A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Unfortunately I heard there's more than 1 fatality. Tragic.

Walter Cronc

Who is to blame here. Surely Sinn Fein can get more done on this??? F*CK we hear more about casement than this road!!!

Snapchap

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 27, 2023, 12:07:45 PM
Who is to blame here. Surely Sinn Fein can get more done on this??? F*CK we hear more about casement than this road!!!
The people to blame are the 'Alternative A5 Alliance' group. They have furstrated and delayed the process at every turn with a succession of legal challenges etc and the blood of every victim who dies on that road is on their hands. Let there be no doubt or confusion or muddying the waters about that.

trailer

It's a microcosm of NI. A complete failure in politics by all the parties, government and Civil Servants. Nothing is ever done. Nothing is ever achieved.

trailer

DUP and UUP politicians offer sympathy but no reporter has asked them if they support the new road.

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on April 27, 2023, 12:27:52 PM

It's a microcosm of NI. A complete failure in politics by all the parties, government and Civil Servants. Nothing is ever done. Nothing is ever achieved.

Muddying the waters and ignoring the real reason for the delays. Things can get done. Other roads are done routinely. This project has not gotten off the ground purely as a result of obstruction by the 'Alternative A5 Alliance' group of landowners, and they should not be let off the hook like that when we get tragedies like todays.

As the Tyrone County Board noted at the launch of their 'A5: Enough is Enough' launch in January:

The A8 road scheme between Belfast and Larne started in May 2008 and was completed in December 2016. That was 7 years, 6 months and 25 days from beginning to end.
If the A5 had been delivered in a similar timeframe 22 of the A5 deaths might well have been avoided. At the current rate at least another 4 deaths will occur on the A5 in 2023.

Sadly it seems at least one of those 4 deaths has now occurred already. Who'd realistically expect the number to only reach 4 by the end of this year?

Put them blame squarely where it f**king belongs.

trailer

Quote from: Snapchap on April 27, 2023, 12:34:22 PM

Muddying the waters and ignoring the real reason for the delays. Things can get done. Other roads are done routinely. This project has not gotten off the ground purely as a result of obstruction by the 'Alternative A5 Alliance' group of landowners, and they should not be let off the hook like that when we get tragedies like todays.

As the Tyrone County Board noted at the launch of their 'A5: Enough is Enough' launch in January:

The A8 road scheme between Belfast and Larne started in May 2008 and was completed in December 2016. That was 7 years, 6 months and 25 days from beginning to end.
If the A5 had been delivered in a similar timeframe 22 of the A5 deaths might well have been avoided. At the current rate at least another 4 deaths will occur on the A5 in 2023.

Sadly it seems at least one of those 4 deaths has now occurred already. Who'd realistically expect the number to only reach 4 by the end of this year?

I agree the AA5A have been the road blocking organisation but with correct political oversight and a proper run civil service this should already have been built. Like you said other roads get built and you think nobody is objecting to them?

I should say that I spoke with Nicola Mallon when she ran the Infrastructure department and the goings on was ridiculous. They wouldn't agree to anything. Everything needed another meeting. At times they held meeting before and after meeting her with no minutes. The carry on was of a group of people trying to keep their jobs while doing very little work. Health and Infrastructure were the last two portfolios picked the last time D'Hondt was run. There's a reason for that.

Walter Cronc

I thought for major infrastructure projects you have a compulsory purchase order where the landowner has to free up the land and are compensated appropriately.

Surely to God they aren't blocking this road over some warped idea of a road to Dublin! Please tell me they ain't that bad. It's not as if the A1 Belfast to Newry runs through solely nationalist areas and it's getting upgraded - another death trap of a road BTW

Feckitt

I'm not from Tyrone but I have had cause to be on that road a couple of times lately and it is a genuinely scary experience.  I'm no shrinking violet my any stretch, but it was an extremely stressful experience driving between Caledon and Aughnacloy on the very straight road where the overtaking is absolutely f**king ridiculous.  Then the stretch between Ballygawley and Omagh has so many hazards it beggars belief.
They need to get this death trap of a road sorted, but in the mean time people need to slow down.  I don't know the details of the latest crash and I am not trying to speculate, but ordinary decent people drive in such a reckless manner every day

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on April 27, 2023, 12:38:11 PM

I agree the AA5A have been the road blocking organisation but with correct political oversight and a proper run civil service this should already have been built. Like you said other roads get built and you think nobody is objecting to them?

Any large infrastructure project will have objectors, but that doesn't mean that fault can just be lazily placed at the door of the Civil Service and politicians. To say that the road would be completed only for them is just total waffle. Legal challenges supersede the influence of both. Not one yard or tar has been put down on this road squarely a result of legal challenges by a group of landowners acting out of both selfish and, call a spade a spade... sectarian interests, and hiding behind bogus claims of environmentalism while remaining totally unmoved by the ever increasing number of lives lost.

Letting these AA5A b*****ds off the hook, especially on a day like today, is just not on.

Franko

I should say that I spoke with Nicola Mallon when she ran the Infrastructure department and the goings on was ridiculous. They wouldn't agree to anything. Everything needed another meeting. At times they held meeting before and after meeting her with no minutes. The carry on was of a group of people trying to keep their jobs while doing very little work. Health and Infrastructure were the last two portfolios picked the last time D'Hondt was run. There's a reason for that.

Sorry, but the blame for that lies squarely with their boss... who was Nichola

trailer

Quote from: Franko on April 27, 2023, 01:00:54 PM

When the project was announced and agreed Conor Murphy (SF) was the minister. Danny Kennedy (UUP), Michelle McIlveen (DUP) and Chris Hazard (SF) have all held the post. Do they not all share blame?

Furthermore - it is not lazy to blame the CS and ministers. The land had already went through a compulsory purchase and in the New Buildings area had been fenced off in preparation of the road starting (roughly 2014 / 15 from memory). Why was that done if the road was still undergoing a legal challenge?
Incompetence has dogged the project. CS shitheads who would be completely unemployable in the private workplace.

armaghniac

The way public expenditure in NI is going, the 26 county government will have to donate some money to surface this road never mind widen it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Franko

Quote from: trailer on April 27, 2023, 01:52:13 PM

When the project was announced and agreed Conor Murphy (SF) was the minister. Danny Kennedy (UUP), Michelle McIlveen (DUP) and Chris Hazard (SF) have all held the post. Do they not all share blame?

Furthermore - it is not lazy to blame the CS and ministers. The land had already went through a compulsory purchase and in the New Buildings area had been fenced off in preparation of the road starting (roughly 2014 / 15 from memory). Why was that done if the road was still undergoing a legal challenge?
Incompetence has dogged the project. CS shitheads who would be completely unemployable in the private workplace.

If the same things were going on in the department under those ministers - then yes, they do share the blame

But if what you say is correct, that's a bit ridiculous from Nichola

She was the head honcho - if her department was a shambles, well that's nobody's responsibility but hers

PS. you'll get no argument from me about CS and their relative employability in the private sector

PPS. I can't imagine you making the same excuses for ministers from 'other' parties

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on April 27, 2023, 01:52:13 PM

And how did the erection of a bit fencing delay the road? Your claim was that the road would be complete by now were it not for the incompetence of politicians and civil servants, which is a wholly stupid thing to say. The delay have been down to the succession of legal challenges by the morally bankrupt AA5A group. Are you suggesting that politicians and civil servants should have cracked on with the construction and ignored the legal procedures they are bound by?