China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: armaghniac on April 06, 2020, 12:33:03 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on April 06, 2020, 12:24:24 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 06, 2020, 12:05:24 PM
An Taoiseach has no real job in these Caretaker and Pandemic days.
There are no major policy decisions, no major future plans or strategies to be developed, no EU summits, no foreign trade missions etc.
Anything a senior Civil Servant can't do will be signed or approved by the relevant Minister.
So if he has medical qualifications let him at a bit of doctoring.

Meanwhile 500 Private Hospital Consultants concerned that their private patients will suffer from them being "Nationalised".
Fair play to them for not mentioning their loss of income from said patients.
I think Leo has been statesmanlike in his approach to date, not least by the reassurance of his calm , controlled and empathetic manner. However, I feel that a one day a week contribution from a doctor who hasn't been registered for 7 years isn't going to make a significant difference to the health service effort. As Taoiseach, He should be totally focussed on areas where he must make an impact. Securing ppe for health workers,cementing policies to prevent spread , demanding/procuring the very best epidemiological advice and treatment , and securing the economy and welfare of the population as a whole , so that we exit this crisis as well as possible. The medical profession can survive without Leo's one day a week, the country needs him focussed on where he is best placed to make an impact. If he was using this as a PR exercise , it's unlikely to impress for the reasons highlighted above.

This is a PR exercise, but not necessarily one designed only  to promote Leo. By getting involved he is showing the importance of the situation and is supporting the medical people.

Indeed... and if it gives him a bit more of a clout with the brain-deads up here, i.e. "Arlene, you'd do well to remember I'm a qualified medical doctor before spouting your shite over listening to Boris 'I shake hands' Johnson and his 'scientific advice' when it comes to deciding whats best for the island", then we might be thankful for it.
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

Quote from: Itchy on April 06, 2020, 12:28:36 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 06, 2020, 11:53:07 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 06, 2020, 09:15:56 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 06, 2020, 08:58:42 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 06, 2020, 08:07:05 AM
Quote from: mouview on April 06, 2020, 12:17:54 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 05, 2020, 10:09:32 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on April 05, 2020, 10:00:59 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 05, 2020, 09:42:36 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 05, 2020, 09:25:30 PM
Both our Taoiseach and british prime minister will be in hospital next week.

One is a leader, other a follower.

Well I think An Taoiseach should concentrate on being An Taoiseach which is the most important job in Ireland at the moment. A PR gimmick of him re-listing as a doctor is just that, a popularity gimmick. BTW - he said he will be doing phone assessments so doubt he will be in a hospital.

As for Boris, unfortunately for him he is reaping what he sowed now.

Every Health Centre in the country is crying out for more GP's to triage people by telephone. Even if he's doing it for a few hours a week. Fair play to him

He didnt pay nurses what they deserved before this. Now he's going to be a doctor again. If he'd gone about it quietly then maybe you could give him benefit of the doubt but No every media outlet runs with it simultaneously this evening. He's a PR addict and he's hoping we are all too stupid to see it. He is probably right.

Maybe he did want to go about it quietly, but word got out anyway. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt for once?

Yeh right, word just got out. Have you ever followed Varadkar on twitter? After many of his tweets you will see obvious  bots chiming in telling him what a great job he is doing. You know them, they have zero followers and themselves follow 10-15 people. Media spin is a huge part of how he operates and in the southern media he has huge control over a lot of them.

Varadkar has been doing a decent job but this is just cynical manipulation of a terrible situation. He should be focusing solely on being An Taoiseach, dealing with this crisis and forming a government with his best buds in FF.

He has learnt quite a lot from Sinn Féin to be honest.

Regarding what, bots? Plus, I am not sure when SF had complete control over the Southern Media so maybe you could explain that too.
He's a long long way to go before he can match SF on their social media.

And you haven't read much of the Irish Times over the last few years if you think Fine Gael controls them!!
Just because the Times thinks there's still a stench over many in SF, doesnt mean FG put them up to it.

Look the establishment media look after their friends in the establishment -  you have to be brain dead not to see this or part of the established main parties and just not want to see it.

Rossfan - An Taoiseach has a serious amount of stuff he needs to be doing in a time national crisis and during a Pandemic. How you could even suggest otherwise I just cannot understand.
Such as....??
He's a Caretaker just keeping the machinery of Government functioning till someone is elected.
Any functions he has to fulfil can be done in an hour or 2 every day.
The Minister for Health and his senior people are there to deal with the crisis in a full time hands on way.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on April 06, 2020, 01:10:04 PM

Well I think An Taoiseach should concentrate on being An Taoiseach which is the most important job in Ireland at the moment. A PR gimmick of him re-listing as a doctor is just that, a popularity gimmick. BTW - he said he will be doing phone assessments so doubt he will be in a hospital.

Every Health Centre in the country is crying out for more GP's to triage people by telephone. Even if he's doing it for a few hours a week. Fair play to him

He didnt pay nurses what they deserved before this. Now he's going to be a doctor again. If he'd gone about it quietly then maybe you could give him benefit of the doubt but No every media outlet runs with it simultaneously this evening. He's a PR addict and he's hoping we are all too stupid to see it. He is probably right.

Maybe he did want to go about it quietly, but word got out anyway. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt for once?

Yeh right, word just got out. Have you ever followed Varadkar on twitter? After many of his tweets you will see obvious  bots chiming in telling him what a great job he is doing. You know them, they have zero followers and themselves follow 10-15 people. Media spin is a huge part of how he operates and in the southern media he has huge control over a lot of them.

Varadkar has been doing a decent job but this is just cynical manipulation of a terrible situation. He should be focusing solely on being An Taoiseach, dealing with this crisis and forming a government with his best buds in FF.

Regarding what, bots? Plus, I am not sure when SF had complete control over the Southern Media so maybe you could explain that too.

And you haven't read much of the Irish Times over the last few years if you think Fine Gael controls them!!
Just because the Times thinks there's still a stench over many in SF, doesnt mean FG put them up to it.

Look the establishment media look after their friends in the establishment -  you have to be brain dead not to see this or part of the established main parties and just not want to see it.

Rossfan - An Taoiseach has a serious amount of stuff he needs to be doing in a time national crisis and during a Pandemic. How you could even suggest otherwise I just cannot understand.
Such as....??
He's a Caretaker just keeping the machinery of Government functioning till someone is elected.
Any functions he has to fulfil can be done in an hour or 2 every day.
The Minister for Health and his senior people are there to deal with the crisis in a full time hands on way.

I've never been Taoiseach (and I expect you havent either) but I find it hard to believe he has nothing for doing. As I said before, in the place I work I am not a emergency response person but the last few weeks everything I have been doing is Covid related and that includes coming in early to meet shifts, staying till all hours to meet other shifts fielding constant questions, fears, listening to ideas and implementing ideas. I cannot believe that An Taoiseach has nothing to be at in a national emergency where hundreds (so far) are dying. I find it hard to believe that you actually believe what you are writing there.

Rossfan

You of little faith Itchy.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

The mother of Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has died after contracting coronavirus.

tiempo

Reading there that house prices in England predicted to fall by 3%

Struggle to see that being the case if this ends up being an economic depression as seems likely

Was a 15% drop in 2008 off the back of a recession

Would expect 15%+ drop this time surely

Any thoughts?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 06, 2020, 03:18:21 PM
The mother of Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has died after contracting coronavirus.

Very sad :(

I would say the same as you Tiempo. I think the mother of all recessions is coming.

Christmas Lights

Why is the thread China Coronavirus?  Seems very racist, can we perhaps get that changed in the subject bar?

mouview

What 'establishment media'? If anything, Varadkar and FG have been very unfairly treated by the majority of the mainstream media, who have been constantly sniping at them prior to and since the GE and have gotten damn all credit for the lengths they've taken us since 2008.

Taylor

Quote from: tiempo on April 06, 2020, 04:15:33 PM

Struggle to see that being the case if this ends up being an economic depression as seems likely

Any thoughts?

That 3% may be the average - the rich will still have money so the expensive properties around London and the likes could hold their value.

I would expect the drop in working class areas to be much more than even 15%.

Once the mortgage payment freezes stop, crime will increase massively as people get more and more desperate to maintain their standard of lifestyle or indeed to actually live

marty34

Quote from: Taylor on April 06, 2020, 04:47:11 PM

Any thoughts?

That 3% may be the average - the rich will still have money so the expensive properties around London and the likes could hold their value.

Once the mortgage payment freezes stop, crime will increase massively as people get more and more desperate to maintain their standard of lifestyle or indeed to actually live

I thought it'd be more also - especially as time goes on.  Unemployment will rocket and house prices will drop.

People were living above their means before this, just treading water.  I know interest rates at at rock bottom, and will be for a while, but if one person in a household is laid off, then it'll be tough.

I read somewhere recently that 1 in 5 family rent so there will be problems with the lack of houses down the line - if houses are not built.  Are sites open even?

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Taylor on April 06, 2020, 04:47:11 PM

Any thoughts?

House prices have only recently started to recover from 2008 and there is still a considerable amount of negative equity about. If you are talking about a 15% fall on current pricing that is going to leave a lot of people already in trouble and having spent the last 10+ years trying to get their way out of it in much much bigger trouble. The financial fallout from this will be enormous, greater than any of us can comprehend at the minute. But that can't be the sole driver for leaving 1000's of people to needless die. It's a fine line but I'd always come out on the side of health V economy. Your health is your wealth and that has never been more true than the present time.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Christmas Lights on April 06, 2020, 04:28:41 PM
Why is the thread China Coronavirus?  Seems very racist, can we perhaps get that changed in the subject bar?

Probably because when the thread was created the virus was only in China. Up to the OP to change the title of this thread.

Itchy

Quote from: mouview on April 06, 2020, 04:33:23 PM

What 'establishment media'? If anything, Varadkar and FG have been very unfairly treated by the majority of the mainstream media, who have been constantly sniping at them prior to and since the GE and have gotten damn all credit for the lengths they've taken us since 2008.

What a load of bollox. Did you watch any of the pre election coverage? Yesterday Mary Lou and the rest of the SF TDs refused to take a pay rise that comes into effect for TDs saying it was not appropriate. I only know this as I follow Mary Lou on Twitter. You could say that is a gimmick too but lets compare the media reaction...

Google it - https://www.google.com/search?q=sinn+fein+pay+rise&rlz=1C1GCEB_enIE828IE828&oq=sinn+fein+pay+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l2.2726j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Only Irish Examiner covers this story.

Google Varadkar going to be a doctor...

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEB_enIE828IE828&sxsrf=ALeKk039r-r8BgR7S17Yn3olIDO2l7mIcA%3A1586188749326&ei=zVGLXpTBE8O6tQagw7WADA&q=Taoiseach+doctor&oq=Taoiseach+doctor&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIFCAAQxAI6BAgAEEc6BAgjECc6BQgAEJECOgcIABCDARBDOgUIABCDAToECAAQQzoCCAA6BAgAEAM6CggAEJECEEYQ-wE6BggAEBYQHkoxCBcSLTBnMTgwZzE3MGcyMTNnMTY5ZzE3M2cxNjRnMTUyZzE1NWcxNzFnMTYwZzEwOEobCBgSFzBnMWcxZzFnMWcxZzFnMWcxZzFnNWczUIfIBFjf9ARguvcEaABwAXgAgAHPAYgBkRSSAQYwLjE1LjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjU28zHldToAhVDXc0KHaBhDcAQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

Spot the difference.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 06, 2020, 05:01:23 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on April 06, 2020, 04:28:41 PM

Probably because when the thread was created the virus was only in China. Up to the OP to change the title of this thread.
Nothing racist about it, it originated in China. Just because it's China doesn't mean everything is automatically racist. Is the Spanish Flu racist towards Spaniards? Didn't think so