2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

Good post Nameless. Some people are still living in the glory days of 2003 and think that Carlow should be taken for granted. 2003 is long gone and we have slowly been on the way down since. We have went really poor altogether in the past two or three years which has brought us to this point. The majority of our key players are moving on and the younger lads are simply not good enough. More and more of the older gang are coming back into the team as none of these "new faces" are up to it. In the next two or three years who will replace these old gang like Begley Quigley Conway Johnno Timmons Booth Strong Donoher Munnelly etc. I just don't think this slide is over yet and it's going to be hard to make significant progress with the age profile and the lack of talent coming through.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Not sure I'd agree that we belong in Div4, as I said before it was only the width of a post against Offaly that was the difference in us going down or staying in Div3.
Having said that I think it probably was the best thing that could have happened to us at the time. We were becoming very comfortable playing at a level to keep us in Div3 and that wasn't a good thing.

We now have what seems to be a better management team with a plan and realistic expectations of where we should be in the next few years.
We have now got used to winning and that can become a habit, so much so that we can become hard to beat. We haven't really been tested in this division yet but Carlow should provide a much stiffer test than we have had so far and it will be interesting to see how we cope with that. There is also a prize of promotion and a trip to Croke Park in this game so its all to play for.

I do believe we are good enough to win this one and set up a tasty final next week but if we don't a few questions will be asked and answers will have to be given. It would be great for our confidence if we can go through the league unbeaten and win the final, that to me would have to be seen as a successful first term for this management team and give us some hope going into the championship.

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on March 23, 2018, 01:11:56 PM
More and more of the older gang are coming back into the team as none of these "new faces" are up to it. In the next two or three years who will replace these old gang like Begley Quigley Conway Johnno Timmons Booth Strong Donoher Munnelly etc. I just don't think this slide is over yet and it's going to be hard to make significant progress with the age profile and the lack of talent coming through.
Yet. None of the new faces are up to it, YET. You think.

Give them a f**king chance will you. f**k sake. What are we f**king like in this county. Oh yea, f**k them out, make way for the next lot. Jesus its enough to give someone piles listening to some of this shit. God help the lads reading it. Stick at it boys, prove all the f**kers wrong.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Don Draper on March 23, 2018, 01:54:55 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on March 23, 2018, 01:11:56 PM
More and more of the older gang are coming back into the team as none of these "new faces" are up to it. In the next two or three years who will replace these old gang like Begley Quigley Conway Johnno Timmons Booth Strong Donoher Munnelly etc. I just don't think this slide is over yet and it's going to be hard to make significant progress with the age profile and the lack of talent coming through.
Yet. None of the new faces are up to it, YET. You think.

Give them a f**king chance will you. f**k sake. What are we f**king like in this county. Oh yea, f**k them out, make way for the next lot. Jesus its enough to give someone piles listening to some of this shit. God help the lads reading it. Stick at it boys, prove all the f**kers wrong.

This ....

I can't wait for sunday I'm going to Laois games for 30 years or more ...I've seen good times and bad.

I remember the Leinster final of 1985 and how big a think it was for the Laois team with the hurlers also going well at the time .

Then there was 1986 I was on the field that day as a nipper

I remember beating Louth in the reply in 1991 and another Leinster final

Then the barren years before the minors came along and brought a great boost to the county starting with the unlucky 1995 team and so on and so on...

We got a great group of players from the national schools set up and the Cumann na mBunscol at the time which was so well ran and ahead of most counties at the time a lot of great people from the big national schools right down to the two teacher schools must take credit for that I remember The Rock,Derrylamogue,The Swan,Barrowhouse, Clonaghadoo ,Barnashrone and even Castlecuff had fine players at the time and I used watch the other finals with interest after ours and the quality from the top rank right down to the two teacher schools was incredible at the time.

With that came a crop of players with unreal talent I remember going for trials for Laois teams back then and the quality that was on show and being left out was unreal.There was a freak crop of players from all clubs even a few hurling clubs had great great footballers at the time who were unfortunate not to make panels.

We didn't make the most of what we had but it did breed a new generation of players like JOL etc who were inspired by the team of 2003 etc.

We are where we are for a reason the league tables don't lie.

I think however progress is slowly being made I know we certainly wasted a few years talent wise for whatever reasons its easy blame each manager or players commitment etc etc...No point in going over it now.

Its time to knuckle down and get the job done this sunday.I for one am looking forward to it should be a cracking atmosphere down their with our neighbours on a high.Beating us would cap it off for them but I believe we will do enough to get another craic at them in croker which would be great experience for some of these players!!

The current crop deserve all our support and while we pay money and have the right to be critical what is the point ...yes we can say a lod played poorly or it wasn't his day or maybe he isn't up to it but writing off lads before the game is just too easy on a forum like this.

Roll on sunday I hope Mark Timmons leads by example as he usually does and we get a win to get us back to division 3 and the bonus of a little trip to croker!!!!

LAOIS LAOIS LAOIS
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

5 Portlaoise lads starting is a big turnaround from a couple of years back. No matter what club you're with, we all know having a good chunk of the Portlaoise panel was needed to enhance the laois squad going forward.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Ive asked this question about 5 times here and I no-one seems to know the answer but Ill ask it one more time seeing we are talking about the Portlaoise lads on the panel.
Is Paul Cahillane involved this year, I know he was there at the start but haven't seen him play yet???
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

O moore parklife

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on March 23, 2018, 08:27:16 PM
Ive asked this question about 5 times here and I no-one seems to know the answer but Ill ask it one more time seeing we are talking about the Portlaoise lads on the panel.
Is Paul Cahillane involved this year, I know he was there at the start but haven't seen him play yet???
Yes but has had  a woeful run of injuries to date

The Boy Wonder

It's a pity to read coarse language on a Laois GAA Forum or indeed any GAA Forum - surely any literate person can make their point without resorting to profanities. People that might normally be inclined to contribute to this forum would be put off by this juvenile behaviour.

I remember Huey from the Laoistalk forum a number of years ago predicting Laois's decline - I had hoped he was wrong but he was proved right unfortunately.

We are in a transition at the moment - the experienced members of the panel are ageing whilst the younger element are being introduced in the modest level of Div 4.

Re. Carlow - they have upped their game and are no pushover these days - Dublin and Monaghan can attest to that.

Don Draper

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on March 23, 2018, 11:14:20 PM
It's a pity to read coarse language on a Laois GAA Forum or indeed any GAA Forum - surely any literate person can make their point without resorting to profanities. People that might normally be inclined to contribute to this forum would be put off by this juvenile behaviour.

I remember Huey from the Laoistalk forum a number of years ago predicting Laois's decline - I had hoped he was wrong but he was proved right unfortunately.

We are in a transition at the moment - the experienced members of the panel are ageing whilst the younger element are being introduced in the modest level of Div 4.

Re. Carlow - they have upped their game and are no pushover these days - Dublin and Monaghan can attest to that.
Yerraya f**k it be grand

Tony

The boy wonder - I agree about the profanities and people (some young, some old) being put off by that, but don is a big man and big men need to swear from the comfort of behind their keyboard to feel like big men. He's some hard man, he is. No regard for other users - seems to have very low emotional IQ. So let them at it.

But regarding Huey predicting the decline of Laois GAA - in fairness any man with one eye could see that happening from about 2008 onwards.

Anyway, that's all the past. 2018 is positive so far, albeit in div 4. My thought always was: no matter what the quality of the panel, I'll be content once I see a Laois team give their all for the cause. We don't have a vintage Laois team currently in terms of raw talent, but we're giving it all we can, and I can't ask for more as a supporter. Fair play to Sugrue for the job he's doing and the culture he's implementing within the squad. There's definitely more of a "feel good factor" surrounding the squad and supporters this year. Let's hope we can finish it off and keep our foot on the pedal. Looking forward to seeing how lads like Carroll and Piggott do this weekend. Glynn too, he was rusty at start of League but he'll be hoping for a big match tomorrow.

Unison

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on March 23, 2018, 11:14:20 PM

I agree with regard to the profanities, although I have not been entirely blameless myself.

The PRO

Quote from: Laois fan on March 23, 2018, 01:01:04 PM
Quote from: The PRO on March 23, 2018, 09:04:14 AM
Quote from: portlaoisekid on March 23, 2018, 08:30:41 AM
Quote from: The PRO on March 22, 2018, 10:39:27 PM
Just seen the team. I was thinking we'd be well able to take care of Carlow but not so sure now. Benny Carroll at 11? Jesus.
Classy PRO, real classy to make little of a player through the anonymity of this forum.
You're right. Hands up. Shouldn't have singled him out. Don't like the look of the team at all. Just not convinced that Carroll, Piggott, Glynn are good enough. Hope I'm wrong.
so your apology goes from singling out one newcomer to having a go at two others aswell ...classy
It's called a discussion board. To discuss GAA and on this sub board, Laois GAA.
I didn't as you put it have a go at the three chaps in question. All I did was express my doubt as to whether they are good enough for the Laois senior football team tomorrow.
I hardly cast aspersions on the chaps themselves. It's actually great to see lads from Portarlington and Portlaoise on the team by the way. For too long they haven't been contributing as many lads as they should.
Good luck to all the Laois team tomorrow. I really hope we win. The thoughts of another year of Division 4 football are dreadful.

OTF

We are capable of putting up a big score with that inside forward line as the half forwards and midfield are decent. However as Sugrue continues to look at defenders and the absence of a defensive plan as YET I think Carlow with a home game and the pressure off can score at least 3 goals against that defense.

I predict a narrow Carlow win.

ILikeStrawberryJam

The table doesnt lie. We are where we deserve to be. Division 4 is our lot.
We have been average playing the 5 worst teams in the country.
Carlow are a bit of a step up. I think it will be close. Dismissing Carlow would be foolish. Their curve is upward,  ours
Has been downwards for a long time.
Its impossible really to know where we are at. Sunday will tell us more.

Best of luck to the lads.

Im not adverse to the odd rant but I agree that some of the pointless swearing takes away from the forum.

BallyroanAbu

My gra, on this.  Yes you can use profanities on the discussion forum, the overuse of such language probably makes you less likely to be listened to.   As for criticism of players or management, what's the point of discussing anything if there is no criticism.  PRO has held his hands up, for what not rating a player?  It's not really a sin on the scale of things, personally I like the player as many others do.  But if we don't have debate this forum has no use.  It's up to the moderators and our own moral code to keep things at a reasonable level.

PRO did nothing wrong even though I don't agree with his call.

In all reality this forum is quite reasoned even though we don't agree with each other.  This is an opportunity for different views to have their say some may do it more eloquently than others.