Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

https://theathletic.com/1429846/2019/12/12/manchester-uniteds-4000-games-of-homegrown-players-the-legends-the-one-game-wonders-and-fergies-flipchart?source=shared-article

Tried to copy and paste this article in here last night but it's too long and was too fiddly for me to try and split it up on my phone :). It's behind a paywall but well worth signing for the weeks free trial for a read of it.

Maroon Manc

Its a fantastic record and think we're in the midst of having a number of academy graduates playing vital roles in the team. Rashford & McTominay are now 2 of the teams most important players and I think Greenwood & Tuanzebe will over the next few years too with a good few others like Gomes, Williams & Garner won't be far away either.

United heavily linked with Haaland, if he does have that release clause of around £20m United have got to be in for him, would bring something different up top. Ole has mentioned loans a few times and keeps mentioning how he's short a couple of players so would like to think he'll try and bring someone in on loan.

Square Ball

Same old problem, inability to break down stubborn defenses. Great against teams that come out and play.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stiffler

I have no idea how lingard gets so many minutes. Offers very little.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Cunny Funt

Typical United over the last 6 years with good results followed quickly by a poor one. Not sure how that Everton goal stood but both DeGea, Lindelof have to do better, the lack of leadership to turn a game around a major issue once again and few new signings in January is unlikely fix that issue.

In the end it took a moment of brilliance from a teenager to grab a draw. After his two goals midweek one would have to wonder why he didn't get rewarded with a start today?

J70

My first instinct would have been foul on DeGea also, but he was weak as f**k there on second viewing.

Boycey

Quote from: J70 on December 15, 2019, 05:33:01 PM
My first instinct would have been foul on DeGea also, but he was weak as f**k there on second viewing.

Weak as fcuk surely and Lindelofs positioning is poor so they deserved what they got but VAR continues to baffle the bejaysus out of me. How can they then look at it and say he's not got a hand in his face. I saw somewhere that even Big Dunc thought it was a free out  :D

stiffler

It's all well and good beating the likes of city , but it will be the games v the likes of Everton that will determine where Utd finish this season.

With Chelsea playing spurs next week there is a real opportunity for Utd to finally make a claim for the 4th spot.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

J70

Quote from: Boycey on December 15, 2019, 06:07:07 PM

Weak as fcuk surely and Lindelofs positioning is poor so they deserved what they got but VAR continues to baffle the bejaysus out of me. How can they then look at it and say he's not got a hand in his face. I saw somewhere that even Big Dunc thought it was a free out  :D

And if ever a man knew everything there is to know about flying in on the keeper, it's him!

imtommygunn

VAR is a shitshow. It's ruining the game. It has unintentionally redefined the offside rule too with absolutely no advantage to the attacker any more. The offside decisions should also be "clear and obvious" too.

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 15, 2019, 07:18:22 PM

VAR is a shitshow. It's ruining the game. It has unintentionally redefined the offside rule too with absolutely no advantage to the attacker any more. The offside decisions should also be "clear and obvious" too.

The forward used to have to be level with the last man back. He has to be behind anymore, When we are dealing with millimeters. Does VAR even know when exactly contact is made with the ball passed in?

imtommygunn

There's a lot of theory on the frames per second etc where var isn't entirely accurate then offsides decisions are being made on millimetres.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/var-premier-league-offside-raheem-sterling-bundesliga-mls-clear-and-obvious-a9056906.html

BennyCake

Yes my thinking as well, on both counts.

De Gea has a poor command of his area. Attacking the ball half heartedly and sideways. Very poor. Yet again.

Maroon Manc

It was a foul on De Gea although once again he wasn't strong enough coming for a cross. We're still very much a work in progress with 2 big issues which are giving away ridiculous goals and struggling to break down opposition teams when they sit back. Looking back at the last 5 games we've conceded 8 goals, 6 of them have been really poor goals to give away and all avoidable. I think we're now joint top of teams who've conceded goals from corners, I'm far from convinced about the Lindelof & Maguire partnership either; Maguire would suit playing next to someone quicker but only time will tell. Shaw again was a disappointment which is the norm when up against teams who sit back, offers next to nothing going forward too and don't see that changing either.

Thats 12 points from 12 games against the weaker teams and the lack of a creative midfielder is killing this team, Pogba would have made a difference in many of those games. Martial worries me, he's 24 now so no longer a youngster but isn't having the impact I hoped. There's plenty of talk of Haaland coming next month, he'd certainly offer something different to anyone else we've got.

I thought the ref was poor enough, Davies should have gone for a really late tackle on on Rashford and there was a couple of obvious bookings Everton got away with.

NAG1

Hard to be too critical on DeGea as he has bailed the team out on numerous occasions, yeah he should have been stronger but then again two attackers shouldnt have got away form their markers and got a run on him.

Some of the attacking play was clueless going into the last period, didnt move the ball quick enough and generally lacked ideas in the final third where it counts most.