China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dabh

Quote from: armaghniac on April 03, 2020, 04:17:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 03, 2020, 03:57:00 PM
I terms of population is Scotland doing better than Ireland? And if so why?

No, they are not doing better, they just weren't reporting all the deaths, there were 126 yesterday, compared to 98 in the ROI.

Up to 172 today

omagh_gael

Some pretty depressing reading here lads

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1246017990304432128?s=19

Its looking more and more likely that this will impact all our lives in a much greater way than most comprehend.

imtommygunn

There's months in this yet. Months.

I don't think there is a complete understanding of how people are catching this at all.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on April 03, 2020, 04:17:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 03, 2020, 03:57:00 PM
I terms of population is Scotland doing better than Ireland? And if so why?

No, they are not doing better, they just weren't reporting all the deaths, there were 126 yesterday, compared to 98 in the ROI.

Weren't reporting deaths? Did they come about and say that? 5.5 million living there
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2020, 04:52:34 PM

I don't think there is a complete understanding of how people are catching this at all.

Cannot comment on how accurate it is. Things are so political in the states that I'm not sure I'd believe much coming out of there without verification elsewhere.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/aerosol-coronavirus-spread-white-house-letter/index.html

QuoteA prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.
i usse an speelchekor

Captain Obvious

The penny hasn't dropped for some yet.

Cunny Funt

Sadly 22 more deaths in ROI today, bringing total to 120, 424 new cases confirmed 4,273 in total

the goal was on

until vaccine becomes widespread shut downs and isolation is the only preventative measure (medicine). They'll be no mass gathering this year unfortunately.

Eamonnca1

I wonder how well our civilization is going to withstand this. Will countries like the UK stay in one piece? Will the EU stay together? Will central banks be tolerant of the debt that builds up and refrain from "punishing" countries that run it up? Will the US wake the hell up and hold a constitutional convention to fix its shortcomings or will it go on with its delusions of being the world's best country at everything? Will manufacturing industry be more distributed rather than everyone relying on China to make everything?

What kind of a world are we looking at on the other side of this?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 03, 2020, 06:55:32 PM
I wonder how well our civilization is going to withstand this. Will countries like the UK stay in one piece? Will the EU stay together? Will central banks be tolerant of the debt that builds up and refrain from "punishing" countries that run it up? Will the US wake the hell up and hold a constitutional convention to fix its shortcomings or will it go on with its delusions of being the world's best country at everything? Will manufacturing industry be more distributed rather than everyone relying on China to make everything?

What kind of a world are we looking at on the other side of this?

Nothing will change in the long run, hopefully they'll put more money into the NHS , prevention and being able to shut things down quicker
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I think plenty will change. There is a recession coming like never before and then who the hell knows when this will clear and people can have some sense of normality. Normal has a new barometer.

armaghniac

The thing that beat Singapore's efforts was the transmission before people became symptomatic. From SARS experience they deployed temperature testing, but this pox is transmitted before you have a temperature, if you ever get a temperature.  This makes it is very difficult.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2020, 07:15:37 PM
I think plenty will change. There is a recession coming like never before and then who the hell knows when this will clear and people can have some sense of normality. Normal has a new barometer.

Struggling to remember no recessions!

dec

I heard today about someone I know through my running club here in New York has died of Covid. 51 years old, no underlying health conditions and he finished his 83rd marathon last November. His cousin posted about his death on Facebook, he was diagnosed but seemed to be recovering but then this.

"This week started off well, still feeling like he was slowly recovering. But Wednesday was a sudden setback, and he spent most of the day in bed. By 4:30am yesterday he was in the ER with some breathing issues. 13 hours later we lost him."

I ran with him quite a few times, he ran around the same middle of the pack pace that I did and as over the last few years he was running multiple marathons a year he was always in shape. I have been working from home for the past 2 weeks so had virtually no chance to pick up anything but in the back of my mind was "Well even if I catch it, it's only really bad for the over 65s". I guess I'll stop thinking that now.

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on April 03, 2020, 03:45:24 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 03, 2020, 03:35:23 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2020, 03:01:38 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 03, 2020, 02:52:26 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 03, 2020, 01:07:48 PM
Years of DUP and SF under-funding the NHS and then not governing for 3 years has left us in a terrible place. They then shunned the health portfolio. Real leadership. Real integrity.
But SF base will love this confrontational MO'N. But people will die I hear you say? This party is comfortable with unnecessary deaths if they can strike a blow against Unionism.

Agreed

I genuinely don't believe that is the case here. I am not a big fan of SF but have seen enough posts from you two to suggest you hate them and that's fair enough but I just feel that, and I rarely feel this about any politician, she is actually being genuine here and not point scoring.

You don't believe that underfunding the NHS and keeping government locked up hasn't hampered the Coronavirus response?
It's debatable as to her reasons for grandstanding now I'll concede that and they may be genuine but whatever about that, this last 8 or more years of firstly mis-rule and lately 3 years of no-rule has left our Health Service the worst of all 4 regions. That cannot be disputed. MO'N and others should take responsibility.

It certainly has but the blame for that lies at the door of George Osbourne.

IIRC around the christmas of the RHI scandal breaking, the SDLP and Alliance at the time were giving the Shinners grief for not pulling the plug on Arlene and the DUP. Then when they did it they're wrong too.

Can't have it both ways unless the memory is selective.

No. No it doesn't. It was the executive who spent / mis spent the money. Don't believe the SF line! There was plenty of money to safely staff the NHS. There's no extra money now and yet they committed to pay parity! The money was skimmed off onto SF and DUP SIF schemes. Back doored into party loyalists pockets.
f**k sake people need to wake up!