Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2020, 11:42:59 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2020, 11:33:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2020, 10:30:10 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2020, 10:25:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2020, 10:11:56 PM

Allow the teachers who teach them to do their job, they'll have done assessments I'd assume over the years, and will be better placed to know how well they'll do.

I am. I am expecting  them to  continue their classes during this time and continue grading stuff and  so on.

Predictive grades will be used here possibly along with previous tests and course work, this is extraordinary times but putting kids through this while not covered all topics is unfair

A levels have components in many cases, the Leaving does not.

They can't teach via the computer. If that's the case why have schools, classes or teachers for that matter

No, they cant teach as well by computer.  I have to hire and train people on complex machines from 2m distance in the coming weeks. I don't know how I'll do it but it will get done. This is our new reality so professions will have to deal with it. Predictive grades? You can't be serious. Sut exams and grade on a curve if you must but give people a fair chance.
[/quote]

30 kids per class of mixed abilities are being taught topics via the internet and expected to sit exams is fair?

Have you kids? Would you be happy for your kids to be put through the biggest exams of their lives to date by online teaching?

My wife is currently using the various methods of teaching mediums, kids aren't logging on some have no internet or limited access or data to use. But yeah those who are disadvantaged will lose out those that require extra tuition can't get it.

Personally I wouldn't be happy for my kids (both going GCSE and A levels)  to be reliant on a teacher putting up lessons and the stuff being taught correctly, kids from previous years have been given a full years learning these haven't.
[/quote]

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/stop-trying-to-be-superheroes-principal-s-message-to-parents-1.4213128
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Will it ever end

But Tommy what is she doing to help solve the problems?

I'm not privy to any public sector procurement but am i totally  off the mark to think all purchasing gets routed & signed off via department of finance? A ministry controller by Sinn Fein?

imtommygunn

In that regard you are probably right and I don't know the answer to your finance question.

I just find it very frustrating to read about testing kits etc and getting flown back to the UK and then we just get scraps. At least she's highlighting it I guess. We do not matter that much to the UK and brexit and this have shown us it.

Will it ever end

Fully agree on your points about test kits - that's one of the great scandals of this whole pandemic - for the heat that's coming their way Randox would do well to issue some form of statement to confirm why they haven't engaged with the local government until now or vice versa as this will undoubtedly play out for many years why they weren't used during this pandemic!

UK don't give one hoot about Northern Ireland - we're an expensive pain in their backside.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Will it ever end on April 03, 2020, 11:33:23 AM
Fully agree on your points about test kits - that's one of the great scandals of this whole pandemic - for the heat that's coming their way Randox would do well to issue some form of statement to confirm why they haven't engaged with the local government until now or vice versa as this will undoubtedly play out for many years why they weren't used during this pandemic!

UK don't give one hoot about Northern Ireland - we're an expensive pain in their backside.

In fairness, bar a written statement they've made that pretty clear over the past few years. If they thought they could wash their hands of it, they would.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Will it ever end on April 03, 2020, 11:33:23 AM

I would love to see what Randox are doing social distancing wise etc for their employees. They are a company with a dubious reputation anyway and I'm not even sure they care.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on April 03, 2020, 10:48:16 AM
Quote from: square_ball on April 03, 2020, 10:31:20 AM
Quote from: the goal was on on April 03, 2020, 10:25:38 AM
For someone who avoided taking the health remit at all costs she fairly want to get her bake involved now. We need someone with solutions rather than blame blame blame. More testing - tell us how, tell us where u propose to get them, who we can work with to develop them. More PPE - Again tell us the current numbers, where the gaps are, orders currently made and quantity, where you aim to distribute them, How you may be able to source more. We are competing USA among others for this stuff so tell us how you are getting ahead of the game. Easy game O Neill is playing IMO. Get to work and each day tell us what u have done.This is what most countries doin there daily briefings not tel lus all the problems

Exactly. I believe she is making valid points but she loses credibility when she isn't offering solutions. If everything was so easy why didn't Sinn Fein take the Health post when it was on offer?

I'd say both the DUP and SF have questions to answer there alright but remember Swann stood down from the UUP leadership to spend more time with his young family and then a few months later he takes up the Health ministers role which is probably the biggest role in Stormont.

Michelle isn't wrong but the frustration from seeing the DUP/UUP/Alliance/SDLP blindly following the now ridiculed London based strategy must have boiled over and she shouldn't be so frank on TV and keep a lid on it.

She's right to call it out.  Following London has been a total and utter failure.  From very start, this should, like foot and mouth, be treated on an all Ireland basis.  It just shows the frustration in the other parties following London instead of adhereing to the WHO etc.

I

Will it ever end

I wouldn't have any issue with calling it out - but surely you've to offer a solution?

You can't shirk the department selection a few weeks beforehand and then go two footed into them in times of crisis without offering answers.

seafoid

The UK is way behind on testing. The wider the gap between Ireland and the UK, the wider the gap between the DUP and SF.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/02/exclusive-systematic-failures-governments-pandemic-strategy/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: Will it ever end on April 03, 2020, 12:14:54 PM
I wouldn't have any issue with calling it out - but surely you've to offer a solution?

You can't shirk the department selection a few weeks beforehand and then go two footed into them in times of crisis without offering answers.

Personally I think Health should have been ring fenced beforehand.

Solution is to put more focus on testing and getting the PPE.  Isn't Randox down the road - isn't O'Neills making ppe gear.  Bloc Blinds in Derry somewhere are making visors etc.  That's only a few local outfits.  Crank up the effort here to get stuff.  Be inventive.  Companies are changing to make stuff.  Aid them whatever way possible.

93-DY-SAM

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-nurses-cannot-legally-treat-covid-19-patients-without-protective-equipment-warns-rcn-39099841.html

Surely this will put the cat amongst the pigeons and light a fire under out politicians arses? They have known for months this was coming and why they haven't this sorted in beyond me. Yes there is a global shortage but lots of local firms are doing good things to try and help and the Executive need to be doing much more on this.

Will it ever end

Industry is crying out to help on the PPE problem - is there a definitive list of what's required / what's been ordered / when what's ordered is due to arrive / where the gaps between what's ordered & what's needed now are & then industry can step in to make up the short fall!!!

Surely far too simplistic!

Rossfan

Quote from: ONeill on April 03, 2020, 09:33:51 AM
Southerners wouldn't be as smart as us up here so I reckon LC would be a doddle.
😆😁😆😁

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Years of DUP and SF under-funding the NHS and then not governing for 3 years has left us in a terrible place. They then shunned the health portfolio. Real leadership. Real integrity.
But SF base will love this confrontational MO'N. But people will die I hear you say? This party is comfortable with unnecessary deaths if they can strike a blow against Unionism.

Milltown Row2

I think the pressure is getting to everyone, especially the health minister, Foster and O'Neill. They are completely overwhelmed and getting information from everyone on what's the best thing to do!

It's a shambles and it's showing, I'd have to say that if Martin and Big Ian we're still in charge we'd have had a different response, but unfortunately we've two ministers that actually despise each other.
Never going to get agreement or a joined up approach.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea