Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Mick will definitely 100% be back for another year or two. Tomas too....I'd be fairly certain about that!!

Kobo and PC probably considering their options. Both excellent today and have been terrific servants over the years.

Lenny went for experience today and to be fair none of his older brigade let him down.

Sportacus

We played really well in first half, throwing the ball about and looking confident, although we only managed 6 points.  Second half was same old same old.  We got panicky, even Cunningham who was playing with composure started to snatch at things.  If Gallagher gets the goal we might have caused an upset. Run out of legs as well which looked inevitable after 20 minutes.
Special mentions for the goalkeeper, reminds me a bit of Sean Patton in Donegal who is excellent, Conor Murray who took it to them, and Mick McCann who was glorious. He'd look at home in any county jersey. If he was 25 we'd have a bright future, same impact as Murphy in Donegal, controlling the ball and steadying the ship time and  time again.
Al the same, if you were an out of work manager, Antrim must hold some appeal, there are some good players to work with, good ones coming through (who I'd like to have seen more of yesterday) and the only way is up.

Milltown Row2

Agreed, while there was some obvious negatives, this was a huge improvement on the last 2 games.

Mick McCann was possibly man of the match, the award only going to the winners by default.

The snap shots by Paddy was tiredness, there's no denying that, we are not at Cavan's fitness level nor have the S&C of these other teams in Ulster.

We didn't play like a div 4 team and while Cavan's own performance from previous week was down (largely in part to our tactics) we needed to make the most of the breakaway attacks and limit the mistakes, lost possession, drop balls into keeper, not breaking tackles, had we improved that we'd be getting ready for another winnable  game v Fermanagh or Down, strange!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Calm Down

I for one take back a lot of the criticism I handed out in the aftermath of the Wicklow game, the boys gave their all and played to their potential yesterday, we cannot blame the current crop nor management for the S&C of the players, this is a thing which must be built up over years.

If Lenny decides to stay so be it, it's clear the players are backing him, if not I would be happy to support Mr Cassidy in taking the reins.

Let's look at Antrim as a 10 year project starting now by investing in the stars of tomorrow

Belfast GAA man

Yeah much improved yesterday coupLe of questions
- waht happened the big lad from Aghagallon who was very good early in year at the National leagues matches at Glenavy?
- was big Shivers not in panel?
- is Brolly's lad not county level now? always seemed to be excellent player

JimStynes

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 08, 2020, 01:16:24 PM
- waht happened the big lad from Aghagallon who was very good early in year at the National leagues matches at Glenavy?

He got 10 mins at the end yesterday. He's fit and healthy and had an excellent championship for our club and got the better of several of his Antrim team mates. Can't understand why he has hardly got a sniff since then. Shivers and Adam Loughran are two potential county stars if they can be guided properly and given access to all the S&C that the top counties get. Adam was DCU freshers player of the year as well. Studying down there will do him no harm. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 08, 2020, 01:16:24 PM

Nothing happened.
Shivers not on panel
Brollys lad Not good enough?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cranfield

Left it behind us yesterday but an encouraging display and we had the chances. Mick McCann, Paddy hands conor Murray and oisin Kerr our best players. If paddy Gallagher's chance goes in I think we win.

I wouldn't be a big fan of the work Lenny has done to date but how disrespectful that our county chairman would go on a solo run and approach someone to take the team next year. All this is the week before our championship match. Could he not have waited until we were beaten?

Worse still the management track record of the individual in question is very limited and uninspiring  :(

EOC1923

Not much etiquette shown there. Who got approached?

EOC1923

Although in fairness for county teams making a change this unusual year there is very little time to do it. Maybe was just trying to be pro-active

marty34

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 08, 2020, 02:14:13 PM
Although in fairness for county teams making a change this unusual year there is very little time to do it. Maybe was just trying to be pro-active

Before a team is knocked out??

Seems like the man likes the PR.

Antrim need to focus on Div. 4...and get out of it.  That'll be progress next year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on November 08, 2020, 02:52:27 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on November 08, 2020, 02:14:13 PM

Before a team is knocked out??

Seems like the man likes the PR.

Antrim need to focus on Div. 4...and get out of it.  That'll be progress next year.

This was the best year to get out .. no guarantee we'll be in a better position if there is a change in management.

Cranfield

Not sure a few days would have made much of a difference.

I don't think there was going to be a very long q to snap up a rookie with a couple of years club experience which didn't go so well.

Serious lack of ambition from our county chairman. If he was tapping up Jimmy McGuinness or Tony McEntee then I could maybe understand his solo run

Points a Good Score

How did his club experience not go so well? Did he take the team backwards? Should they have won a championship and didn't. Did he alienate players?

Sportacus

Quote from: Cranfield on November 08, 2020, 02:58:57 PM
Not sure a few days would have made much of a difference.

I don't think there was going to be a very long q to snap up a rookie with a couple of years club experience which didn't go so well.

Serious lack of ambition from our county chairman. If he was tapping up Jimmy McGuinness or Tony McEntee then I could maybe understand his solo run
Oh no thanks, we're hard enough to watch without Jim McGuinness getting involved.