Tyrone GAA Dublin supporters branch - golf day

Started by lynchbhoy, June 16, 2010, 04:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

anyone going to this ?
July 10th
12 holes , par 3 course in howth?

I may go  - will be a great excuse to mishit a few shots and wrap the driver around the heads of a few of these red neck hoors !
;)

The Real Laoislad

Your some Golfer if you need a driver on a Par 3 course  :-*
You'll Never Walk Alone.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 16, 2010, 04:57:56 PM
you misuderstood....I'm not bringing the drivers to hit golf balls !
;) :D

and I am a brutal golfer. I am to golf what english goalkeepers are to shotstopping !

Zapatista

Don't think I can make the Golf but might make pints afterwards.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Forewarned is forearmed lynchbhoy, with machetes ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 17, 2010, 01:12:45 AM
Forewarned is forearmed lynchbhoy, with machetes ;)
youll not putt too much with a machete Fear !

(though you will undoubtedly have more success with one than i'll have with a feckin golf club)

Billys Boots

There are 3 of those holes over 200m in length - you shouldn't need a driver, but you'll need to be long enough on your irons to hit those greens especially the ninth (220m).
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 17, 2010, 09:19:43 AM

There are 3 of those holes over 200m in length - you shouldn't need a driver, but you'll need to be long enough on your irons to hit those greens especially the ninth (220m).

220m with an Iron!!! Jaysus ye Longford boys are made of stern stuff, I'd be lucky to hit 200m with my driver  :(

Mind you I'd pay to watch Lynchbhoy play golf, going by his 5-a-side skills I wouldn't say he has a gentle touch around the greens..
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 17, 2010, 10:21:06 AM

220m with an Iron!!! Jaysus ye Longford boys are made of stern stuff, I'd be lucky to hit 200m with my driver  :(

Mind you I'd pay to watch Lynchbhoy play golf, going by his 5-a-side skills I wouldn't say he has a gentle touch around the greens..

Lilys by name, lilys by nature.  I thought all rugger lads had big shoulders.   ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 17, 2010, 10:21:06 AM

honestly I actually have 'some' skill in five a side by comparison, I am truely the vinny jones of the golf course - I am that bad. A lad playing his first game of golf beat my score last year !

you are completley correct in your assumption Dinny.
I can get up the fairway handy enough with a couple of drives and long shots, but its near the greens that the tippy, tappy, chippy stuff fecks me up badly.
I just dont do 'short' or 'subtle' !
:(

thebigfella

A pro would probably hit a 5 wood 210-225 metres (or I guess 2 iron/hybrid equivalent), you'd need to be hitting you irons very good then to reach those greens of the tee :D 

Actually most average golfers over estimate their distance with the driver too, I've read quite a few articles which put the average drive for an amateur in round 200-220 metre mark. Might not be a bad idea to throw the driver in the bag ;)

Billys Boots

Sorry folks, I don't want to give the impression that I could hit that 220m green with an iron - last time I played a 4 hybrid off the tee and was 10m short.   :)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thebigfella on June 17, 2010, 11:41:33 AM

A pro would probably hit a 5 wood 210-225 metres (or I guess 2 iron/hybrid equivalent), you'd need to be hitting you irons very good then to reach those greens of the tee :D 

Actually most average golfers over estimate their distance with the driver too, I've read quite a few articles which put the average drive for an amateur in round 200-220 metre mark. Might not be a bad idea to throw the driver in the bag ;)
Another way at looking at it is, most ordinary golfers are very eratic with their driver and I doubt to many of us could get a ball hit with a driver to stop on a green, therefore using something like a hybrid or a 3 iron as I would while it might not get you on the green it should at least get you within 40mts of it unless you are a very very short hitter, leaving you with a short chip on the green and maybe getting a par or a 4 which wouldn't be bad, use your driver and you could be way over on another fairway or in trees.
I reckon I would actually hit my 3 iron 220 to be honest.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thebigfella

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 17, 2010, 12:37:33 PM

Quote from: thebigfella on June 17, 2010, 11:41:33 AM

Another way at looking at it is, most ordinary golfers are very eratic with their driver and I doubt to many of us could get a ball hit with a driver to stop on a green, therefore using something like a hybrid or a 3 iron as I would while it might not get you on the green it should at least get you within 40mts of it unless you are a very very short hitter, leaving you with a short chip on the green and maybe getting a par or a 4 which wouldn't be bad, use your driver and you could be way over on another fairway or in trees.

Or easier again 2 Pitching Wedge if it's a 220 par 4 we are talking about? The above was on the assumption the 220 metre 9th is par 3, as the 1st post in the thread stated it was the Par 3 short course being played. Getting on in one with an iron for an average hitter would be tough enough.

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 17, 2010, 12:37:33 PM
I reckon I would actually hit my 3 iron 220 to be honest.

Average or could hit but losing accuracy? As your talking aound 240 yards, thats serious club head spead to be generating but also controlling it too.

I know I could easily average around 205-210m accurately, with the right ball too, using my 3 hybrid (I also get more distance on the hybrid than 3 iron) but would have no problems hitting 220+. Pointless though hitting it 220+ as I lose the control and accuracy I want by using the 3 in the first place.

The Real Laoislad

No not average as that would be serious distance for average 3iron, but I would be able hit it that far with a 3 iron on a good day, for instance last weekend I hit a 200mtr par 3 with a 4 iron, personally I find it easier control my long irons than a hybrid, I have great confidence using my irons off the tee..
You'll Never Walk Alone.