A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Yet another fatality on the A5 on Friday. The absolute carnage goes on.

An Watcher

Friday lunchtime by any chance?  Huge tailbacks coming into Omagh from Ballygawley.  There're no end to the fatalities

Walter Cronc

My god this has to end! Surely small incremental dualling (which eventually joins up) can be the first step. The worst sections to begin with. The Irish government boasting of huge surplus in cash surely can make steps as we can't rely on Tory Britain.

Eire90

nothing will change until a politician is involved in a crash

armaghniac

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 23, 2023, 07:41:21 PM
My god this has to end! Surely small incremental dualling (which eventually joins up) can be the first step. The worst sections to begin with. The Irish government boasting of huge surplus in cash surely can make steps as we can't rely on Tory Britain.

The Irish government can chip in their bit, but they cannot ensure that the planning etc goes ahead.
Dublin is treading water on the N2 dualling, connecting the NW is not a priority to the likes of Eamon Ryan.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Snapchap

Quote from: Eire90 on July 23, 2023, 08:26:00 PM

This isn't being held up by politicians. Its being held up by greedy, sectarian landowners.

LeoMc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 23, 2023, 07:41:21 PM

The planned new road is off line rather than dualling the existing road. The current road has too many entrances and exits to upgrade.

They could however break the project down further than the 3(?) current segments.

trailer

Quote from: Snapchap on July 24, 2023, 07:29:23 AM

This isn't being held up by politicians. Its being held up by greedy, sectarian landowners.

A microcosm of everything that is wrong with this shithole. Nothing ever gets done. Everything is green and orange. Absolute morons elected to high office coupled with incompetent wankstains in the civil service. A clusterfuck of shitness that we must live under.

LeoMc

I see the All Ireland rail review has proposed a new Derry-Strabane-Omagh-Dungannon-Portadown line. Whilst it is unlikely to happen in our lifetimes, if the money was there to implement it now, what are the chances the same objectors would be against this as the A5.

armaghniac

Quote from: LeoMc on July 26, 2023, 07:51:51 PM
I see the All Ireland rail review has proposed a new Derry-Strabane-Omagh-Dungannon-Portadown line. Whilst it is unlikely to happen in our lifetimes, if the money was there to implement it now, what are the chances the same objectors would be against this as the A5.

The people of Carrickmore might not object, but you could have the same objections between Omagh and Strabane. The railway ran on the West bank of the Foyle, as the new road should have done, and this might ease things too.
In any case, I do not see such a project ever occurring and if it does it will be long after NI has ceased to exist.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

restorepride

Quote from: Snapchap on July 24, 2023, 07:29:23 AM

100% correct.

naka

As a first stage can we not have a series of the average speed cameras on the road  and ban overtaking on some parts
seems there should be some easy changes to save lives

WeeDonns

Quote from: naka on July 27, 2023, 08:21:31 AM
As a first stage can we not have a series of the average speed cameras on the road  and ban overtaking on some parts
seems there should be some easy changes to save lives

Not sure if average speed cameras would combat the issue
I don't believe its road users speeding for the majority of their journey along the route - it's people taking risks, e.g overtaking slow moving vehicles, when its unsafe to do so or people joining the road when its not clear (speed possibly a factor there)

Milltown Row2

Speed cameras will bring the death rate down nearly straight away, yes people will always make a bad judgement at a junction, but I'd rather make a bad judgement at a junction, knowing the speed of the of the traffic will be 50 or 40 miles per hour rather than 60 plus.

The road needs doing though, probably only ever been on it once or twice, but it is a mess for that volume of traffic
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 27, 2023, 09:03:14 AM
Speed cameras will bring the death rate down nearly straight away, yes people will always make a bad judgement at a junction, but I'd rather make a bad judgement at a junction, knowing the speed of the of the traffic will be 50 or 40 miles per hour rather than 60 plus.

The road needs doing though, probably only ever been on it once or twice, but it is a mess for that volume of traffic

Best option to get the new road build asap.

More lives will be lost on it unfortunately before it's completed.

During the enquiry, who were the people who objected? Was there a group or individuals?