Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

Anyone think McKibben is worth a start on Saturday evening. I thought he done well when introduced against Tyrone.

TheClutch

Quote from: ardtole on July 26, 2017, 07:41:53 AM
Anyone think McKibben is worth a start on Saturday evening. I thought he done well when introduced against Tyrone.

Who would you drop in his place? I think he's a good option to come on later in the game when other teams are tiring. Turley & Donnelly have been solid in midfield so far - deserve their start imho.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

extra time

I think a few changes to freshen things uo would be a good thing, and maybe throw Monaghan a bit. O'Hare to start, maybe Mooney pushed up to half forward and K MC K to play his sweeping role from midfield. We would miss big Peter,s strength round the middle but could be used later in the game.

PAULD123

Quote from: extra time on July 26, 2017, 12:54:46 PM
I think a few changes to freshen things uo would be a good thing, and maybe throw Monaghan a bit. O'Hare to start, maybe Mooney pushed up to half forward and K MC K to play his sweeping role from midfield. We would miss big Peter,s strength round the middle but could be used later in the game.

What does freshen things up mean? Surely we are looking for consistency and improvement not radical flip flopping for the craic.

Why O'Hare? Why put in someone that hasn't played all year? O'Hare was basically a free taker, contributed little from play and rarely scored from play. Didn't create chances for other players either.

If McKernan plays sweeper from midfield we automatically move the play further into our half. Why surrender territory?

If you move Mooney up the field who plays half back? Also you have just reduced your fielding ability by taking of Turley. If we lose midfield then what's the point in having Mooney in the forward line?

extra time

If you dont know what freshen things up means forget about it. Surrender territory! Have you been watching football lately. Mooney could be given a free role further up the pitch and Either of McKibben  or McArdle could play half back. Plenty of space in Croke Park to work kick outs. Whats the point of having fellas on the panel without giving them a chance. My whole reason for suggesting a few changes was because of playing Monaghan again.

Hoes before bros

Surely O'Hare will start instead of Jerome. Yes he's not a big scorer from play but we are 3 games into the championship and Jerome is yet to score from play. The rest of extras posts there are a pile of shite

SHEEDY

Agree that jeromes place must be under threat most probably from o'hare but I would also bring in david mckibben for turley. I'd play mckibben in the no.7 jersey and move mooney to midfield. Croke park is a big pitch and we need legs and mobility in the middle 3rd. Turley and jerome to come on when game slows down in 2nd half, jerome maybe can have more impact from the bench. Its all only opinions guys.
nil satis nisi optimum

PAULD123

Jerome hasn't looked great this year so far. I wonder if it is due to the mobility of the forward line. Harrsion doesn't exactly run around like a live wire and Ryan has ben played deep. Seems to me that Jerome prospers best when he is in a forward line that is moving teh defensive line around. At the College he had McCaratn and McGreevy running around and for Kilcoo he has Laverty

Smurfy123

Would the fact that Jerome is being marked by better defenders than he faces in Down not be the reason he has not been great this year?It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that players run about more.He has got plenty of ball but he just can't shake off his marker.Someone has asked why we need to freshen things up?Did you not see the Tyrone game?Tirally outplayed all over the field.Our biggest ball carrier Poland not used until the last 10 minutes even though it was clear the long ball game was not going to work?Our midfield were getting destroyed.McKibben needs to start

snoopdog

I can't see oharas offering anymore than Jerome.  As someone else says he rarely scores from play for Down a good free taker yes but not sure if change for changes sake is required. Speed through the middle with mooney running at monaghan will cause them problems.

extra time

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 27, 2017, 09:14:17 AM
Would the fact that Jerome is being marked by better defenders than he faces in Down not be the reason he has not been great this year?It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that players run about more.He has got plenty of ball but he just can't shake off his marker.Someone has asked why we need to freshen things up?Did you not see the Tyrone game?Tirally outplayed all over the field.Our biggest ball carrier Poland not used until the last 10 minutes even though it was clear the long ball game was not going to work?Our midfield were getting destroyed.McKibben needs to start
Good to see there's more than me talking a "pile of shite". ;)

PAULD123

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 27, 2017, 09:14:17 AM

Well that's definitely going to reduce his impact and a fair point. But I still think that certain players suit certain systems. Mickey Linden was a terrific footballer but became most effective after James McCartan joined the team. James brought great movement and shifted the opposition defence leaving gaps for Mickey to avail off. Mickey did the same for James.

With a defensive line that is able to keep shape a small nimble forward will always struggle. He needs the defence to be moved about to find gaps to get through. Laverty pulled the shape out of defensive lines all day long. If we are not going to have a mobile forward line then probably better with bigger players up front.

But yeah better defenders will of course be a very big part of the equation.

Smurfy123

Someone has to talk shite extra
Sure isn't that what it's about
If there was a bullshit page on here we would be on it 😂😂

Hoes before bros

Smurfy is a seasoned pro at talking shite extra. You could learn a lot from him

Targetman

Apparently no changes on the Down team for tomorrow, thought he might have given Mc kibben a start, Jerome Johnston's lucky to get another start, no scores in 3 matches ,he needs to step up tomorrow, it's a game we are well capable of winning but i expect a response from Monaghan that could lead to a fairly physical encounter, anyway the prize of a crack at the Dubs is there for the winner whether you want it or not, Down by the minimum!!