2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo Club 51

Div 1 league table after rd5

Wildweasel74

What are the dublin pen pics out of interest.?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2018, 03:44:30 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 12, 2018, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2018, 12:25:30 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 12, 2018, 11:18:46 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2018, 06:39:08 PM
Quote from: ashman on March 11, 2018, 05:09:13 PM
To be honest football is now like the all blacks playing all Ireland league teams .  They are at another level to every other team .  The authorities have created a monster .
The Dubs are loving lording it over Kerry. It was the other way around in the 80s. And it won't last forever.
seafoid, mo chara buan, sometimes you do live up to your handle and this is one of those times. ;D
Can you tell us why you think there is a connection between what happened in the 80s and what is happening now?
And while I'm at it, what makes you think Dublin's dominance won't last forever.
Because Cody couldn't do it . Real Madrid can't do it 
I lived through the Kilkenny stranglehold and saw them in 3 all Ireland finals  They were operating at a higher level like the Dubs now. The more all Irelands the better they got. The more experience. The more insight. The more playing as a team. And the further away they got from the competition the further away individual players got from potential replacements. The team worked as a perfect machine  . You couldn't develop someone to replace Tommy Walsh . So they didn't. 
And the wheels fell off after the core players retired. The backs now need years to get back to the level of 2014. Success on that scale breeds guaranteed failure.
Fair enough but Kilkenny didn't have any material advantage over their peers. Kilkenny has a population of less than 100,000 and has only 12 senior clubs. Dublin has a population of 1.345 million, which amounts to one third the population of the Irish Republic.
The Kilkenny county board was so piss poor that players had to stand outside churches one Sunday with plastic buckets to cadge money to pay for their own holiday abroad. They got beaten in the end, same as Kerry in the 80s, because they didn't have enough players of sufficient quality to replace the Tyrell and Shefflin, to name but two, when they had to make way for younger men.
Dublin has no problem whatever with younger players lining up to challenge for first team places. That will keep the older players on their toes and will ensure that there will be scraps for places from here to eternity. Ten of the team that beat Kerry in 2011 weren't first teamers in last year's final and yet we are asked to believe that Dublin's success can be put down to the excellence of the present players. When Cluckpo and Berno and Dermo and the likes retire, Dublin will be just another ordinary team again or so we are asked to believe.
That reminds me of Con Houlihan's grandfather's turf spade. According to legend, that particular sléan was still as good as the day it was bought over 100 years before. It only had three new handles and four new heads but it was still the same as ever.
Large swathes of BAC are GAA wastelands so population means less than it does on paper.

There is a team sport dynamic that all great teams are subject to. Liverpool never got back winning League titles. AC Milan fell off their perch. So did Man Utd.

It is a pity Mayo didn't have 2 more scoring forwards that they could have nicked 2 or 3 of the Sams they played for. Other counties will emerge. That is the way it will always be. I am sure Kerry are not happy.
What I've bolded is the main cause of concern for Dublin's officialdom and for the GAA in general. In simple terms, the future of the Association is under more threat in Dublin than anywhere else in the country and present attempts to address this are doing as much long term harm as good.
In spite of the senior team's high profile, the Gah in the capital is losing market share and this is why John Costello made such an impassioned plea for more money, even if that means leaving everywhere else short in his last report to the county's AGM.
But, and this is crucial, the development grant aid that other counties crib about is not being spent to best effect. The emphasis is on developing young players' skill levels, which is fair enough but those schemes aren't designed to attract an uncommitted youngster to join any club.
The population of Dublin increased by 17% between the census years of 2011 and 2016 but there was no such increase in the number of clubs or registered players in the county.
I asked a few questions about this some weeks ago and the only new club anyone could think of was Tyrellstown and it seems that one is in danger of losing its pitches.
As far as I can see, the high profile of the current senior hasn't brought about a significant increase in the numbers wanting to join clubs.
When you have just one team to represent around one third of the population in the republic, you can't expect large scale support from the general public.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 12, 2018, 05:44:28 PM
Quote from: Hound on March 12, 2018, 04:12:37 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 12, 2018, 02:51:37 PM

Kilkenny players worked for a living

where does this come from that Dublin players don't work?

there's plenty you can legitimately moan about without making up nonsense to make yourself look like an idiot.

This is about the tenth time this particular poster has dragged this point up from the fever swamps of the Dublin Dominance conspiracy theories.

Very hard to take when you see a load of them on the same commuter train day after day.

I heard they all get sponsored Leap cards.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 12, 2018, 01:03:51 PM
Poorest performance of the league so far by Galway yesterday in the first half, weren't at the pitch of the game at all really I thought, some of the poor shot selections (e.g. Kyne) and mistakes (e.g. Brannigan double hop when in a good position) in the first 35 were not what they had displayed in the first four games where good economy in front of the posts was generally the norm, a lot of bad wides yesterday.
Monaghan were looking much the more likely winners heading into the tail end of the first half. The sending off completely changed the terms of engagement for the match and - to be fair - Galway exploited the man advantage very successfully in the second half.

What to do with Shane Walsh? Will he ever learn to just do the simple things well? You don't have to showcase your talent at all time, the easy pass or shot that 90% of players can execute is sometimes all that's necessary in a situation. It's getting to the point where it should have clicked for him at this stage, he's either going to be a 4/10 or a 9/10 depending on the day, a 7/10 every day might be more preferable. While harsh it was a bit of a mé feiner performance from him yesterday, it's just more frustrating when someone has the ability and doesn't execute I guess.
Overall again securing primary possession is a continuing problem, I don't know if the solution will be found this year by the looks of it, it's the one real killer looking to the summer, we'd give any team outside of the top 4 a game if this problem was fixed or at least mitigated to an extent that is wasn't the glaring problem.
It's good to have complaints while winning but I'm sure that it's the same things that the management and players are focussed on themselves. If you'd offered this set of results at the start of the league to any Galway football fan we'd have took the hand off you. Contrast Galway with our fellow 2017 Division 2 finalists, it might only be the league but there is nothing to be said for losing every week.
Kyne and Kerins played very well defensively yesterday, Heaney was also excellent I thought, what a superb score from the mark and long sideline run in the first half, if it was a Kerryman or Dub that scored it their media heads would be fawning over it. Comer was effective when in possession, Brannigan was back to decent form in the second half as well.

I'll be heading to Salthill with trepidation for next week but it's better that the weak links are fully exposed ahead of May 13th. People are talking about psychological damage from taking a pasting from Dublin but they battered Kerry by 12 (it could have been 18/20) yesterday and they can do it to any team.
I could be very wrong but I don't think there's any better prep for the team ahead of May 13th than two matches against the Dubs, trying to match them is the standard Mayo have lifted themselves to every year since 2012, this is where Galway are looking to get to.

Speaking of Dublin, I was in CP for the Dublin-Kerry match yesterday and the bottom line is that unless Mayo have a massive performance in a win or go home game next August/September against the Dubs, I can't see them being caught by anyone, they toyed with Kerry yesterday and taking into account the list of players that didn't tog out for them, it's hard to believe how far out in front of everyone they are in terms of quality throughout a squad.
The Galway lads will surely know what the gold standard to aspire to is after the league final on the 1st April, hopefully Galway Aprils Fools day related headlines on the match reports won't be what we're just looking at on the 2nd!

Spot on as usual, would have too see some stats but thought their was their was a slight improvement on kickouts in the first half or more likely it was my imagination. There's no point in over analysing the 2nd half kickouts because of the extra man. The 2nd half did show that when Galway applied more pressure to Monaghans kickouts they did well on them and got plenty of scores as a direct result of winning them. I'm expecting Galway to really struggle for possession on Sunday which should lead to a comfortable Dublin win, I'm hoping this will lead to a change in strategy going forward with the kickouts.

It appears its only Galway who will suffer from a hammering by the Dubs, they've dished out hidings to practically everyone the last few years but its only it appears its only Galway who will suffer a huge psychological blow because of it. If Galway get beat by Mayo on the May the 13th it won't be down to two hammerings at the hands of the Dubs.

This is a young Galway panel who hopefully in a couple of years with 3 or 4 more additions may have a chance of challenging for the big prize.

dublin7

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 12, 2018, 10:24:06 PM

For what it's worth here's a few of them:

Cluxton=secondary school teacher
MacCauley=primary school teacher
O'Sullivan=tax consultant for PWC
Fenton=physio

They're all on the Dublin website for anyone interested. Also provides details of medals won so anyone can do a cost per medal for each player if they want for their arguments for financial doping

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 13, 2018, 10:03:29 AM
Poorest performance of the league so far by Galway yesterday in the first half, weren't at the pitch of the game at all really I thought, some of the poor shot selections (e.g. Kyne) and mistakes (e.g. Brannigan double hop when in a good position) in the first 35 were not what they had displayed in the first four games where good economy in front of the posts was generally the norm, a lot of bad wides yesterday.
Monaghan were looking much the more likely winners heading into the tail end of the first half. The sending off completely changed the terms of engagement for the match and - to be fair - Galway exploited the man advantage very successfully in the second half.

What to do with Shane Walsh? Will he ever learn to just do the simple things well? You don't have to showcase your talent at all time, the easy pass or shot that 90% of players can execute is sometimes all that's necessary in a situation. It's getting to the point where it should have clicked for him at this stage, he's either going to be a 4/10 or a 9/10 depending on the day, a 7/10 every day might be more preferable. While harsh it was a bit of a mé feiner performance from him yesterday, it's just more frustrating when someone has the ability and doesn't execute I guess.
Overall again securing primary possession is a continuing problem, I don't know if the solution will be found this year by the looks of it, it's the one real killer looking to the summer, we'd give any team outside of the top 4 a game if this problem was fixed or at least mitigated to an extent that is wasn't the glaring problem.
It's good to have complaints while winning but I'm sure that it's the same things that the management and players are focussed on themselves. If you'd offered this set of results at the start of the league to any Galway football fan we'd have took the hand off you. Contrast Galway with our fellow 2017 Division 2 finalists, it might only be the league but there is nothing to be said for losing every week.
Kyne and Kerins played very well defensively yesterday, Heaney was also excellent I thought, what a superb score from the mark and long sideline run in the first half, if it was a Kerryman or Dub that scored it their media heads would be fawning over it. Comer was effective when in possession, Brannigan was back to decent form in the second half as well.

I'll be heading to Salthill with trepidation for next week but it's better that the weak links are fully exposed ahead of May 13th. People are talking about psychological damage from taking a pasting from Dublin but they battered Kerry by 12 (it could have been 18/20) yesterday and they can do it to any team.
I could be very wrong but I don't think there's any better prep for the team ahead of May 13th than two matches against the Dubs, trying to match them is the standard Mayo have lifted themselves to every year since 2012, this is where Galway are looking to get to.

Speaking of Dublin, I was in CP for the Dublin-Kerry match yesterday and the bottom line is that unless Mayo have a massive performance in a win or go home game next August/September against the Dubs, I can't see them being caught by anyone, they toyed with Kerry yesterday and taking into account the list of players that didn't tog out for them, it's hard to believe how far out in front of everyone they are in terms of quality throughout a squad.
The Galway lads will surely know what the gold standard to aspire to is after the league final on the 1st April, hopefully Galway Aprils Fools day related headlines on the match reports won't be what we're just looking at on the 2nd!

Spot on as usual, would have too see some stats but thought their was their was a slight improvement on kickouts in the first half or more likely it was my imagination. There's no point in over analysing the 2nd half kickouts because of the extra man. The 2nd half did show that when Galway applied more pressure to Monaghans kickouts they did well on them and got plenty of scores as a direct result of winning them. I'm expecting Galway to really struggle for possession on Sunday which should lead to a comfortable Dublin win, I'm hoping this will lead to a change in strategy going forward with the kickouts.

It appears its only Galway who will suffer from a hammering by the Dubs, they've dished out hidings to practically everyone the last few years but its only it appears its only Galway who will suffer a huge psychological blow because of it. If Galway get beat by Mayo on the May the 13th it won't be down to two hammerings at the hands of the Dubs.

This is a young Galway panel who hopefully in a couple of years with 3 or 4 more additions may have a chance of challenging for the big prize.

I would not be so sure! Heavy defeats can be soul destroying especially for defenders!

Hound

Quote from: larryin89 on March 12, 2018, 05:59:08 PM
This is why its just pure rubbish even debating with supporters , Dublin fans just believe they happen to come into a golden era because of trojan work done on the ground and above the ground. No extra finances were ever received , playing all their fooking home  league games as well as championship games in croke park is of absolutely no advantage . The super 8 stuff is on another level , I cant for the life of me get my

Moaning about a debate, then completely ignoring the issue that was being disagreed!

Do you believe Dublin players don't work? Do you believe, for example, Cluxton and Macauley arent schoolteachers? That they were both so good on Sunday because of the millions pumped into Dublin?

The money is a complete red herring. That goes into grassroots to help participation. Yes, you could argue that it helps keep more young lads in GAA rather than rugby and soccer, but it doesn't make our good lads better.
Do you believe had Con O'Callaghan's father stayed in Westmeath that he'd be any worse a player? (He'd arguably be better because he may not have spend so much of his time with a hurl!)
Do you believe had John Heslin's dad moved to Dublin, that Heslin would be an even better player?
It's volunteers that coached those two lads, in both counties. Development squads in Dublin coached by unpaid past players doing "trojan work".

Of course we have a big advantage with population, even if there are large pockets of Dublin with zero interest. And the population is only going one way. That's not Dublin's fault that most of the best jobs in the country seem to be here, so its makes training for other counties so much harder with so many of their players working here.

We have a great bunch of players, who play their hearts out every time they put on the jersey. Some have superb natural god given talents, and others like Macauley have got to where they are through hard graft. I know many like to put them down and belittle their achievements, but that's up to them. Probably just drives the lads on even more.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2018, 10:46:21 AM

I would not be so sure! Heavy defeats can be soul destroying especially for defenders!
Has anyone the view that Galway might go on and win this league title? Kerry this time last year fell into the final their form wasnt great while Galway have strolled into the final with a few games to spare. I suppose it all depends what is Galways plan B if and when Dublin break down their defensive system.

Dinny Breen

There you have it. Money makes no difference, it's all natural god given talent and hard work.

Every other county needs to work harder.
#newbridgeornowhere

Orchard park

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 12, 2018, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2018, 03:44:30 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 12, 2018, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2018, 12:25:30 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 12, 2018, 11:18:46 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2018, 06:39:08 PM
Quote from: ashman on March 11, 2018, 05:09:13 PM
To be honest football is now like the all blacks playing all Ireland league teams .  They are at another level to every other team .  The authorities have created a monster .
The Dubs are loving lording it over Kerry. It was the other way around in the 80s. And it won't last forever.
seafoid, mo chara buan, sometimes you do live up to your handle and this is one of those times. ;D
Can you tell us why you think there is a connection between what happened in the 80s and what is happening now?
And while I'm at it, what makes you think Dublin's dominance won't last forever.
Because Cody couldn't do it . Real Madrid can't do it 
I lived through the Kilkenny stranglehold and saw them in 3 all Ireland finals  They were operating at a higher level like the Dubs now. The more all Irelands the better they got. The more experience. The more insight. The more playing as a team. And the further away they got from the competition the further away individual players got from potential replacements. The team worked as a perfect machine  . You couldn't develop someone to replace Tommy Walsh . So they didn't. 
And the wheels fell off after the core players retired. The backs now need years to get back to the level of 2014. Success on that scale breeds guaranteed failure.
Fair enough but Kilkenny didn't have any material advantage over their peers. Kilkenny has a population of less than 100,000 and has only 12 senior clubs. Dublin has a population of 1.345 million, which amounts to one third the population of the Irish Republic.
The Kilkenny county board was so piss poor that players had to stand outside churches one Sunday with plastic buckets to cadge money to pay for their own holiday abroad. They got beaten in the end, same as Kerry in the 80s, because they didn't have enough players of sufficient quality to replace the Tyrell and Shefflin, to name but two, when they had to make way for younger men.
Dublin has no problem whatever with younger players lining up to challenge for first team places. That will keep the older players on their toes and will ensure that there will be scraps for places from here to eternity. Ten of the team that beat Kerry in 2011 weren't first teamers in last year's final and yet we are asked to believe that Dublin's success can be put down to the excellence of the present players. When Cluckpo and Berno and Dermo and the likes retire, Dublin will be just another ordinary team again or so we are asked to believe.
That reminds me of Con Houlihan's grandfather's turf spade. According to legend, that particular sléan was still as good as the day it was bought over 100 years before. It only had three new handles and four new heads but it was still the same as ever.
Large swathes of BAC are GAA wastelands so population means less than it does on paper.

There is a team sport dynamic that all great teams are subject to. Liverpool never got back winning League titles. AC Milan fell off their perch. So did Man Utd.

It is a pity Mayo didn't have 2 more scoring forwards that they could have nicked 2 or 3 of the Sams they played for. Other counties will emerge. That is the way it will always be. I am sure Kerry are not happy.
What I've bolded is the main cause of concern for Dublin's officialdom and for the GAA in general. In simple terms, the future of the Association is under more threat in Dublin than anywhere else in the country and present attempts to address this are doing as much long term harm as good.
In spite of the senior team's high profile, the Gah in the capital is losing market share and this is why John Costello made such an impassioned plea for more money, even if that means leaving everywhere else short in his last report to the county's AGM.
But, and this is crucial, the development grant aid that other counties crib about is not being spent to best effect. The emphasis is on developing young players' skill levels, which is fair enough but those schemes aren't designed to attract an uncommitted youngster to join any club.
The population of Dublin increased by 17% between the census years of 2011 and 2016 but there was no such increase in the number of clubs or registered players in the county.
I asked a few questions about this some weeks ago and the only new club anyone could think of was Tyrellstown and it seems that one is in danger of losing its pitches.
As far as I can see, the high profile of the current senior hasn't brought about a significant increase in the numbers wanting to join clubs.
When you have just one team to represent around one third of the population in the republic, you can't expect large scale support from the general public.

I think you are wrong on this part, there is an annual increase year on year from 2011 onwards in numbers of registered players, with the majority of the increase being juvenile.

i agree wit you the regards the lack of new clubs but the existing large clubs are mushrooming further

Jinxy

Quote from: dublin7 on March 13, 2018, 10:42:41 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 12, 2018, 10:24:06 PM

For what it's worth here's a few of them:

Cluxton=secondary school teacher
MacCauley=primary school teacher
O'Sullivan=tax consultant for PWC
Fenton=physio

They're all on the Dublin website for anyone interested. Also provides details of medals won so anyone can do a cost per medal for each player if they want for their arguments for financial doping

What about McCaffrey and Fitzsimmons doing mickey mouse medical degrees?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 13, 2018, 11:30:21 AM
There you have it. Money makes no difference, it's all natural god given talent and hard work.

Every other county needs to work harder.
Them lazy hoors in Fermanagh, Laythrum and Longford.
They could have 2 or 3 All Irelands each if they'd only put in the effort.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

If they ship two heavy defeats what is the soul destroying revelation? That Galway are not as good as Dublin and way off the standard of their team and squad? We all know what already.
What happens if it doesn't go as bad as expected? Does that mean that Galway are then nailed on to beat Mayo given that Mayo are not as good as Dublin? Of course not. Galway are a long way off Dublin but what's the point of being in Division One if they don't learn by experience playing against the best team in the country.

I agree 100% with Maroon Manc, the results against Dublin next Sunday and on Easter Sunday will have nothing to do with whether we can overcome Mayo in Castlebar in May.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 13, 2018, 11:28:55 AM

Has anyone the view that Galway might go on and win this league title? Kerry this time last year fell into the final their form wasnt great while Galway have strolled into the final with a few games to spare. I suppose it all depends what is Galways plan B if and when Dublin break down their defensive system.

I think we might give them a decent game next weekend in Salthill. It's meant to be baltic and if the wind is whipping in off the Atlantic it won't be pleasant. I'd be a bit worried about the league final though, that it could get ugly.