Newspaper Items

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 26, 2015, 01:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Brilliant tribute to the great Ross Munnelly, what a fantastic player...

https://www.facebook.com/mauricewalshphotography/videos/1337315106389417/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Joeythelips

What a player he was at his peak, a great servant to his club and county. He would be one off the Leinster winning team that would make an all time great laois team IMO (alongside Tom Kelly and Joe Higgins).
My main memory of him was the 2005 Leinster final when although they lost they lost the fact that they should have won was due mainly to Ross. I had the perfect view a couple rows from the front of the upper Hogan that day, he was telling players to get out of the way and make room for him, as he would sprint from one side of the pitch to the other to win possession and take on the Dublin's defence, demanding the ball off his team mates when Laois needed it most, scoring points, setting up team mates and winning frees. He was incredible to watch.
The other memory is of watching Arles Kilcruise play in their first Leinster championship game  on TG4 24 hours after winning their first county title (a disgrace of course), we saw the professionalism of all the Arles players that day but in particular Chris Conway and Ross. The fact the they won was incredible.

OTF

We've had some fantastic forwards during my time watching Laois  ( 50  years  ;D) some with outstanding natural talent  and much acclaimed.
But for me, for his ability ( he must be our all time highest scorer no) his determination his longevity and most of all for his attitude Ross would be by far the best Laois forward I have seen.

Tony

It would be great to keep him involved in years to come. What a great attitude he has, toss up between him and Cahir Healy as most committed, dedicated Laois GAA player. Would love to see him in underage development - he speaks very well and has time for everyone. He's really someone to look up to in Laois GAA.

redsetanta

He should be brought in as a GDO alongside Colm Begley even if it means moving someone elsewhere. The kids really look up to him and he has a great work ethic.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The Monument Road

Quote from: redsetanta on July 17, 2017, 02:19:34 PM
He should be brought in as a GDO alongside Colm Begley even if it means moving someone elsewhere. The kids really look up to him and he has a great work ethic.
Agree but dont hold your breadth. The present set up is embedded and will take a lot of changes at the top for that to happen. The GDAs as they stand have been a total failure ( Begley, a recent addition is not included in that opinion).

Junior Ex Laoistalk

That may be so but are they getting the support they need.

Unison

It was disappointing to see Laois u16s getting a bad beating from Meath in the Gerry Reilly Cup at the weekend. A reflection on the under age coaching in the county again?

I thought this team was supposed to be fairly good.

SCFC

Quote from: Unison on July 18, 2017, 11:02:29 AM
It was disappointing to see Laois u16s getting a bad beating from Meath in the Gerry Reilly Cup at the weekend. A reflection on the under age coaching in the county again?

I thought this team was supposed to be fairly good.
think the 17s are better than the 16s. To be fair the 16s won their 2 previous games in that competition.

The Monument Road

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 18, 2017, 10:56:27 AM
Well they are getting well paid. I'd love to know if the GDAs have achieved the highest coaching qualification  required . I have my doubts

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Zooming around

Quote from: The Monument Road on July 18, 2017, 11:50:47 AM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 18, 2017, 10:56:27 AM
Well they are getting well paid. I'd love to know if the GDAs have achieved the highest coaching qualification  required . I have my doubts

How much are they on?

clonadmad

€28k

I know of 2 clubs not too far from Laois looking to part fund one with help from their county board

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: clonadmad on July 28, 2017, 09:27:46 PM
€28k

I know of 2 clubs not too far from Laois looking to part fund one with help from their county board

Why would clubs and co. boards outside of Laois look to part fund our GDA's. Really don't get that one  !!!!

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 29, 2017, 12:57:05 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 28, 2017, 09:27:46 PM
€28k

Why would clubs and co. boards outside of Laois look to part fund our GDA's. Really don't get that one  !!!!

Tell me you are joking!
In fairness 28k is not exactly huge money for an ambitious person!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......