A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: clarshack on April 27, 2023, 08:42:53 PM
Seen the Police had to put out a statement for people not to be taking/sharing pictures of the crash scene.
Wtf is wrong with people? there should be a law where anyone caught taking or sharing such images goes to prison. No exceptions.

I think this also happened to some poor woman who died in a crash on the M50.

Unfortunately with the amount of shite we see online and get sent on our phones we've become desensitised to this kinda thing.

marty34

Quote from: clarshack on April 27, 2023, 08:42:53 PM
Seen the Police had to put out a statement for people not to be taking/sharing pictures of the crash scene.
Wtf is wrong with people? there should be a law where anyone caught taking or sharing such images goes to prison. No exceptions.

I think this also happened to some poor woman who died in a crash on the M50.

Correct.

What is wrong with people?

Tony Baloney

The young fella got sent it and showed it to me. Absolutely sickening that people think that it is normal to take and share those sort of images. I made him delete it.

Rois

Just heard that I know the family involved. Heartbreaking.

Aaron Boone

Even when new road gets the go-ahead it will be built in pieces e.g. Newbuildings bit first then say Omagh by-pass bit.

I think where today's accident was not a priority stretch to get upgraded as the traffic is less heavy after Ballygawley roundabout with lots of the traffic flow going to Belfast at that point.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on April 27, 2023, 03:12:18 PM
Quote from: TabClear on April 27, 2023, 03:07:42 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on April 27, 2023, 12:27:10 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 27, 2023, 12:07:45 PM
Who is to blame here. Surely Sinn Fein can get more done on this??? F*CK we hear more about casement than this road!!!
The people to blame are the 'Alternative A5 Alliance' group. They have furstrated and delayed the process at every turn with a succession of legal challenges etc and the blood of every victim who dies on that road is on their hands. Let there be no doubt or confusion or muddying the waters about that.

Who is bankrolling this group? Legal challenges cant be cheap, even for your normal "landowner"

Another gripe I have is that reporters will say "An AA5A spokeperson says..." f**king name them. They can't remain faceless!

Some lad called Hamilton Hazzard seems to be their main spokesman, not hard to find.

smelmoth

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 27, 2023, 03:46:38 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on April 27, 2023, 03:41:57 PM
Thankfully i've never had to drive on this road before. What is the issues with it? Bendy road? Loads of crossings?

Others will know better than me but I recently was on it - winding bends, overtaking lanes (utter disaster), volume of traffic and tractors were the main observations. People forced to take needless risks.

I have every sympathy with those who those who say they are forced to sit and wait a long time before they can join the road. And we all have massive sympathy for the families impacted by the number of tragedies on this road.

I am less sympathetic to to the claim that people are "forced" to take "needless risks". In addition to the obvious contradiction in terms we have to use the road that's there, with all its frustrations, rather the road that we want to be there.

There is no doubt that this upgrade is long overdue. Along with the York Street junction in Belfast these issues desperately need addressing. Someone mentioned Casement Park. Most would agree that these 2 road projects are much higher priorities.

AustinPowers

Would a reopening  Of the  railway from Derry to portadown help ease  traffic numbers in  that part of the country?

I doubt we'll ever see  it happen mind you ,  but  I think it's needed. Along with the  A5, obviously

Eamonnca1

Quote from: smelmoth on April 28, 2023, 03:41:52 PM
Thankfully i've never had to drive on this road before. What is the issues with it? Bendy road? Loads of crossings?

Others will know better than me but I recently was on it - winding bends, overtaking lanes (utter disaster), volume of traffic and tractors were the main observations. People forced to take needless risks.

I have every sympathy with those who those who say they are forced to sit and wait a long time before they can join the road. And we all have massive sympathy for the families impacted by the number of tragedies on this road.

I am less sympathetic to to the claim that people are "forced" to take "needless risks". In addition to the obvious contradiction in terms we have to use the road that's there, with all its frustrations, rather the road that we want to be there.

There is no doubt that this upgrade is long overdue. Along with the York Street junction in Belfast these issues desperately need addressing. Someone mentioned Casement Park. Most would agree that these 2 road projects are much higher priorities.

Swallow up half the city with a giant motorway interchange? I don't think so. That project has to be knocked on the head.

smelmoth

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 28, 2023, 05:16:15 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 28, 2023, 03:41:52 PM

Swallow up half the city with a giant motorway interchange? I don't think so. That project has to be knocked on the head.

A very strange response.

How much of the city do you actually think will be built on?

Then we can look at the constraints placed by the current junction.

seafoid

Nobody should die on the A5. The problem is the economic model used in the North. It doesn't work any more.
There are loads of other problems that need attention in the form of money.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

smelmoth

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2023, 05:33:25 PM
Nobody should die on the A5. The problem is the economic model used in the North. It doesn't work any more.
There are loads of other problems that need attention in the form of money.
we'll just post the solution and then we can on with implementing that

Eamonnca1

Quote from: smelmoth on April 28, 2023, 05:31:49 PM

A very strange response.

How much of the city do you actually think will be built on?

Then we can look at the constraints placed by the current junction.

Motorway junctions take up vast amounts of space that could be put to more financially sustainable use. They take up more room than you think, and it becomes clearer when you superimpose them on actual revenue-generating city blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln5oTdi8CNM

In the case of Belfast, the Sailortown area was all but obliterated by the motorway.

Wildweasel74

Somebody mentioned needless risks, what's the defintion of such? Used to drive to Omagh for work from Magherafelt direction. Roughly 30mile from Ctown to Omagh, Over that distance there literally only 2 long stretches of the road to overtake say a slow moving lorry or 2 of such in a row, otherwise you may be driving 40odd mile an hr, the whole way to Omagh. Can get you frustrated trying to get to work.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 28, 2023, 07:13:58 PM
Somebody mentioned needless risks, what's the defintion of such? Used to drive to Omagh for work from Magherafelt direction. Roughly 30mile from Ctown to Omagh, Over that distance there literally only 2 long stretches of the road to overtake say a slow moving lorry or 2 of such in a row, otherwise you may be driving 40odd mile an hr, the whole way to Omagh. Can get you frustrated trying to get to work.

That might be me you are quoting..I meant needless in the sense if a proper dual carriageway was in place it wouldn't place drivers in that predicament - as you described.

Any idea on the ages of the deceased?