like she was in the Raj. Let them do their job. They're going to get involved long before it's all done.

Exactly. Don't be acting like you've done something wrong (You haven't, have you?). They will be the ones with correct and reliable info. I wouldn't be relying on the second-hand info from that website
Hasta la victoria siempre

lawnseed

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 12, 2014, 02:03:27 AM
I'm married and living in Asia. My wife is Asian and we don't have any kids yet. I'm looking for some Visa advice. It might seem strange to be asking on here but I think it's as good a place as any and it's a genuine request. I think from what I've been reading on this website

that if myself and my wife go to Ireland on a visitor/holiday Visa and get married while in Ireland, then my wife immediately has the right to reside in Ireland and it's a  matter of going to a Garda station to register the marriage, then to the appropriate office n Dublin to get the residency permit. I could phone my local embassy with this question but you can understand that I'm reluctant to phone them about my wife moving to Ireland and then send off an application for a holiday visa. I plan on working obviously, and my wife would like to work too if the conditions of her residency permit allow, but the most important thing is that we'd like to move home.
all messing aside.., without revealing too much. how'd you meet up or were you on holidays or working or studying there.. just interested, sounds like a romantic story.. valentines etc..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lawnseed on February 12, 2014, 10:26:21 AM

all messing aside.., without revealing too much. how'd you meet up or were you on holidays or working or studying there.. just interested, sounds like a romantic story.. valentines etc..

Nosey cnut
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lawnseed

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2014, 10:31:32 AM
Quote from: lawnseed on February 12, 2014, 10:26:21 AM

Nosey cnut
compared the questions immigration will ask.. you mean. they're going want to hear it all you should watch border patrol.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: JUst retired on February 12, 2014, 06:48:46 AM
If you are Catholic,and were not married in a Catholic church but in a civil wedding may have some bearing on this. As holy Ireland may not recognise the civi marriage. I do not wish to enquire about your religion,this is just a thought that may be well of the mark. Anyway good luck in whatever way it turns out.

What nonsense is that?

AZOffaly

Asked and answered your honour.